IGNORED

POLL: What USB cable are you using?

I use an inexpensive 10 foot Dynex USB cable.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 2 months later...

Actually I use few.

Macbook Pro --- Kingrex red dual head (data connected to the Macbook Pro, power connected to a Kingrex battery power supply) --- iFi iUSB3 --- Kingrex red dual head --- iFi nano iDSD (waiting for micro iDSD).

Tried all sorts of others including the Corning optical ( it worked well but prefer the Kingrex). The rest of the system (at the moment):

iFi nano iDSD --- Alisca Orange RCA - RCA interconect --- Accustic Arts Preamp Mk III (Alisca Orange power cable) - Audioquest Niagara XLR - XLR ---- Neumann KH120A active studio monitor (Alisca Orange power cable) on an Isoacoustic Aperta desktop stand. Mains distribution is an Alisca Orange block and mains cable.

Listening is nearfield.

My printer is feed by a BlueJeans USB, but I don't think it cares.

My DAC is feed by BlueJean's Mitsubishi ESKA Fiber

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I used to be like you. I miss those days. They were simpler. And a lot less expensive.

Remember back in the '80's when those arm bracelets with the small orbs on each end that were supposed to infuse the wearer with new energy and a sense of well being were all the rage with the "new age" bunch? I didn't buy one of those either.

George

Remember back in the '80's when those arm bracelets with the small orbs on each end that were supposed to infuse the wearer with new energy and a sense of well being were all the rage with the "new age" bunch? I didn't buy one of those either.

I do remember those...

No electron left behind.

I make my own... shortest possible, without 5v rail and ability to lift the ground (after handshake) via a switch. Never heard better.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Supra

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Im surprised that flummoxed is the first to mention Curious. I use a Curious, I like it. I heard an improvement in presentation and vocal smoothness compared to a Supra. I haven't compared it to anything else.

For what it's worth, if I understand comments from Rob Watts and John Swenson correctly, technologies that isolate and/or regenerate the USB signal reduce (or remove) the impact of USB cables. Rob was referring to galvanic isolation and John to the impact of the USB Regen.

For me, quite surprisingly, switching my Ethernet cables from stock, to BJC cat 6 and 6e, to Supra Cat 8, to Audioquest Vodka made a bigger difference than I noticed when upgrading the USB cable. Perhaps it's because I have both a DAC that employs galvanic isolation and I issue a Regen. As a result, I now have lots of Ethernet cables of varying size, cat, color and cost.

The Supra is an excellent value. Slightly, but noticeably, better than the BJC 6e and light years beyond the stock cable. The Vodka has a noticeable step-up in sound fullness and resolution from the Supra. But at 5x the price of the Supra, the Supra is high value.

I have three decent USB cables, a Supra, a Kimber Kable Cu, and a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7. While all sell at roughly the same price point ($45-60), each differs from the others in design and construction. FWIW, I cannot discern an audible difference between them on either of my rigs. I attribute this to one of three things: my systems are not resolving/expensive enough, my old ears are not sharp enough, or there is no difference between USB cables. Admittedly, I have never owned, or even heard, a USB cable that sells for more than $180, so, with regard to my third point, I make no judgements.