IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

JHWALKER - can you please specify which USB Powered Hub you are using for the iPad - Dragonfly connection? I know that there are many generic ones that can work, but I had issues with my trusty Tekkeon MP 1860 - it did not work and I got the error message in my iPad3 that the device I'm connecting to requires too much power.

I am currently using the following configuration with my Centrance DACPort with no issues:

iPad -> CCK -> Tekkeon TekCharge MP1860A USB -> Centrance DAC Port -> Miles Davis Trumpet headphones

When I switched the DAC Port for the DragonFly I got the not enough power error message, and the music plays on the iPad speakers instead of the headphones through the DAC.

I bought the DragonFly this week due to the great recent reviews which rate it higher than the DACPort, and because it would require one less cable connection compared to the DACPort (which requires a mini USB cable from the USB hub)

Help is appreciated. Thanks!

This is the one I'm using:

Belkin 4-Port Ultra-Slim USB 2.0 Metal Desktop Hub - Apple Store (U.S.)

but I see it's gotten some pretty terrible reviews at the Apple store :(

FWIW, I haven't had any issues with it, but I use it only when I travel and only for a couple hours at a time, not full-time in my main system, so I may not be seeing some of the reliability issues they're reporting.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

That was quick! Thank you!

The reviews in Amazon are much more favorable for the Belkin Hub - I'll order it and give it a shot. Thanks!

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

Hi Guys,

First of all, I just purchased the dragonfly and am enjoying it quite a bit on a Mac using decibel and some high end iem's plugged directly into it. Regarding burn-in, I have been playing some 24/96 music files and after just an hour of use I can hear what to me is a significant improvement....less edge on the top end, a bit wider soundstage. Maybe it's my imagination...but I don't think so.

Second, and more importantly, I would like to get some suggestions on what player to use on my windows 7 laptop I use for traveling. Looks like most of the audiophile suitable players are written for Mac systems. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

kiritz

Stewart Kiritz

JRiver.

+1

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

JRiver.

Thanks much. JRiver looks excellent. However, there are so many options and settings to consider that I fear I might get lost in this program.

Are there any simple but effective alternatives such as decibel for the mac? Decibel requires nothing elaborate, but plays all the high resolution files I use just fine.

Stewart Kiritz

I like Decibel too. Most of the other's had too many GUI bells and whistles.

The new iTunes 11 might be okay for travel if you leave all of the digital volume controls maxed out and make sure you have the audio format set-up properly in the OS so no resampling occurs.

Computer Audio Setup Guide

Thanks much. JRiver looks excellent. However, there are so many options and settings to consider that I fear I might get lost in this program.

Are there any simple but effective alternatives such as decibel for the mac? Decibel requires nothing elaborate, but plays all the high resolution files I use just fine.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Hi All,

Good news for Dragonflyers in new issue of Absolute Sound. See p. 39-- there is a program, ASIO4ALL which, when correctly installed, will match your sample rate for each track automatically. I.e., you don't have to reset your sampling rate manually each time you change from one rate to another. This is great, except I can't figure out how to install it. Supposed to "select it in your music player software." I just downloaded J River and I see no place where I can select ASIO4ALL. I see the exe file in my programs, but not in my player anywhere. Any suggestions?

kiritz

Stewart Kiritz

Hi Kiritz - Asio4all is an old school workaround that virtually nobody uses anymore. I don't recommend it. Use JRiver's WASAPI - Event Style.

However, I believe that with WASAPI you have to change your settings from 44.1 to 96 to 44.8 as you play different files, no?

I figured out how to change the settings in tools/options and Asio4all seems to change settings on the fly. Are there any drawbacks to using it?

kiritz

Stewart Kiritz

My project for achievement of the maximum result of quality of sounding from a AQ DragonFly:

TeraDak U9VA Linear Low noise Power Supply + Power Supply A&B Cardas pure copper DC cable 1.5ft + Teralink ADuM 4160 USB Isolator board + AudioQuest DragonFly + AudioQuest FLX-MINI/RCA Adaptor (Male 3.5mm to 2x Female RCA) + AudioQuest Panther 72DBS + Single Ended in triode Valve Amplifier E88CC TESLA NOS gold pin+2x 6P43P-E + 5C4S (1960year) + power cord T+A Power Four 2.0m (all)

OS: XP-SP3+Fidelizer 2.1 + Real Time Priority for player + driver ASIO4ALL (224 samle), players: Foobar2000 ver.0.9.4.4f for 44.1kHz & Hi-Res+SACD image: Foobar 2000 ver.1.1.14a

