IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

Hi DJ - You need to use a different output mode such as WASAPI and select the Dragonfly as the output device. Then it will all work fine.

Chris, Thanks very much for the info! It works fine now.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

Well, this is what I'm currently using:

What I'd like to find is a permanent, molded adapter that would fit into the horizontal USB port on the side of the MBP, then rotate to fit along the side of the laptop, changing both vertical and horizontal orientation, but haven't found that miracle device yet ;)

Belkin makes one. I found it quite by accident at Fry's in Anaheim.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Maybe who know for best quality upgrade AudioQuest DragonFly how this compatibly with this:

So, first:

USB Isolator: Analog Devices ADuM4160 it is possible to use?

like this:

Teralink ADuM4160 USB Isolator board

Second:

If usb isolator works with AQ DF I can use power supply unit (ADuM4160 board has 5VDC USB output to drive the DragonFly).

like this:

TeraDak U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply

If usb isolator not compatibly with DF, I can use DC power supply with special USB-cable (in cable +5VDC from computer was disconnected).

In power supply unit, in this case, DC output adjust =5VDC? How many VDC it is necessary for the best work DF?

Stereophile's review of the Dragonfly is up:

AudioQuest DragonFly USB D/A converter | Stereophile.com

about two versions AudioQuest DrafonFly:

1 version: the volume control offers 64 steps of less than 1dB to –60dB and then mute (–100dB);

2 version: used only 60 of those steps;

"With the first sample of the DragonFly, a full-scale 24-bit signal actually clipped the bottom halves of the waveform with the computer's volume control set to its maximum, giving a THD+noise level of 3.8%. Backing off the control by one click (–0.17dB) reduced the THD to 2.14%, by a second click (–0.34dB) to 0.627%, and by a third click (–0.51dB) to 0.054%, below which the THD+N percentage plateaued. The second sample didn't clip with a 0dBFS signal at maximum volume, and the THD+N was 0.041% rather than 3.8%."

AudioQuest DragonFly USB D/A converter Measurements | Stereophile.com

interestingly still here it:

"Basically, it looked as if the running change in production was to implement this suggestion of Rankin's, as the spectrum of the second DragonFly sample's output with a full-scale 1kHz signal at maximum volume was identical to that of the first sample's output set to –0.51dB"

but, I not understand: in the first part of test to be said that at the first version is worse even with volume control down:

("third click (–0.51dB) to 0.054%, below which the THD+N percentage plateaued")

("The second sample didn't clip with a 0dBFS signal at maximum volume, and the THD+N was 0.041%")

I wonder what version do I have and if there is a way to find out by the codes on the box since the device has no version markings of its own.

Who know how as it to define?

I recently picked up a DragonFly, but am still having trouble with the volume. I've got the volume on maximum on Amarra/iTunes and am using the system volume as directed. The problem I'm finding is the volume at the lowest setting is still too loud for me. If I go lower it goes to mute. I've tried the quarter intervals but it does not work as I'm already at the lowest volume. Is there a better way to control the volume on my iMac? If I use headphones, I typically listen at very low volumes, maybe I'm just paranoid of hearing loss.

I recently picked up a DragonFly, but am still having trouble with the volume. I've got the volume on maximum on Amarra/iTunes and am using the system volume as directed. The problem I'm finding is the volume at the lowest setting is still too loud for me. If I go lower it goes to mute. I've tried the quarter intervals but it does not work as I'm already at the lowest volume. Is there a better way to control the volume on my iMac? If I use headphones, I typically listen at very low volumes, maybe I'm just paranoid of hearing loss.

As I read the brochure, you can use the volume control in iTunes or Amarra. Try using the function keys to set a comfortable max and then use the Amarra slider to dial it back.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

dragonfly_silk_painting_poster_print-r393c7094e451498dac1be0efc07dfd76_on2_380.jpg

As I read the brochure
AudioQuest did not understand what an advanced device they had commissioned. The original brochure is wrong, and has been revised. Thanks for listing your source.

Dragonfly revised

you can use the volume control in iTunes or Amarra.
Ammarra suggests setting the Amarra Volume to full volume if you do not want to lose any sound bits.
If you are using an external device, we recommend resetting Amarra’s volume to full and use your external device’s volume control to adjust volume level output.

Amarra FAQ

First, in terms of pure digital sound, bits of resolution and "dynamic range" are pretty much the same thing. The number of bits of resolution you have determines the loudest sound you can have; the "quietest" is fixed at "1 bit". The range between them is "resolution" or "dynamic range" or whatever you want to call it. When you use a purely digital volume control you make things quieter by making the numbers smaller (to cut the volume in half you divide the numbers by half). This makes the biggest number smaller, which makes the resolution (aka dynamic range) smaller, since the smallest number remains 1. (Since you can't have 1/2 as a number in binary, when you divide 1 by half it just disappears...)

Normally, on a computer, BOTH the system volume control AND the volume controls in most players work this way, and you lose resolution with both. What you get is an increased "grain" in the sound, which bothers some people more than others, and, of course, a reduction in the maximum dynamic range available.

When you have an amplifier with a potentiometer (analog rheostat) volume control you don't have this because the digital audio remains at full resolution, and you are lowering the level after it is converted to analog. (When you turn the analog volume control down to half, both the biggest AND the smallest number are reduced by half - so the distance between them - in dB - remains the same... which is your dynamic range.)

