IGNORED

Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode

I wonder if any of these anomalies in playback, stuttering could be related to system RAM, the memory in allocation of memory in Audivrana or both. I have the max 8GB in my Mac Mini. I don 't recall if Audivrana specifies a minimum recommended amount of RAM for memory playback as others do. Also I think I have read here where some have maxed out the memory allocation in Audivrana preferences when, if I read and understood it correctly, 2.5GB should be left to the OS. if some are running 4GB or less could this be an issue with Direct Mode, Integer Mode and max memory allocation all engaged?

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Damien,

at least on my system, playback stability degraded with the last update. I cannot play a single track without some stuttering 15-20 sec into the track. This occurs systematically, mostly 2 skips in a row per track.

I'll send you the debug information offline.

Just on a counterpoint, I have not experienced any issues with the new build - it has been much more stable WRT starting / stopping playing (no imminent kernel panics I've noticed) and plays albums end to end with no skipping, stuttering, etc.

Just goes to show the variability Damien and the other programmers have to deal with :/ for each new release.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Just goes to show the variability Damien and the other programmers have to deal with :/ for each new release.

Completely agree. I think the problems different folks are experiencing or not experiencing are related to differing setups -- OS, DAC connection method and drivers, A+ settings, etc. I've had a couple of issues with the current build (will report to Damien this evening), but for me, this build is overwhelmingly more stable and problem free than the previous builds. For the most part, I'm now able to relax and enjoy the SQ improvements.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I had the stuttering already with the 1.3.5 release, then upgraded to 8GB and the issues were gone. Now with the beta they are back.

It all may be related to my system setup, but I also have the suspicion that it is related to the extensive use of the iPhone remote and smart playlists. When I play just a regular album from iTunes I get much less issues.

Oh dear, after enjoying the initial version - the latest updates won't work for me. Just get stuttering in Direct mode (no Integer). I've sent Damien the log.

Ok in case this is worth anyone else trying. Tonight I tried AV+ in direct mode without iTunes/remote. To my surprise it worked fine so I changed back to iTunes mode and the stuttering came back. I then checked and found a newer version of iTunes amid a couple of other updates were available (my Mini is set not to upgrade). I upgraded and everything with AV+ is playing fine in iTunes mode using remote - no issues and sounds great.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Ok in case this is worth anyone else trying. Tonight I tried AV+ in direct mode without iTunes/remote. To my surprise it worked fine so I changed back to iTunes mode and the stuttering came back. I then checked and found a newer version of iTunes amid a couple of other updates were available (my Mini is set not to upgrade). I upgraded and everything with AV+ is playing fine in iTunes mode using remote - no issues and sounds great.

This sums up my experience. Playlist mode - no major issues at all. ITunes integration ( without remote app) ok - some times need to restart Audirvana as it just clicks when playing track, but stop and restart playing track fixes that. Remote App - random tracks repeating, not advancing, play controls not working ( ie can't stop) - remote app shows not playing, track playing.

Heh - will get around to trying the iTunes update, but my general mode of use with Audirvana plus is now "playlist" mode.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Version 1.3.9.3, using MacBook Pro Snow Leapard 10.6.8, prog seem to work flawless except when switching from standard red book files to a high resolution file produce white noise, remedy is to restart Audirvana, it will switch from high resolution to low with no issues but always fail( white noise) when switching from standard 16:44 to any high resolution file.

This sums up my experience. Playlist mode - no major issues at all. ITunes integration ( without remote app) ok - some times need to restart Audirvana as it just clicks when playing track, but stop and restart playing track fixes that. Remote App - random tracks repeating, not advancing, play controls not working ( ie can't stop) - remote app shows not playing, track playing.

Heh - will get around to trying the iTunes update, but my general mode of use with Audirvana plus is now "playlist" mode.

I had one more observation with smart iTunes playlists: Audirvana every second file in the list Audirvana tries to play but then quickly skips after a couple of seconds to the next track.

Damien, I really love the sound of Audirvana so probably will follow Dave's example and not use the iTunes integration any more. However, this, together with the possibility of using the iPhone remote, was one of my key driving factors for using Audirvana PLus in the first place, I really wouldn't want to lose this comfort.