P9280036 30.JPG

PC040111_cr 30.JPG

PC040101_cr 30.JPG

PC040108_cr 30.JPG

PC060135_cr 30.JPG

PC060123_cr 30.JPG

PC060121_cr 30.JPG

PC060120_cr 30.JPG

P9280022 30.JPG

I would *love* to see this solution with a 30-pin Apple "iConnector", but if I understand properly, that interface is deliberately limited to 16/48, so such a solution would be limited in high-end appeal. Maybe Apple will update the interface to 24/96 at some point - at which time, I'd expect to see a DAC like this come out pretty quickly.

I would like to see some maker of an android phone do a digital out through the existing USB port letting it be used with a DAC like the dragonfly...

Heck, I wish the phone manufacturers would provide some info on the DAC they do put in the phone.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Pretty interesting way to isolate the DF!

How do you feel about the digital feed going in to your regulated, connected chassis? i.e. Computer USB controller -> USB cable -> Teralink USB isolator board.

What USB cable are you using? Do you notice a difference with different USB cable types / lengths?

Thanks.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Teralink ADuM4160 USB Isolator board

Teralink ADuM4160 isolator board is breaks electrical connection between USB host and peripheral while allowing data to pass. Design is on Analog Devices ADuM4160 USB Isolator IC. and supports full/low speed USB 2.0 compatible operation and peripheral side power up to 600ma. Is very useful addition to any PC based test instrument, USB audio device, as well as any other USB application where elimination of ground loop or power line pickup is desire.

Features of this Isolater:

1. Analog Devices ADuM4160

2. MJE15030 , BC548 NPN low noise linear voltage circuits

3. Solid polymer capacitors

4. this isolator board is needs voltage input positive DC8V - 15V

Use your TeraDak U9VA power supply connect the ADuM4160 board, and ADum4160 connect the AQ DragonFly ,this connect way can work .because ADuM4160 board has 5VDC USB output to drive the AQ DragonFly.

Other non-external DC inutput USB converter or USB DAC use this ADum4160 board, easy to upgrade your USB DC power.

(I edited the description for AQ DragonFly)

Teralink USB isolator board->full isolation from a computer!!!

I tried Kimber Kable Silver USB Cable 1.0m from the main setup, a sound even more better.

In this time I use (temporarily) inexpensive Logan WL366-0300 3.0m, in future will be I will take one more Kimber or AQ Diamond.

I am just trying to find out if anyone else at CA had issues with DF.

It was working fine until yesterday. It fails after 50 seconds of playing. The player runs but there is no sound. If I unplug it and plug is again it run another 3 seconds and the sound cuts while the player still running. A third time gives no sound at all. This is same behavior for Windows 7 and Mac. I use is with my Sennheiser HD25.

Hardware failure? Anyone else has this issue?

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

I'd have to guess that since you are seeing the same behavior on both platforms then most likely it's the DF device. Have you seen this happen with both sets of headphones?

I am just trying to find out if anyone else at CA had issues with DF.

It was working fine until yesterday. It fails after 50 seconds of playing. The player runs but there is no sound. If I unplug it and plug is again it run another 3 seconds and the sound cuts while the player still running. A third time gives no sound at all. This is same behavior for Windows 7 and Mac. I use is with my Sennheiser HD25.

Hardware failure? Anyone else has this issue?

I'd have to guess that since you are seeing the same behavior on both platforms then most likely it's the DF device. Have you seen this happen with both sets of headphones?

Yes, I tried it with another headset and it behaves the same. So it seems like it is DF.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

I had a similar issue and it was indeed the DF. I returned it and got a new one about a week ago and it is running with no issues thus far.

Home: Mac mini -> iTunes & Audirvana Plus -> Meridian Prime -> Ultrasone 8 headphones[br]On the road: iPad -> Seagate Wireless Plus + Media app -> CCK -> iFi iDSD -> Ultrasone 8 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper headphones

I had a similar issue and it was indeed the DF. I returned it and got a new one about a week ago and it is running with no issues thus far.

Thanks for the info. Did you send it back to Audioquest and got a new one or you picked up a new one from the retailer?

Thanks for the info. Did you send it back to Audioquest and got a new one or you picked up a new one from the retailer?

I used Amazon. I returned it to Amazon and got a refund. I ordered a new one again through Amazon.