IGNORED

Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode

Hi Damien,

Thank you for all your work.

Unfortunately Direct mode doesn't work with my Wyred-4-Sound DAC2 and Mac Mini 2011. The program says initialising device then... Nothing. Playback halted at 0:00.

With Direct mode off, no problem with playback. Any suggestions??

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

The direct mode Beta really makes a difference in the sound. There is an issue, at least on our gear, which I will try to describe below.

Normally from a Mac, I either use an Asynchronous USB Dac or else I use a MF-Link converter to the S/PDIF input of a non asynchronous DAC. The Mac settings have iTunes volume at 100%, and if available, system and player volume is also set to 100%.

When I do this with the Beta, the sound is overdriven and clips, which produces a hash sound that is most unpleasant. It only does this on loud passages.

On a Wavelength DAC, I would normally avoid this by setting the DAC's analog volume at 90% and just leaving it there.

With a Mac connected via a MF V-Link to a Peachtree DAC*IT , how would one accomplish this same effect with Aurdirvana+?

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Damien,

Unfortunately Direct mode doesn't work with my Wyred-4-Sound DAC2 and Mac Mini 2011. The program says initialising device then... Nothing. Playback halted at 0:00.

I am also experiencing the same or similar problem with my W4S Dac2 and Mac Mini 2011 and Lion 10.7.4. I have not tried Direct Mode Off and playback. Thank you for posting as I have gone back and forth between 1.3.9.3. emailed Damien without a response. At least I now have the sense that "our" model Dac2 and the new beta are not playing nicely together.

Damien, any help from you, please?

Best,

Richard

The 3rd beta for Direct Mode (1.3.9.3) is now released. You can get it from the same place.

It mostly brings improved stability for startup and during playback.

Damien

Hi Damien,

As many others I'm very pleased with the Direct Mode version. I have had very few issues with your Direct Mode betas until now.

1.3.9.3 seems to be unable to play 24/48 files : it's loads the file and then nothing happens. I then tried both a 24/44.1 and a 24/192 file and had no problems, weird, right ?

I had planned some serious listening today, so I'm back in 1.3.9.2 and now my 24/48 files plays again.

Cheers

Lars

Mac Mini late 2020 / 16GB RAM / OSX Big Sur; Rockna Wavelight DAC; TDSS Level-3 upgraded NuForce Ref.9 V2 SE power amps; Avalon Eclipse Classic speakers; 2 REL T/9i subwoofers; PS PowerPlant 3.

Analog : SOTA turntable w/ Morch DP-6 tone arm / van den Hul FROG cartridge. Densen RIAA DP02 MC

Hi Damien,

I reinstalled 1.3.9.3, turned off Direct Mode and the beta plays on my Mac Mini 2011/W4S Dac2 as eternaloptimist experiences.

Apparently W4S Dac2 and 1.3.9.3 do not play nicely. Is there anything, Damien, we can do to help you sort this out? Debug File? Please advise. Happy to help you help us.

Best,

Richard

The W4S DAC 2 issue must be USB related, I'm having no issue running 1.3.9.3 thru coax inputs.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Direct Mode is like Integer Mode, and does or does not work with DACs that rely upon Dice FW drivers like Mytek and Weiss?

Anybody? Scanned thread and guess that Direct Mode will not work with Mytek FW nor Weiss, but not smart enough on this firmware, driver...computer stuff to be certain.

Tone with Soul

Direct Mode shortens further the audio signal by bypassing all CoreAudio, even its lowest level HAL layer.

In addition, the Integer Mode that was no more available in Lion is back for all the devices that offered it in Snow Leopard!

As it is now at a good level of maturity, I’ve decided to release Direct Mode as a public beta for you to enjoy it now. I will continue to improve it, taking you feedback into account, and pursuing the optimization ideas I’ve identified.

You can get it from audirvana.com blog

Be sure to enable Direct Mode in the Audio System panel of Audirvana Plus user preferences.

And enjoy!

Damien

I have downloaded the demo/trial version which shows as 1.3.5. Is this the beta version with integer support for Lion?

"I think I understand. The demo version is not the beta and is only available via the blog. I just registered but am not activated so I cannot access the beta. Can I demo the beta or is it only available to users? I am highly interested in use of integer mode in Lion.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Hi Mike -

The Beta is hidden on the blog page - I think this link will take you right to it.

Beware, it overwrites your standard version, so either rename your standard version before you install the Beta, or be sure you can reinstall the standard version if you want to.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I have downloaded the demo/trial version which shows as 1.3.5. Is this the beta version with integer support for Lion?

"I think I understand. The demo version is not the beta and is only available via the blog. I just registered but am not activated so I cannot access the beta. Can I demo the beta or is it only available to users? I am highly interested in use of integer mode in Lion.

No! Go to the website, to forum to Damien's post and find the link. You are seeking beta build 1.3.9.3. Build 1.35 is the published present build.

Best,

Richard

Anybody? Scanned thread and guess that Direct Mode will not work with Mytek FW nor Weiss, but not smart enough on this firmware, driver...computer stuff to be certain.