Running os x 10.7.4 & iTunes 10.6.1 with current A+ beta on Mac mini 8g ram in iTunes integrated mode.

Only issue I have had with this release is the white noise when changing From 16/44 material to 24/96 or 24/192 material.

I have been playing stuff in smart playlist after reading issues here. In my setup material plays just fine. No stops, pauses or song skipping.

I wonder if any of these anomalies in playback, stuttering could be related to system RAM, the memory in allocation of memory in Audivrana or both. I have the max 8GB in my Mac Mini. I don 't recall if Audivrana specifies a minimum recommended amount of RAM for memory playback as others do. Also I think I have read here where some have maxed out the memory allocation in Audivrana preferences when, if I read and understood it correctly, 2.5GB should be left to the OS. if some are running 4GB or less could this be an issue with Direct Mode, Integer Mode and max memory allocation all engaged?

I too have only 8Gb of RAM (hopefully to be increased to 16Gb today) and have noticed that A+ does "consume" more and more RAM the longer it's used. I don't know whether this is intentional or the result of my settings etc.

Fortunately, I have a program which can retrieve this RAM (usually in under ~ 20 seconds)- although it can take several minutes in more extreme cases.

Another thought for those experiencing various issues, is your computer dedicated as a music server or does it perform other routine computing tasks also? Mine is dedicated and only on a seldom basis do I use it for simple tasks like web browsing or mail.

I am wondering if how we use our device might bring in variables that create issues.

Frank Zappa

Damien,

A+ DM sounds amazing! It is the best playback software I've heard - and I've tried many and own a few. Everything sounds so real and high quality. I've had no stability issues in playlist mode. The only issue I encountered was when I pressed the stop button I head a loud buzzing tone. I had to disconnect my MF V-Link II in order for it to go away (using a Rega DAC).

This is the best, thank you for your work on this,

Treb

Hi Damien,

Any chance we'll see 1.3.9.4 this weekend?

Thanks

Bob

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

I have read a couple of references to Playlist mode and wondering what that is? I don't see anything in preferences and didn't notice anything in the manual. I do use playlist in iTunes and it seems Audivrana plays them back fine without any set up or intervention on my part.

I have been using the demo version now for the past week and I am convinced this is an excellent product. I was hoping the 'full' version with integer mode would be released when I went to purchase but I guess even without that and only the beta available I will go a head with the purchase.

Nice job on this product!

Frank Zappa

Playlist Mode: A+ Can also be used as a stand alone application, i.e. disable iTune integration and you can create and play from playlists created within A+.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

I know that neither of my front ends are integer capable but I was interested in the Direct Mode. However, no joy with A+ v.1.3.5. Tried reinstalling, restarting, options checked & unchecked, to no avail. The only way I can get to play anything is to launch A+ with Direct Mode unchecked, otherwise no files of any type will play. If I launch with Direct Mode unchecked, then check it, there is no discernible difference in sound.

A+ sounds OK(ish) but I'm missing out on the innovation through hardware incompatibility, it seems. If it's helpful, I can send a Debug Log, Damien.

Martin

... If I launch with Direct Mode unchecked, then check it, there is no discernible difference in sound.

Most probably the changes of the preferences take place after stopping (not even pausing) and start playing again... so there is no difference ...

Anyway I don't know if I am wrong but this is the logical thing to happen... we are talking of s/ware!!!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Most probably the changes of the preferences take place after stopping (not even pausing) and start playing again... so there is no difference ...

Anyway I don't know if I am wrong but this is the logical thing to happen... we are talking of s/ware!!!

I think you are correct. I'd expect similar behavior, too. Pausing & restarting with Direct Mode engaged appears to have no effect but with my set-up if I stop the play, it will not restart any files until I deselect Direct Mode & re-start A+.

Martin

I think you are correct. I'd expect similar behavior, too. Pausing & restarting with Direct Mode engaged appears to have no effect but with my set-up if I stop the play, it will not restart any files until I deselect Direct Mode & re-start A+.

Martin

Are you both using something (bridge etc) between your computer and your DAC? If so isn’t there a reference in the A+ user manual to specific settings for these devices. Look on page 13 for bridge devices. I may be totally off base because I have never had any type of device between my Mac Mini and my DAC but maybe this applies in your cases.

Frank Zappa