IGNORED

Article: Guide To Ripping DVD and Blu-ray Audio Using The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set

as the SACD, the bootleg DVD-A (of Parsons quad mix), etc. If you have the SACD and love it I would not spend any time or materials to hunt down the newest 24/96. It's not a night and day thing at all. It would take some real a/b'ing in my opinion. However, the new 24/96 does, of course, allow your likely-better-quality external DAC to process it, rather than your SACD player.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, great intructions (and great website!). I just bought myself an external blu-ray drive and I am using it on an iMac running Parallels and Windows 7. However, I have the same issue as gebeege1. When I click (once) on the 00011.mpls the streams don't show up in the lower box of the HD-DVD Extractor window. Did anyone experience this before and found a solution? Thanks.<br />

<br />

<br />

I found a Mac+PC solution that doesn't even require PassKey. My problem was that in a 100% approach as per Chris (using PassKey) I could never get HDBRStreamExtract to show anything, so I tried the following successfully:<br />

From Mac, use MKVMaker to create a MKV file from the BR player (I use an internal Pioneer BDR-206. You'll be able to pick exactly which files you want included. Again, the software can see the content of the BR disc without the need for *any* unlocking software like PassKey.<br />

Then, I move the file over to my PC, and run eac3to to create a wav or flac from the mkv file. Then I move the wav or flac back to my Mac and play in Audirvana. I suppose I could stay 100% Mac via Parallels, but no real interest in putting my main ProTools studio Mac Pro at risk.<br />

It works really well. You can further follow Chris' method to split the files and add metadata.

Chris, have you tried PavTube for Mac? I use it on my Mac Mini to rip Blu-ray discs for conversion to Quicktime for computer and iPad playback. It will export to any audio format.<br />

<br />

http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/#<br />

<br />

I assumed that if I were to buy the Immersion Box I could use it for ripping the Blu-ray without resorting to Windows (via Parallels or VMWare).<br />

<br />

Thanks -- Mark B

Mac Mini, Pure Music, iTunes, Lynx Hilo, Merrill Taranis amp, Seta Piccola phono preamp, Phil Jones Platinum Reference One speakers, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

There was a recent article posted on MacWorld about ripping audio from a blu ray source:<br />

<br />

http://www.macworld.com/article/161078/2011/07/how_to_rip_audio_from_your_bluray_discs.html<br />

<br />

I found using the sequence of MakeMKV to rip the disc, iMkvExtract to extract the audio, XLD to convert to Apple Lossless, then using Fission to split the file into tracks works well

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Your tutorial works fine, and I have the flac files that play on my PC, but there is no way I can use them on my BluRay home cinema set, which is the only suitable place to listen to the album in surround.<br />

<br />

So instead of output to FLAC I did output to WAV (which is recognized by the home cinema set).<br />

<br />

Now here's the strange thing:<br />

- If I play the WAV on the PC everything sounds ok<br />

- If I play the WAV on my BluRay Home Cinema Set (via USB) I hear this TERRIBLE noise, with the music almost unaudible in the background (similar to playing a DTS track on a non-DTS compatible audio device). It sounds like some kind of copy-protection, but on my PC is no issue! Is there something I missed in specific configuration settings of eac3to? <br />

<br />

I cannot imagine that my new Philips BluRay Home Cinema Set does not support 24-bit/96kHz audio, because if that were the case, buying the Immersion box would give me the same issue, right?<br />

<br />

What options do I have to get the three 24/96 rips to be played on my home cinema set (either lossy or lossless. Personally I think the only way is to output to DTS and then create an MKV file containing the DTS audio files. Unfortunately if I select output DTS instead of FLAC I get separate WAV files (I expected to get .dts files).<br />

<br />

So how can I get the 24/96 audio to play back on my BluRay Home Cinema Set (Philips HTS3560)?

The Philips HTS3560 only supports USB storage devices not a computer connection for USB audio. Are you connecting a hard drive or flash drive?<br />

<br />

According to the manual:<br />

Audio<br />

• Sampling frequency:<br />

• MP3: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz<br />

• WMA: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz<br />

• Constant bit rate:<br />

• MP3: 112 kbps - 320 kbps<br />

• WMA: 48 kbps - 192 kbps<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, curious with a disc like Steve Wilsons Grace for Drowning which is encoded in DTS-HD MSTR, what additional steps one would need to go through to make sure that one was getting the HD differential and not the DTS core, which contains less information? I'm assuming the process is much the same but with the DTS in there I would assume there are some different steps to follow depending on the Blu Ray Disc. If there are could you maybe give us some more information on this and ways to keep the DTS-HD stream in the flac or wav files one compiles? I'd prefer not to convert to PCM for this album as I would think much of the software out there would only be extracting the DTS core file (which isn't protected-or as much) rather than the other information contained in the file with a compatible receiver/dac.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Thanks for all the great info Chris, I have one question though. I have just ripped the Tom Petty "Damn The Torpedoes" Blu-Ray This exceeds one hour. This puts the last two tracks at 01:02:16.942 & 01:06:48.963 from the chapter.txt file. what format should this be in in the cue sheet file. I have tried 01:02:16:74 and 01:06:48:74, but JRiver Media center does not recognize this and only shows 17 of the 19 tracks. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

