IGNORED

POLL: What USB cable are you using?

I'm with wookie on this.

"... so many of us who wanted to believe otherwise left the demo with jaws dropped ..."

I experienced something similar when I auditioned (and bought) my Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable. There wasn't anybody in the room who expected to hear any difference. We had just spent some quality time auditioning their interconnect cables, and were really very skeptical about the USB demo. It turned out that the USB cable made by far and away the biggest difference of the day. Various expletives began issuing throughout the room within a few seconds of the music playing. People left with their heads shaking. Mine included.

I also strongly believe that the effect of the USB cable will be strongly system dependent. Every system will tend to reject whatever comes down the USB cable that isn't supposed to be there, to a greater or lesser degree.

Thanks for your thoughts. Many who take the contrary position seem to grumble merely for sake of grumbling. Yet there are some credible contributors who have seriously tried recabling their own system, only to find little to no change. So I can't help but think that system dependance is indeed a huge factor. If you lived around the corner, I would certainly love to try your Nordost Blue Heaven, and I wish there was a local dealer to borrow from.

You will be interested to know that the demo I attended used Classe electronics and B&W 802 Diamond speakers, which I notice are what you have chosen!

Take Care!

David C. Martin[br]Mojo Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Berkeley USB, Berkeley Reference dac, Dan D'Agostino Integrated, Rockport Avior.

• 1 month later...

I have been using the AudioQuest Carbon for a couple of weeks now, felt it was a significant step up from the Cinnamon. Am now looking to upgrade to the coffee. Also ordered a WireWorld Starlight (red) to demo as well as the new Oyaide Neo+ class S.

I am still awaiting the WireWorld, however the Oyaide seemed like a step down from the carbon, in terms of imaging, separation and soundstage. All I can say at the moment is that the carbon seems more 3D. With that said, it is straight out of the box for the Oyaide, and I don't think I will have it around to compare after burn in (however long that would require), as the build quality/presentation seems inferior to the carbon, while almost at the same price point.

StraightWire USB Link

Neo d+USB Class S Created by Oyiade

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2

Acoustic Revive 1.0PL

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

...after adding a V-LINK to my chain over Christmas, last week I chucked my el-cheapo (and long) USB printer cable and replaced it with a 1m WireWorld Ultraviolet. Significant improvement.

So now I'm playing with the link between the V-LINK and V-DAC (auditioning coax vs. optical -- am leaning toward optical) but that's another kettle of fish.

Steve

iPad2 + RemoteApp/VNC Viewer --> Headless Mac Mini --> iTunes * ALAC --> cheap USB cable WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable --> Musical Fidelity V-LINK --> SonicWave Toslink --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> $.97 (RadioShack clearance) Monster THX Digital Coax --> AIWA NSX-3300 --> Polk RTi4\'s --> Cheapskate Listening Enjoyment[br]

Kimber 0.5 mtr

It was 50 quid

I hear a difference and just like bikemig it looks much better than the stock cable so must be worth it!!??

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me

"Not sure what you were trying to accomplish with your link?"

Basically just explain my choice of USB cable. Despite being able to hear differences in analog components in my systems, I haven't been able to hear any differences between USB cables, and I haven't seen any objective, verifiable measurements showing any real differences between cables, wile there are lots of tests showing no effect at all.

That is of course my own, personal and subjective choice. If someone can enjoy their music more by having a fancy-looking, expensive cable, and they can afford it, then great, that works for them. But for beginners entering the complex world of computer audio (with a mix of both analog and digital technology), it is important to see that there are various viewpoints, with at least some of us trying to find objective answers.

Thank you for clarifying. However, reading over that thread again, especially the OP, I still do not understand what has been accomplished, as the chain is basically a D/A to A/D and trying to measure a test file, not music, as essentially everyone here that has heard a difference has done so using music that they are familiar with on their respective systems, while swapping out for a better (not necessarily more expensive) USB cable.

Not trying to argue or prove anything, but over in the linked thread, I did not see you mention any of the popular cables (between $50-200), have you actually tried any of them yourself ? And as for beginners, wouldn't it be easier to try out some of the cheaper mentioned cables here, and hear for themselves if it makes an audible difference vs. going through pages and pages of tests, heated debates and arguments? As I believe it would be easier to dismiss all theories by discovering: "hey this $$ cable makes no difference what so ever, I will return it" or: "hey it does make a difference, let me look into others".

I myself started with a (cheapo) $30 4% silver Pangea Audio cable going into an EMU 0404 USB vs a very thick quality looking no name cable with ferrites on both ends, and that was enough proof for my own ears.

"I still do not understand what has been accomplished, as the chain is basically a D/A to A/D and trying to measure a test file, not music"

There is a place for listening tests, and there is a place for objective measurements, just like you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, but also want to check out things like horsepower, top speed, acceleration, brake distances, safety ratings and fuel economy figures.

One of the interesting comments in that thread is the recent one from JR_Audio, where he states that he has come across some "high end" cables that are so bad that they actually drop data.

I guess the thing we both agree on is the importance of making sure you can return an expensive cable if you don't hear a difference. I would add to that the usual warning about expectations guiding perceptions - just knowing that you replaced your $2 generic cable with a $200 "high end" cable might predispose you to thinking the expensive one sounds better. But again, who cares if it actually sounds better - if you think it does, then it probably was a good investment.

I sure hope this thread can stick to the original point rather than being transformed into another lengthy, and sometimes hostile, debate on whether a USB cable makes a difference or can be heard.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

There is another thread which explores the question of whether a USB cable can make a difference.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Can-changing-my-USB-cable-Improve-sound-Audiolab-8200CD

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's