Direct mode seems to be working with my FW-connected Mytek. The box is checked in the prefs, and the A+ debug info says, "Direct Mode audio path." Integer mode does not work. Compared with the release version, the SQ of the beta version with direct mode enabled seems noticeably different, and to my ears, significantly better.

On the good-news front, I just made it all the way through Ein Heldenleben (Reiner/Chicago, SACD iso) using v1.3.9.3 with nary a dropout or "tick-tick-tick" episode. That represents significant progress with the betas on my system, and the sound was glorious, so I'm feeling very encouraged.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Hi Mike -

The Beta is hidden on the blog page - I think this link will take you right to it.

Beware, it overwrites your standard version, so either rename your standard version before you install the Beta, or be sure you can reinstall the standard version if you want to.

-Paul

There is no problem re-installing the regular published build as a registered user. I have done both, installed the beta and kept build 1.35 and I have installed and replaced 1.3.9.3 and then reinstalled 1.35 without problems. I finally decided ti reinstall and replace the published build with the beta which doesn't not work in Direct Mode for my W4S Dac2.

Best,

Richard

Hi Mike -

-Paul

Thanks Paul. That got me there. Just playing my first song with Integer Mode activated.

Frank Zappa
(amusement) You sure are jumpy today Richard. I didn't say there was a problem, just that it will overwrite the installed version, and to be aware. That's not all that friendly a behavior for a Beta. ;)

Paul

It did ask to replace version 1.35 which I did but that is okay as Integer Mode with Lion is my primary interest. I have discovered a couple of nominal operating advantages over my current player, Pure Music. Early initial audio quality impressions are quite good.

Frank Zappa
Restarts often cure certain ills after updates. But in my case, with a W4S Dac2 restarting 1.3.9.3 is not a viable cure. Thank you for the suggestion.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I picked up your restart suggestion and gave 1.3.9.3 another try. This time I restarted my Mac after installing the latest beta, and voila : no problems with 24/48 files. The sound is excellent, based on what I've heard so far. Thanks !

Cheers

Lars

Mac Mini late 2020 / 16GB RAM / OSX Big Sur; Rockna Wavelight DAC; TDSS Level-3 upgraded NuForce Ref.9 V2 SE power amps; Avalon Eclipse Classic speakers; 2 REL T/9i subwoofers; PS PowerPlant 3.

Analog : SOTA turntable w/ Morch DP-6 tone arm / van den Hul FROG cartridge. Densen RIAA DP02 MC

Hi Richard,

I picked up your restart suggestion and gave 1.3.9.3 another try. This time I restarted my Mac after installing the latest beta, and voila : no problems with 24/48 files. The sound is excellent, based on what I've heard so far. Thanks !

Happy to contribute. Glad you are up and running. I know you were disappointed previously. Now that's "history".

Probably a good time to relate that Damien responded to my support request. He was kind enough to help me understand the timezone differential -- what was I thinking -- as well as family interactions. And I was chagrined by my tone which might have sounded rude. Actually, similar to Just4fun, I wanted to have fun with the new beta Release. In any event I sent the Debug Info Damien requested.

I also forgot (it has been so long since Snow Leopard) that according to Damien, Wyred 4 Sound Dac2 does not support integer mode let alone Direct mode. I was surprised in addition to having a faulty memory. How could that be? I intend to contact EJ and Clint at W4S and find out what reason for the impediment to integer mode.

I am relating all of this for the benefit of other W4S Dac2 owners, like myself, who may have forgotten or did not know that integer mode is not supported, according to Damien, for our Dac2.

For the record, thank you Damien, for your always responsive support and for a player I enjoy thoroughly, Direct Mode or not.

Best,

Richard

(amusement) You sure are jumpy today Richard. I didn't say there was a problem, just that it will overwrite the installed version, and to be aware. That's not all that friendly a behavior for a Beta. ;)

Paul

Jumpy? What would make you describe me as jumpy based on one post which merely used your post as a reference for my additional information.

And what would persuade you to take what I said personally as if my remarks was aimed at your response solely? I do not take your perceptions of me as Jumpy, personally, but you seem to attribute my mind-set to what ever you feel like in the moment and do not mind characterizing another person's remarks. It's not only condescending; it's uncalled for. I have never taken such liberties with your posts. Perhaps there's something else on your mind or not.

However, following the Presupposition I subscribe to, "The Meaning Of Your Communication Is The Response You Get", I state for the record that my remarks and references were for the benefit of mwheelerk's benefit and not about you or the accuracy of your admonition to mwheelerk. And, perhaps, you should read me more carefully.

What I was referring to which you did not mention but I did for the benefit of mwheelerk is that when one begins an install of the beta, the program or the OS X, queries whether or not to replace the present installation or keep both or cancel. If you click on replace, yes, Paul, you are correct. Bye-bye installed program. If you choose "keep both" you have both builds installed and operational.

