IGNORED

Article: Guide To Ripping DVD and Blu-ray Audio Using The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set

<cite>and more importantly, why would you hijack this BluRay ripping primer thread to ask and complain about it?</cite><br />

<br />

Didn't I say that I thought (abusively) that this was the idea of the poster concerned ?<br />

<br />

<cite>No one downmixes quad mixes if they don't have to. :)</cite><br />

<br />

Is that so ?<br />

Well, quite many of DVD-A's from HDTracks (96Khz) are (though 5.1 of course). <br />

<br />

You ask why I would do that ?<br />

Easy, because I have 4 speakers of which 2 are connected. :-)<br />

<br />

Do you know how many of these Quattro albums exist ? I guess more than DVD-A ...<br />

And in more interesting titles I <cite>think</cite>.<br />

<br />

Sorry I stirred in your hires p(l)ot. Again.<br />

Peter<br />

<br />

Edit : But Chris, you should really delete my posts in here; they are totally irrelevant indeed, as I understand it.<br />

Thanks.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

So, for $108.19 from Amazon, plus the cost of the other software listed above(if you don't already have it), you can have a 24 bit/96 kHz copy of Dark Side Of The Moon at 24 bit / 96 kHz. I think I will wait. :)

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

They are everywhere. Then just rip from your computer. I think this is what I'm going to do.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Deleted my post:<br />

Moved my question on the comparitive sound quality of these rips to the "24/96 Dark Side of the Moon" thread posted under "Music in General"

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

A comment on the video regarding the splitting of the files.<br />

<br />

I saw something that looked like 'voodoo' in the video, where you show the cue sheet, and highlight the track times, saying something about the not showing thousandth place for the time, and the value cannot go above 75 to the right of the decimal point. This didn't make sense, as it is just time. <br />

<br />

I did use your unaltered cue sheets, and I got a noticeable skip for every transition to a track. I went back and edited the cue sheet, supplying the exact value provided in the chapter guide from the bluray rip, including thousandths of a second. It works fine, and there are no more gaps in playback. <br />

<br />

Note, I do have jRiver Media Center version 16.0.179, which looks slightly different than the version Chris was working with. For example, it took me forever to find the 'Convert Format..' link under 'Tools', 'Library Tools'.<br />

<br />

I also had to relaunch jRiver after removing files/adding the cue sheets, as the Library did not auto update. This drove me nuts, causing me to think the cue sheet import didn't work. Closing down jRiver and relaunching showed that the cue sheet import worked fine. If anyone knows how to refresh the display, please let me know!<br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

<br />

Gary<br />

<br />

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Hi Chris, et al - thanks for the great instructions - they're very clear and easy to follow. I've got a problem though - when I click on the 00011.mpls I do not get the streams populating, see screen grab. I've tried the process on a stand alone win7 box and on an iMac running Parallels and Win7. I don't have a blu-ray drive but do have the iso (the iMac auto mounts it and the Win7 box is running DVD Fab virtual drive). Any help would be appreciated.<br />

<br />

Cheers.

Digital: Roon on QNAP NAS>Sonore OpticalModule>Sonore OpticalRendu>Schiit Yggdrasil A2>The Truth preamp>PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium X 2 (each in mono)>Audio Physic Avanti III's

Analogue: Dynavector DV20X2>Alphason HR100s MSC>SME 10>ifi iPhono2

Custom home brew isolation shelves and cables (mostly TNT-Audio recipes).

Chris, thanks for all the info. DVD Audio Extractor worked great, and I'm really enjoying the results.<br />

<br />

The best result so far was the rip from my 2005 Cream Reunion DVD. The sound is simply amazing.<br />

<br />

One thing, I guessed at a bit rate of 24 on some rips, just to be on the safe side. Although I see that you say that most DVDs are 16 bit. Is there any harm in putting the setting at 24 bit, besides wasting hard drive space? Any benefit, sound wise?<br />

<br />

Dave

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

I discover dvd audio extractor, is simple, great!!!! and for mac!<br />

<br />

I have some questions about I never understand about QUADRAPHONIC DVDA I have some,<br />

<br />

but I don't get it, for ear completely full experience I need 4 speakers?<br />

<br />

I do some test, I export to .aiff <br />

see settings 4 channels: http://i.imgur.com/qviI8.png<br />

see results in vlc info: http://i.imgur.com/Rr9E6.png<br />

<br />

my question is, with the .aiff I have the same SOUND of the original DVDA? or Ioose (I always want the full quality of the original format, I dont like mp3, compress .flac etc... downgrades to AC3 etc... etc..) so why not keep the DVDA? I can but I would be great play the aiff's in itunes, more handly...<br />

<br />

now a test with .wav separate channels<br />

http://i.imgur.com/zrWR9.png<br />

<br />

help! with quad, Im a begginer for understand, I just have 2 simple bose computer speakers<br />

<br />

thanks

Maybe you have the output setting to 24/96 instead of "same as original"?

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

OK,<br />

<br />

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can set me straight on regarding ripping Audio from DVD Video disks. I will use Disk 3 from "David Gilmour's - Live in GDansk" Album as my guinea pig to help me in better explaining my question.<br />

<br />

When I load this DVD into my copy of "DVD Audio Extractor 6.0.2" I see two choices of interest> <br />

<br />

English AC3 (48kHz 2Ch)<br />

English AC3 (48kHz 6Ch)<br />

<br />

In my case I am not using a surround sound system so I was going to choose the (2 CH) version for my ripping session.<br />

<br />

So now onto my specific question. Since there is no PCM/LPCM option for me to choose on this DVD will the SQ be compromised going from AC3 to FLAC? What about . WAV? <br />

<br />

I read somewhere that AC3 isn't a "real" audio format to begin with so I guess Im wondering if ripping an AC3 file is even worth the effort? Is this a compromised format if one's goal is to end up with the best possible SQ from the ripped source?<br />

<br />

Thanks for any info you can provide

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear, Chris, your response applies just to the ripping of audio off of Blu-ray discs, right? There's an OSX version of DVD Audio Extractor that works quite well. (And I understand that the author of DVDAE is working on a Blu-ray solution, though whether it will be for both PC and OSX, I'm not sure.)<br />

<br />

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Just how much better does this, yet another, issue of Dark Side sound? How much can you improve a 40 year old recording? You can't go back and re-record the multi-track tape. I suppose you could re-mix the multi-track down to a 2 track master, but that would do more harm than good. You can remaster using better quality, advanced digital technology I suppose. I just don't have the gear to take advantage of this box set. Would a Blue-ray DVD player help? One with a digital out?

Chris M.

Hi Chris M. - Remastering can have a huge impact on sonics for some of the reasons you suggest and because the the engineer making decisions during the remastering process has a lot of leeway. It's an art not a science. <br />

<br />

I think the 24/96 stereo version is wonderful. I don't believe its been available through legal means in the past.<br />

<br />

The fact that it was recorded from June 1972 through January 1973 doesn't matter too much in terms of sound. Typical popular recordings don't use any better sounding technology. If it was re-recorded live to two track at 24/192 like Bravura Records records then it could sound awesome. That's kind of a side / nonissue though.<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks, Chris.<br />

<br />

So does anyone know how this new Blu-ray version compares with the SACD from a few years ago? (I asked this question earlier in this thread but got no responses.) I've got the SACD, of which the DSD layer sounds great (not so the RBCD layer).<br />

<br />

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3