IGNORED

POLL: What USB cable are you using?

Purchased a Oyaide Class A in 1 meter to connect the Plextor 880U to the Mac Mini. A website had it for 39.95. Sure is pretty.

Still using a six inch Ziotek to connect the external drive with iTunes library to computer. Got to think shorter is more important than; metallurgy, number of shields, fancy construction, dielectrics, and wire gauge.

Like the Oyaide FireWire cables this is well built. Have not cut it open, but isoval shaped. Appears to deprecate the data and power wires into two bundles.

Also, from the website the Class S has heavier gauge wires compared to the Class A. Not sure this is important, or even a good thing with a digital data cable.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Chris,

As the OP my intention was to find out what usb cables are actually being used by CA members and let the results speak for themselves. The results are interesting but the dialog may be more telling. Still, it's interesting to see the results even though I have since moved on to Firewire DACs.

BTW - Oyaide Neo d+, 1M and whatever was in the box, 2M, with the LIO8.

Greg

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

The LIO8 may not connect to FireWire power. But for interfaces that do tap the FireWire buss the sound is better with it disconnected.

I have tried generic, LaCie, mil spec/lab grade, and the Oyaide 1394B Neo. All sound better with the white wire snipped. But my dac can be powered by FW or external supply.

Has Metric Halo started using Oyaide or did someone (dealer) stick it in the box?

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Using Wireworld Starlight, 1m. Tried a couple of others, including generic and Monster Cable.

PeterSP

MacMini, Western Digital 1Tb Passport (supplied USB3>USB2 cable), Wireworld Starlight, Analysis Plus Black Digital SPDIF, Musical Fidelity V-Link, Harman/Kardon HK970 CD player (very modified), Panasonic SA-XR10 (very modified) (cryogenically treated) with hard wired Townshend Audio Single ended silver cable, Townshend Audio lsolda speaker cable (bi-wire) (cryogenically treated), Elac 330 Jet (cryogenically treated cabinet & crossover) Townshend Audio Super tweeter. Townshend Audio Seismic Sink Stand. Soundcare spikes, Symposium Research Rollerblocks Series 2+, point pods and Anaysis Plus feet, Custom mains cable hardwired to Siemens fuses.

• 2 weeks later...

I've evaluated a heck of a lot of USB cables through the Cable Co and purchase. I've found the Transparent the best in my system for the price. It does tonality and dynamics right.

The only $100+ cables I like better are the WyWires LITESPD and AudioQuest Coffee. One of them will soon replace the Transparent.

-----

2010 Mac Mini/8GB/160GB SSD - iTunes - Classe CP-800 - AudioQuest Colorado XLR - Classe CA-2300 - Anti-cables - Paradigm Studio 100 v2

So I recently had the chance to step up from the carbon to the coffee an I must say it is an upgrade, although not a very cheap one.

Although I enjoyed the carbon and heard a clear difference over some other cables tried within the same price range, the step up to coffee (for my ears) made a big difference. The only way I can describe it at the moment is: the carbon sounds like the singer/performer is shouting at you in comparison with the coffee which sounds more natural/relaxed without veiling or losing out on any of the detail.

With that said I think the coffee will end my quest for USB cables, as I just can't justify or afford anything priced higher.

WireWorld Makes four USB Cables

Ultraviolet

Starlight

Silver Starlight Introduced 1/2011

Platinum Starlight Introduced 1/2011

I've sold over 50 Starlight at $99.95 for 1M. is by far the most popular USB Cable for Audiophiles on a budget!

The Silver & Platinum at $299.95 and $599.95 for 1M are Incredible cables!

Many of my customer have used them with Wyred for Sound DAC's, HRT, ADL, Burson DAC, Berkely Audio DAC with Berkley USB to SPDIF Converter Customer A/B's both cables he stated.

Customer Testimonial - DennisG 10/2011

"It did not take more than 30 seconds to see the substantial improvement of the Platinum over the Silver in my system

There is more extension, bloom, detail, smoothness and, critically, freedom from distortion (especially high frequency) with the Platinum I have spent much more and seen less improvement with many other cables (power, interconnect, etc)

I should note that my system (and the classical music I listen to) likely will demonstrate such differences better than just about any other: I am sending the USB signal from the computer to the best USB converter made (Berkeley Audio), thence to the best digital cable made (Stealth Varidig Sextet XLR), then to a DAC that is the equal of any (Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC) My test piece is a high res download of the Second Movement of Shostakovich’s 8th Symphony – lots of high frequencies (flutes, violins, etc) that are very loud and hard to reproduce without significant distortion This movement sounds very strident on 99% of high end systems

PS: It is nice to see a dealer that understates (rather than overstates) the case for a component upgrade!"