That was the meaning of my communication to mwheelerk. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Richard

I had my first audio dropout with 1.3.9.3 today, this has been an ongoing problem with all of the betas thus far in my system but less and less with each release. However I'm really not sure just how much of the improvement has actually come from the updates vs my power saver adjustments in Lion. 1.3.9.1 had frequent audio dropouts but I did didn't change my sleep settings, when 1.3.9.2 was released the dropout issue seemed improved but not eliminated. I then read another post recommending to "disable" the sleep drives when possible option in the power saver settings which I did along with extending the computer sleep time from 10 minutes to an hour. After making both these changes it seemed like the audio dropout issue had all but disappeared in 1.3.9.2. Today when I had my first dropout in 1.3.9.3 I noticed the computer had actually gone to sleep, ie the power light on the mini was blinking. I've now set the power saver to never let the computer to sleep I'll run in this configuration until I either have another dropout or a new version is released claiming a fix for this issue.

Maybe a system optimization to disable sleep when playing, similar to the option to disable indexing would help prevent this issue.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Sigh- whatever. There was no offense intended on my part, as witness the smile in the post.

Mike says the beta asked him to overwrite his existing install; it did not, for whatever reason, do that here, and I make rather careful notes of software installations.

I think everyone appreciates your point of view as well as your willingness to share your experiences as you learn about audio and enjoy learning about and listening to the cool equipment and software you have purchased.

It is also admirable that you ingratiate yourself with some manufacturers and developers, and share what you learn here. That takes both time and dedication, again both admirable traits. Certainly, I am not willing to spend as much time and money as you invest in what is essentially a hobby for me right now. Nice to see the experiences of someone who is.

Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I am afraid that 1.3.9.3 is taking a step backward.

Running under Snow Leopard 10.6.8, music won't play if "Use max I/O buffer size" is checked. It briefly shows "Initializing playback device…" and than it shows the track info for a couple of seconds followed by "stopping audio device…" and than nothing.

It will play with the other three playback modes checked, as long as I don't use Max I/O buffer, any combination of the other three modes will work.

Also, if I only have "Use max I/O buffer" checked and the other three cleared, it will play but I get pops and clicks and constant dropouts.

This problem didn't happen in the 1.3.9.2. Also it doesn't happen under Lion 10.7.4. Both OSes are installed as dual boot on the same Mac Mini so it isn't hardware related.

Here is the debug info. I am posting it here since it isn't too long. Maybe someone can spot what might have gone wrong.

The machine is an unmodified 2009 Mac Mini with 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 8G RAM, DAC is Benchmark DAC-1 USB.

Audirvana Plus rev. 1.3.9.3 debug information:

running on Mac OS X 10.6.8

User preferences:

Remote control: IR: off, Media Keys: off (with volume control: on)

Playlists:

Use UTF-8 for all: on

Start playback at launch with audio file: on

Remember playlist: on

Volume knob control in rotation axis

Sample rate converter used: iZotope 64bit SRC

Polarity inversion: global=off, per track=on

Volume control: DAC only

Max volume limit = 100.0%

SysOptimizer enabled:

Spotlight: on

TimeMachine: on

iDevices USB: on

iTunes settings:

Completely deactivate iTunes playback: on

iTunes volume control: on

iTunes play position control: on

Audio settings:

Use Max I/O buffersize: on

Max Mem for audio buffers: 5120MB

Max Sample rate limit: None

Sample rate switching latency: None

Direct Mode audio path

Currently playing in Integer Mode:

Device: 2ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit, 6 bytes per frame @44.1kHz

Active Sample Rate: 44.1kHz

Hog Mode is on

Devices found : 2

List of devices:

Device #0: ID 0x104 Built-in Output Manufacturer:Apple Inc. Model UID:AppleHDA:65 UID:AppleHDAEngineOutput:8,0,1,1:0

Device #1: ID 0x106 Benchmark 1.0 Manufacturer:Texas Instruments Model UID:AppleUSBAudioDevice:Benchmark 1.0 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Texas Instruments:Benchmark 1.0:4100000:1

Preferred device: Benchmark 1.0 Model UID:AppleUSBAudioDevice:Benchmark 1.0 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Texas Instruments:Benchmark 1.0:4100000:1

Selected device:

ID 0x106 Benchmark 1.0 Manufacturer:Texas Instruments

Model UID:AppleUSBAudioDevice:Benchmark 1.0 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Texas Instruments:Benchmark 1.0:4100000:1

4 available sample rates up to 96000.0Hz

Audio buffer frame size : 512 to 24576 frames

Current I/O buffer frame size : 1024

Physical (analog) volume control: No

Virtual (digital) volume control: No

Preferred stereo channels L:1 R:2

DSD capability: Unhandled

Simple stereo device: yes

Channel mapping: L:Stream 0 channel 0 R:Stream 0 channel 1

1 output streams:

Stream ID 0x0 2 channels starting at 1

8 virtual formats:

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @44.1kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @44.1kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @48.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @48.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @88.2kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @88.2kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Float @96.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @96.0kHz

8 physical formats

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @44.1kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @44.1kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @48.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @48.0kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @88.2kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @88.2kHz

Mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @96.0kHz

Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 24bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 24bit @96.0kHz