What the Dragonfly (and the HRT Headstreamer) do is really cool. They hijack the computer's system volume control. Once their driver takes over, the system volume control NO LONGER WORKS AS A DIGITAL VOLUME CONTROL. Instead, it controls the volume control in the DAC, which is an "analog resistor ladder network" (a bunch of resistors that work like a stepped ANALOG volume control).... so it's just like the computer's system volume control is moving a rheostat inside the Dragonfly (or HeadStreamer).

The volume control in the PLAYER, however, remains, like always, a DIGITAL volume control... so you should ALWAYS use the system volume control and not the player volume control (actually, some few players {I think jRiver is one} are smart enough to tie their volume control to the system control, in which case it doesn't matter which you use.) However, if the two controls aren't tied together you should always use the SYSTEM volume control and leave the player at full.

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

Help I have aq dragonfly how to hook iPad please someone?

Cck to powered USB hub then I'm lost dragon fly is connected with?

with which cables

3.5 and USB to USB cable?

I run iPad > CCK > USB (full-size to mini-USB cable) > mini-USB input to powered hub > DragonFly (plugged-in to one of the full-sized USB ports) > headphones or speakers. Works great.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I run iPad > CCK > USB (full-size to mini-USB cable) > mini-USB input to powered hub > DragonFly (plugged-in to one of the full-sized USB ports) > headphones or speakers. Works great.

Thx jh full size to mini USB

ok

what do you mean mini USB input to powered hub?

Im not home now and I'm new to powered hub

is there a mini USB input on Hub?

Thx jh full size to mini USB

ok

what do you mean mini USB input to powered hub?

Im not home now and I'm new to powered hub

is there a mini USB input on Hub?

On mine, yes ;) Not sure if all of them are the same.

Since I have (seemingly) hundreds of the full-size to mini-USB cables (and not a single full-size to full-size), this was very convenient for me LOL

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thx John

gotta check when I get home

i could always return hub for one with both types. Well I feel better now there is hope

i can finally see the light

I will soon enjoy my aq dac and iPad!

peace my brother!

I also have a onkyo 800 series

powering every speaker but front 2

(primaluna dialogue one powering front 2 usher speaker).

Side business doing very

good.

take care bud!

High end Theater System Installation in Toronto

Let me digress a bit. A lot of people feel the love here for the Dragonfly in lots of different applications. I bought one after i thought my Creative internal sound card in my PC running XP had died. When I plugged it in, however, and could not get a sound out of the speakers I was using, i.e., Monitor Audio iDecks, I realized that the Monitor Audio's amp unit had died, not the card. I then went and bought a pair of the Focal XS Books to replace the iDecks, in part because of good press at this site.

Now, playing both FLAC and mp3 files through the combination of JRiver, the Dragonfly, Zu mini-to-mini, and Focals, and after a good 100 hours of burn-in, I could not be more underwhelmed by this setup. I know the Focals ideally are on stands, but they are exactly where the iDecks were on my desk, one on each side of my monitor, so I don't think they are too out-of-expectation where they are now. However, by any measure -- frequency extension, soundstage, airiness, definition, pacing -- this setup seems exceedingly bland, compressed-sounding, and uninvolving to me, much less so than the previous combination of midrange sound card, Zu mini-to-mini, and iDecks ever did.

The press has been sufficiently hysterical about the Dragonfly and, to a lesser extent, Focals that I wonder if "it's me, not you," but is there anyone reading this who also can take or leave these pieces? If you've gotten them to sound great together, as I'd expect them to sound, did you do anything in particular to ensure they sound their best? I'm curious.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Let me digress a bit. A lot of people feel the love here for the Dragonfly in lots of different applications. I bought one after i thought my Creative internal sound card in my PC running XP had died. When I plugged it in, however, and could not get a sound out of the speakers I was using, i.e., Monitor Audio iDecks, I realized that the Monitor Audio's amp unit had died, not the card. I then went and bought a pair of the Focal XS Books to replace the iDecks, in part because of good press at this site.

Now, playing both FLAC and mp3 files through the combination of JRiver, the Dragonfly, Zu mini-to-mini, and Focals, and after a good 100 hours of burn-in, I could not be more underwhelmed by this setup. I know the Focals ideally are on stands, but they are exactly where the iDecks were on my desk, one on each side of my monitor, so I don't think they are too out-of-expectation where they are now. However, by any measure -- frequency extension, soundstage, airiness, definition, pacing -- this setup seems exceedingly bland, compressed-sounding, and uninvolving to me, much less so than the previous combination of midrange sound card, Zu mini-to-mini, and iDecks ever did.

The press has been sufficiently hysterical about the Dragonfly and, to a lesser extent, Focals that I wonder if "it's me, not you," but is there anyone reading this who also can take or leave these pieces? If you've gotten them to sound great together, as I'd expect them to sound, did you do anything in particular to ensure they sound their best? I'm curious.

Mike you work for competitor or are you really underwhelmed?

I will be trying dac with home setup with tube Amp and usher spspeaker that even with iPad playing lossless music on its own I was happy.

can you try it with different setup?

ithought the focals sound good.

theaudioguy.ca

I don't work for a competitor and, yes, I am underwhelmed. (If I worked for a competitor, I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to pimp my employer's products, for one thing. :) And I don't think I am that tough to please, either, if you look at the gear I've used over the years, most all of which I've kept for long periods.)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Perhaps not directly relevant, but my son uses a Dragonfly to feed a pair of Audioengine A2s in his dorm room, and the combination just kills. I've used my Dragonfly with Sennheiser HD 800, Audeze LCD-3, and UE Reference Monitors. I expected it to do very well with the Senns and the UEs, and it did. I was shocked at how good it was with the LCD-3.

Could just be a matter of bad synergy with the Focals. What else have you used to feed them?