<b> OMG <b><br />

<br />

There's should be a medal for you (or should I say "Meddle") for doing this. It might take me as long to re-enact your steps as it would to just hire a Pink Floyd cover band and record it in Hi-Res! But Ummagumma give it a shot.<br />

<br />

OK, I'll stop with the puns now. But there's more - would a thread of bad PF puns be off topic?<br />

<br />

Thanks, Chris.<br />

Thanks Chris, I got it to work using 62:16:74, no zeros in front.<br />

<br />

<br />

One other question Chris, How are you using the multi-channel files in JRiver. I can not get Jriver to output in multi-channel PCM, only Dolby Digital via the DSP Settings, and it certainly does not sound as good as the original source. The two channel is great though.

Funny, you guys are trying to get the AC3 out of your rip, and I'm wondering how to preserve the DTS-HD in the extraction! Chris, can you help us out here? There are a lot more things going on in Blu Ray than PCM...in fact PCM seems like just about the last thing they use on the discs these days. It would be nice if you could maybe address discarding the dolby stream or transcoding it to LPCM, as well as preserving the more esoteric (and superior sounding) DTS-HD (as opposed to the DTS core) in flac or wav. There seem to be more variables than are present in the PF discs. In fact these seem like a piece of cake to rip compared to some of the other problem discs discussed here (the lady gaga thing, Steve Wilson's DTS-HD masterpiece, ect). FWIW when I ripped the Wilson Blu ray I got PCM files. I believe (based on very subjective AB) that I just received the DTS portion of the file which was somehow made into PCM...the DTS-HD part did not come as part of the rip I did for whatever reason. It leads me to believe that I am only getting the core DTS and not the extra bits in the HD. The SQ sounds very different listening to the bluray proper with DTS-HD than the flacs with just the PCM information. Somewhat like hearing DSD converted to PCM...you lose some subtleties somewhere along the line. YMMV of course but that seems to be what I hear from this particular rip.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

• 3 weeks later...

In trying to follow the excellent guide for ripping Blu-Ray audio, I came to a brickwall when it came to the cue sheet and a cue sheet editor. The syntax and codes are hard work that my poor brain could not grasp and I do not have (want) JRiver to import them into.<br />

<br />

So, make use of what tools you have, in this case a sound editor program, Sound Forge. I could have bought Adobe Audition (nee Cool Edit) but a few years ago I bought the bullet on a full version of Sound Forge, so subsequent upgrades have cost very little. I don’t use Sound Forge that often, and I don’t claim to be a pro, so for those of us that have access to a sound editor and not needing the learn VB scripts, cue editing et al, I created a guide to create smaller files just using simple copy and paste routines.<br />

<br />

Sound Forge is able to extract to the frame, so I would not expect any nasty jumps or clicks during playback; saves as FLAC, so why not have a go. The BD I used was the Neil Young’s archive set, which contains 192/24 files. When playing these files from a standard BD player, HDMI to AV receiver, the music just wasn’t emotionally involving, very flat, so when the ripping guide for BD was posted by Chris, I had this project in mind to follow up on.<br />

I used this method to rip all discs in the set. Once Sound Forge created the smaller FLAC files, I used MP3tag Editor (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/) to bring them into the Music Library for playback by Audirvana +.<br />

<br />

Summary of operations:<br />

- Rip as per CA method to the creation of the large single FLAC file<br />

- Create markers from the text file time stamps into the large file<br />

- Create Regions within Sound Forge<br />

- Create smaller wav files to extract<br />

- Save as FLAC<br />

- Tidy up metadata<br />

- Listen and enjoy!<br />

<br />

There’s a pdf that goes through a step by step process attached to this post that explains the whole procedure. I’m not familiar with Wave Editor, or other OSX sound editors, but I would imagine, the function we want to use is a basic operation and should be easy enough to adapt.<br />

<br />

If anyone knows of any shortcuts or quicker routines, I’m all ears, so to speak. Like with most computing methods, there are several ways to achieve the same result.<br />

<br />

BTW, the sound quality at 192/24 is very sweet indeed, even for the very old material from the 60’s. Compared to redbook of the same tracks, there is a very noticeable difference, especially with resolution. <br />

<br />

The guide doesn't attach for some reason, if you want to PM, I can send it to you.<br />

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA