IGNORED

Article: Guide To Ripping DVD and Blu-ray Audio Using The Dark Side Of The Moon Immersion Box Set

Excellent!<br />

<br />

Kudos for the artwork and metadata, I need to grab this off Amazon.<br />

<br />

I was unaware of jRiver's ability to split files, that is great. I used the same process, except extracted the bluray to wave format. I used Audacity to split into single wave files, then tagged them using dbPowerAmp. I am hoping that the Audacity project file I made will allow me to export a cue sheet, this will be helpful when doing other blurays. It would be easy to create a cue sheet by hand, but could be prone to errors. And I can't expect you to provide the cue sheet all the time! <br />

<br />

Also in dbPowerAmp, I assumed that FLAC Compression 0 was uncompressed, that is not so apparently! I will have to convert all my FLACs to uncompressed soon. <br />

<br />

Thanks for the excellent article!<br />

<br />

Gary<br />

<br />

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

the uncompressed option in the FLAC pulldown. No, "zero" is not uncompressed, just the fastest compression option.<br />

<br />

Chris, great stuff!! Now I just continue to need a great MAC-based software player to play FLAC (or WAV) 5.1 files (oh, and a multichannel DAC but that's easy...not cheap, but easy).

... thanks for doing all this work and providing it for us.<br />

<br />

-Richard G.<br />

<br />

Vinyl: Rega P3-24 (a red one), Rega Exact, Mistral phono preamp, Kimber Hero WBT - Server: Mac Mini 2.66 Core2 Duo, 8GB addressable RAM, Lion 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3, Pure Music 1.86, Halide Bridge, Rega DAC, Kimber Hero WBT, Denon AVR-2807, pre-out to Theta Dreadnaught, Kimber 8TC, Linn Majik Isobariks "Passive Bi-Amped" and Linn Ekwalls for surround

Chris,<br />

<br />

Thank you very much for all this work so we can accomplish this. Are the Blu-Ray rips incredible? I've been hold off the buy of this until I hear from someone about the Blu-Ray. Thanks!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

@ted_b<br />

VLC Media Player for the FLAC/WAV 5.1 files.<br />

<br />

@Chris Connaker<br />

I sent an email to you through the "Contact US" link on how to make it easier and faster to do this. Please let me know how it works for you and then you can update this page for everyone else to use.<br />

<br />

Cheers,<br />

Dave

SBS > SB Touch (SqueezeCommander on 7\" Tablet for remote) > optical SPDIF > Kenwood Sovereign VR-4700 (3x AK4393 DAC/1x AK5383 ADC)

Do I have to install DB to get Audio Properties? As is I don't see it in window.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

"How does the Blu-ray rip sound?"<br />

<br />

<i>I am just finishing up listening to the complete album at 24/96 two channel. It's absolutely awesome on my system.<br />

<br />

Want! Want!<br />

<br />

BTW: great article! If Steve Jobs hadn't told Windows lacked taste, I'd be having a go myself... Steve was right though. Windows is ugly! I will have to find a local nerd to do the extracting job for me. <br />

<br />

You know I'm kidding, right? <br />

<br />

Stil want it...

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

Hi Chris<br />

<br />

I am awed by your excellent & extensive work in the guides. <br />

<br />

Can you let us know a little more about the sound and the actual file information? Peak levels, etc?<br />

<br />

Also, is there any information about what studio and mastering equipment was used in the liner notes or anywhere else that you know of? Stuff like what mixes &/or masters were used with what ATR into what analogue signal chain & ADC for the 24bit 96kHz transfers. <br />

<br />

Again, thanks so much for your excellent works. It's really a blessing you shared this labor of love with us all.

<i>"Can you let us know a little more about the sound and the actual file information? Peak levels, etc?"</i><br />

<br />

<br />

Hi Espress0 - This thread has a bit of this information including Dynamic Range score, spectrogram, and waveform.<br />

<br />

<br />

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/2496-Dark-Side-Moon<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi dj - If the bit rate isn't displayed then you have to do some research or rely on others who done the research :~)<br />

<br />

DVD video is pretty standard at 16/48 if you want to rip the audio from the disc.<br />

<br />

AC3 is 16 bit as well.<br />

<br />

Do you have something specific in mind?<br />

<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Doing this right for "quattro" is a quite undoable job. I focused myself on <s>Grand Funk Railroad</s> Ten Years After (A Space in Time) for a while before I gave up on it ...<br />

(couldn't get the downmix right)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Maybe I introduced the Downmix thing. shekoluw never talked about that (somehow I assumed it).<br />

<br />

<cite>Simply selecting All 4 Channels when ripping give one the quad version of the music. There is no downmix as long as the material is on the disc.</cite><br />

<br />

Not sure what this means though.<br />

Unless one wants a downmix afterall ...<br />

<br />

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

you are a wild man! Why in heaven's name would you want to downmix a 1970's quad mix to stereo (especially when there is a native dedicated stereo 24/96 on the same disc), and more importantly, why would you hijack this BluRay ripping primer thread to ask and complain about it? No one downmixes quad mixes if they don't have to. :) These quad and 5.1 layers are for us multichannel fans.

Great article, Chris, and thanks for going through all the work! But can you at least mention (here and in your other article) that DVD Audio Extractor is now also available for the Mac, and that the "ripping prerequisites" you list above are only for ripping Blu-rays?<br />

<br />

BTW, I'd love to know how the Blu-ray DSOTM compares with the SACD release from a few years ago (in 2-channel).<br />

<br />

Thanks again,<br />

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Great article Chris.<br />

<br />

As much as I'd like 24/96 rips of DSOTM, I can't see myself ripping blu-ray. It makes me think some enterprising soul should buy about 100 immersion boxes and sell them with the rips added for a tidy profit. Could be a good source of beer money for a college student.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />