IGNORED

Best USB to SPDIF converter

A direct comparison between the mLink and the uLink, only SPDIF output, showed a different result. The mLink is a really nice divice, but the uLink has a clarity and musicality, which is far away from the mLink. Can't think about the RefLink, maybe it was better to not hear this device in my system. ;-)

My old USB - SPDIF converter was a MF V-Link with a linear PSU, which was between the two Belcanto devices. But both Belcanto where powered by the mainboard and not the linear PSU.

Interesting. Tells me 2 things: 1) a lot of intersystem variability, or YMMV for USB-SPDIFs, not really surprising per se. 2) I'll probably need to investigate better USB power sources (iFi etc.)

Have you guys tried something like an iUSB Power between PC and Dac with those Bel Canto links?

I have a Lindemman 24/192 DDC and it made a significant difference to the vibrancy of the music.

No, but I use a 'Best-of-two-worlds' 5V linear psu in combination with a self-made connection between PC and USB-SPDIF converter, now the old V-Link. There is indeed a significant difference - to use your words :-)

But I did not test this psu with the uLink - but of course it will happen. I am sure, the difference will be huge!

Bernhard

Thanks Barrows!

Btw, I stopped by Pat's today to pick up my Legato ii. Listening right out of box just confirms my belief that redbook IS high resolution in the right system and with quality recordings. This is the best my system has sounded.

I don't know how Pat does it over a spdif connection because it defies common wisdom, but the sound can't be denied.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I've had the Legato II for a few months now and really enjoy it. I added the Sotm card and it got even better. My dac is the Anedio 2, and I am using the mapleshade USB cable that Jud recommended, the Coax cable is made by Blue Jean cable.

My other set up consisists of SOtM dX-USB-HD, mBPS-d2s and the SOtMtX-USB using AQ Carbon usb cable and a Blue Jean Coax cable, and the dac is theYulong D18.

I have the Cardas clear USB cable on order, should receive it tomorrow.

Someone was mentioning femtosecond jitter and the Legato II, this webarticle talks about what femtosecond jitter is, and the web site is awesome in general, it has articles about dacs and computer audio, I'm sure you guys would enjoy it, I just wanted to share that with you all. My first post so be kind please.

Wicked Digital - Super DACs with Femtosecond Jitter!

Thanks Barrows!

Btw, I stopped by Pat's today to pick up my Legato ii. Listening right out of box just confirms my belief that redbook IS high resolution in the right system and with quality recordings. This is the best my system has sounded.

I don't know how Pat does it over a spdif connection because it defies common wisdom, but the sound can't be denied.

Thanks Barrows!

It's because Pat is a wizard.

Unfortunately, the waiting list for the Legato II is "a mile long".

Hopefully someone gets to compare it with more pricey converters.

Quest: on this point, you have probably already read this thread, but there is some commentary with respect to comparisons to more expensive usb/spdif converters:

AR-T Legato II USB-S/PDIF Converter

Cheers

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Quest: on this point, you have probably already read this thread, but there is some commentary with respect to comparisons to more expensive usb/spdif converters:

AR-T Legato II USB-S/PDIF Converter

Cheers

Yes.. because I was one of the contributors in that thread and have compared to several others.

However, I haven't tested against the likes of sonicweld diverter HR2 or others in that range.. I may get a chance to do the sonicweld comparison so let's see.

Thanks.

I was about to pull the trigger on trying one of John Kenny's (MK3).. seems he will be releasing some new toys soon..:

Announcements - Isolated Power Devices

Sounds promising.. native class 2, no Hiface drivers, integer on OS-X ..? I sent him an e-mail (battery?, chipset used?). You guys any clues?

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Yes, sounds very interesting. He says (and I believe him) that his converter has even less background noise than a hiface. Since it is JK, you can be sure it will be battery powered. Will probably be a winner, his other stuff was good, and with good value.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just waded my way through this thread. Considering getting a converter to feed my NAD M51 from the Squeezebox Touch.

Questions on the a-rt legato 2 -- can someone indicate the price of this and is the battery power standard or an option? Also, what happens when you feed it hi-rez - does it downsample?

I just waded my way through this thread. Considering getting a converter to feed my NAD M51 from the Squeezebox Touch.

