IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

I used Amazon. I returned it to Amazon and got a refund. I ordered a new one again through Amazon.

Thanks for the info. I think I have to send it to AQ since mine is more than a month old.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think so when you can buy a gold-plated 6" USB extension for $5 shipped from Amazon:

6" USB Extender

The DragonTail looks like that but with Audioquest logo on the ends. The cable itself doesn't have any fancy jacket on it like other AQ products.

Does that extension cable you linked fit the DF securely? Does the metal on the USB connector show at the joint? The cheapo I got from eBay is a tight fit and covers the entire metal part of the DF. The only issue is it's white and it's 3ft. long.

Yeah, I used it when I had a DF and it worked great. Fits tight and keeps you from having any extra socket-unsocket cycles on the silver plating of the DF. I almost think of the extender as being sacrificial. The cable itself is only 4" long - shorter is better IMO. Takes the stress of of your computer's USB socket and helps with wire routing. You'll still have a small portion of the DF exposed since their design left so much of the metal ground connector exposed. Mostly cosmetic. And at least it's not white! For $5 you can't go wrong. MediaBridge products are legit and reviewed well.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

• 2 months later...
What about Meridian Explorer? It does 192 Khz

It's another $50 over either of these other two and I don't listen to much at that quality anyway. I actually have both the DF and the DACport LX right now, and I'm having a tough time choosing. I get the sense that the DACport is just a higher quality piece of kit. The DF has that great portability aspect, but combined with my Headstage Arrow the DACport seems to be better.

It's another $50 over either of these other two and I don't listen to much at that quality anyway. I actually have both the DF and the DACport LX right now, and I'm having a tough time choosing. I get the sense that the DACport is just a higher quality piece of kit. The DF has that great portability aspect, but combined with my Headstage Arrow the DACport seems to be better.

I wouldn't think about the Meridian Explorer as a DAC to purchase only if you have higher resolution material. That would be like buying a car based on it's top speed and your need to drive at a certain speed. This would exclude all the other factors.

Sure the Explorer is capable of 192, but that's not what makes it so great.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
BOO-YA! After more than a little mucking about, I'm listening to Alison Krauss with mpd running on FreeBSD through the Dragonfly.

The sound is worth it.

I got a Dragonfly today but although it sounds great, there's a POP ever 5 seconds. It's the same for 44.1 and 48 KHz source material.

Here's my setup:

The audio player is xmms 1.2.11.

The DACs I have been using are Realtek ALC883 and ALC888's on the motherboard of my the motherboards on my systems. /dev/sndstat says:

ice 327 % cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ATI R6xx (HDMI)> on hdaa0  (1p:1v/0r:0v)
pcm1: <Realtek ALC883 (Analog 7.1+HP/2.0)> on hdaa1  (1p:2v/2r:1v)
pcm2: <USB audio> at ?  (1p:1v/0r:0v) 

The Dragonfly is pcm2.

I just finished installing musicpd/mpc and getting that working and I still hear pops when playing mp3s.

Another problem I see is that xmms, musicpd and ossplay don't seem to be setting the Dragonfly to the right sample rate; it's always Magenta (96K) and if I use -R with ossplay to inhibit conversions I see:

% ossplay -R -d /dev/audio2 song.wav
Warning: Playback using 96000 Hz (file 48000 Hz) 

And the playback is twice normal speed (and has pops every 5 seconds).

Could you please share your setup (e.g. version of FreeBSD and the ports and port options you're using)? Does the Dragonfly color indicate the sample rate of your input source?

Dunno about the pops, but using JRiver, my Dragonfly shows the correct colour for the sample rate with uncompressed files, but always shows magenta when playing mp3 or .aac.

(Sure, it works correctly for me too under Windows 7; my questions are specific to issues under FreeBSD.)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just picked one of these (DF) up at B_st B_y for $99,,,,running it with xp ,mediamonkey bit perfect output (tested with hdcd rips and my trusty AA dde 1.2) sounds about the same as the cambridge dacmagic 100 for a third of the price ..I am using it as a dac rather than a headphone amp...for $99 and made in the US its a keeper, the Chinese made cambridge is going away

I just picked one of these (DF) up at B_st B_y for $99,,,,running it with xp ,mediamonkey bit perfect output (tested with hdcd rips and my trusty AA dde 1.2) sounds about the same as the cambridge dacmagic 100 for a third of the price ..I am using it as a dac rather than a headphone amp...for $99 and made in the US its a keeper, the Chinese made cambridge is going away

I did the same yesterday, using some of the reward certificates, and then getting a $15 card for the purchase over $100. It will give a poor man's intro to a decent little DAC, even with the 1.2 version being introduced. My grade SR80i's will give it a work out shortly