Best

Jeff

Jeff

It seems highly likely that if you take the noisy +5V Vbus lead out of the equation as Mark and others have done by various methods, including the use of batteries, +5V Linear PSUs and SOtM +5V internal cards , that the differences between well engineered USB cables of a relatively short length will be absolutely minimal.The main problem isn't the cable itself, but the noisy Vbus line. The better high priced cables have much better isolation between the twisted pair D+ and D-, and the +5V supply leads which are not normally individually screened.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Transparent Audio USB Cable

Now, I find it very interesting that Transparent, which is one of the leaders of (insert adjective)__________ pricing only has ONE LEVEL of usb cable. If these can't find justification to sell something priced in the (insert adjective) ________ stratosphere, then you wonder if maybe the usb cable doesn't make too much difference, once (and this is probably a key caveat) you get to a certain level.

I hope to audition a much more expensive audioquest cable sometime with a 30 day return policy.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

Please add Revelation Audio dual mono Prophecy Cryo Silver to the list.:)

Alpha Dog>Audirvana+>Light Harmonic Geek>MacBook Pro> Sound Application Reference>Modwright Oppo 105>Concert Fidelity CF 080 preamp>Magnus MA 300 amp>Jena labs and Prana Wire cables>Venture CR-8 Signature[br]

A battery supply, or even a decent power supply is a whole lot less expensive than many of these USB cables.

But remember. Very few DACs need USB power. In my two the USB power pin connector inside the box is not connected to anything.

My tests were with a low-cost S/PDIF converter that did use USB power.

So this may be of very limited use.

0.5m Oyaide Neo d+USB Class B (Green) Cable

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Mark

I use the supply as in the attached (hopefully) photo, in conjunction with a 1M USB cable with the +5V Vbus wire disconnected at the PC end of the cable.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Platinum comes up for a test against Starlight next week on my system!

Do you have any link to the issue regarding USB fw-direct cabling?

Need to get my cabling in order:-)

Thx

Kris

iMac27\"i5,Apple TV2(SeasonPass)TC2,Pro-Ject Stream Box DS,Peachtree iNOVA,Shahinian Starter,Wireworld,MSB UMT + MSB Platinum DAC IV, XIVA M8.Tom Fletcher Turntable, Tiny Tube Riaa.[br]Working for www.tekni-fi.dk

give up any thought of USB cables for Lent but what the heck. I have been very happy with Lee's (RIP) USB cables. I started with the Polestar and moved to the Axis and now have settled with the Nucleus.

"The reformer is always right about what is wrong. He is generally wrong about what is right." GK Chesterton

Mac Mini 5,1, SSD, A+, Vaughn Merlots, Wavelength Gemini (45), Wavelength Cosecant Denominator with Mojo-Audio Joule LPS, Blue Circle Music Ring, UpTone Audio REGEN (amber & green), audioquest JitterBug, Locus Design Group Nucleus USB Cable, Acoustic Zen Hologram Speaker Cables & Absolute Silver Interconnect Cables, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Sennheiser 650s with Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Cables, BDR cones & discs, all tubes by Andy @Vintage Tube Services

Unfortunately I got to USB game a bit late as I was using firewire for a long time until Playback Design came out with its USB-X. Before that, I was using Locus Design firewire with Weiss INT202. Anyhow, after trying JPS Sperconductor 3, Audioquest Diamond, Belkin and ended up with Locus Design again. Unfortunately my local dealer only had Polestar and Axis left so I am using Axis now. Wished I got into USB cable sooner, I wish I had a chance to try Lee's other USB cable as well.

• 2 weeks later...

DH Labs Silver Sonic 0.5 meter

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

I am using one of the new Chord USB Silver Plus cables at the moment. It wasn't really a first choice but I bought it barely-used for half price and I did not have any other audio-quality USB cables with a full-sized "B" connector at hand.

I am normally a Wireworld man (I use them throughout my systems) but I am put-off by the physical design of all the Wireworld USB cables as I have found them difficult to route and they have a tendancy to put un-neccessary strain on delicate USB jacks due to their relative weight or relative stiffness.

The beauty of the Chord cable is that it is extremely light and extremely pliable - it seems that Chord were thinking of precisely these mechanical issues when they designed it.

Mind you, the sound isn't what I was expecting or used to - it has a very analogue and tube-like sound to it and possibly in consequence textures are a little thick sounding. But I can't complain for the price point and it would probably compete well with the Starlight Red and Ultraviolet ranges, albeit with a noticeably different sound signature.

I'd really like to see Chord come up with a premium model though whist retaining the desirable mechanical characteristics of their present cable. I would be very interested to hear a premium version that might be a little better resolving and with slightly more transparent texture rendition.