Questions on the a-rt legato 2 -- can someone indicate the price of this and is the battery power standard or an option? Also, what happens when you feed it hi-rez - does it downsample?

$800

The battery is internal in the chassis of the Legato, and has a wall plug in. So yes, the battery is standard. The battery senses when music has not been played for a time, then automatically starts charging. When music is playing, the battery charger automatically shuts down. Thus, you keep the wall plug plugged in all the time. You would have to play music non-stop for 3 days to totally drain the battery (if memory serves). So unless you plan on playing music non-stop for that long, you don't have to worry about the charging status. Genius design by Pat.

It downsamples hi-rez.

Terrific bargain.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

...if you look the the Sales forum here on CA, then look for my listing, you will see pics of a Legato II so you can see what I am talking about with respect to the wall plug. The Legato that I posted sold within minutes of listing it so it is no longer available. Just thought a visual may help.

If you mostly listen to redbook, this is the best "bang for the buck" converter on the planet IMHO.

hello guys

I'm using a SOtM dxUSB-HD with SuperClock option installed and powered by the SOtM intelligent Dual-Battery PSU, powerless AQVOX USB cable by SOtM PCIe USB Card.

I can highly recommend this combination! i'm using it with a Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC, and it works just like a charm. (also DoP!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

JRiver MC18/JPlay 5.1 Dual-PC Setup (2 x JD's audiophile Win8) > SOtM Filters & tx-USBexp > SOtM dx-USB HD with superclock upgrade (sCLK-2224) & mBPS-d2s > 1.5m VOVOX vocalis AES/EBU > Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC (Rev. 6.0)> 0.75m VOVOX vocalis IC direct > WooAudio WA2 > Beyerdynamic Tesla T1

I was about to pull the trigger on trying one of John Kenny's (MK3).. seems he will be releasing some new toys soon..:

Announcements - Isolated Power Devices

Sounds promising.. native class 2, no Hiface drivers, integer on OS-X ..? I sent him an e-mail (battery?, chipset used?). You guys any clues?

Any feedback on the JK Ciúnas ?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Headphones: Hifiman HE-500//Portable:iPhone 4>Sennheiser MM 100bt}

Swansong,

Ordered the SPDIF with JK. Ciúnas arrived juist last week. Trouble is my listening room is also spare guest-room, and we happen to have guests over...

Also lacking time to spend on the hobby lately, so will report back as soon as I have enough time spent with it for an actual opinion..

So far I have quickly plugged it in with a cheap/stock USB cord and my Harmonic Tech BNC and listened to it on OS-X SL + PureMusic to check for a DOA. Worked fine with native OS drivers, also with integer mode.

Initial impressions (disclaimer: al very hasty & cold out of the box...) on a single Diana krall track (96/24) compared to stock Hiface (version 1) is that it is different. Sense of space / air and timing / decay are slightly better.. Not shocking though. Could not hear difference between Integer / non integer in that one track & half hour I spent with it. Will update you lot on insights later as soon as I have them..

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Thanks Hans,

That's the original hi face no mods (96/24 max)? I look forward to hearing more I am considering a converter but unsure if I want to spend x5 for a very incremental improvement for a non USB powered unit.

I use PM player too can you test up sampling 192/24 via Ciúnas for comparison?

{Newer Tech FW Raid1>MBP i7-128ssd-16gig ram>Pure Music>Pangea AG USB>JK Ciúnas converter>DH-Labs D-75>GF TubeDac-11 (Voskhod "rocket" tube)w/Pangea AC14se>Adam A7x+Sub8w/Pangea AC9's

Any impressions of the JK SPDIF overall regarding other USB converters? Mk3 and Ciúnas units would be very appreciated!

All hi faces go to 192k.

Thanks Hans,

That's the original hi face no mods (96/24 max)? I look forward to hearing more I am considering a converter but unsure if I want to spend x5 for a very incremental improvement for a non USB powered unit.

I use PM player too can you test up sampling 192/24 via Ciúnas for comparison?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hello!

I have a problem, I have tried for two days as a Apogee Rosetta 200 FW as FW-SPDIF converter between iMac + Audirvana + and NAD M2.

The Apogee sounds much much better than hiFace M2Tech Evo!

Rosetta brings more fine dynamics and life into the music, and sounds much more natural!

Does anyone have an experience about it?

Thanks in advance!