On my updated DAC:

Artist: Rolling Stones

Album: Exile On Mainstreet (94 CD release - don't like the 2012 release as much)

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Telefon Tel Aviv

Immolate Yourself

My go to, zone out, relax, wind down, draw me in so nothing matters more than the music at this moment cd - it's been a long day - haven't tired of it since its release in 2009, layered, repetitive, meditative, usually listen to it a few times before I move on....sorry, I have to skip track 4 tonight, just breaks the flow of the rest of the album and I can't take the jarring sensation it brings to the mix - hope I won't be ostracized for this - I didn't have to confess but I'm just too honest!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Laura Nyro with LaBelle: Gonna Take a Miracle XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Doo Wap Nyro style. If it's your cup of tea, pour it. Carole Kings' Up On The Roof done to perfection.

Laura Nyro Gonna take a miracle.jpg

James Taylor: Hourglass XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Doesn't get any better.Heard his first album just after it was released and that was enough. Been a collector ever since.

James Taylor Hourglass.jpg

Joni Mitchell: Ladies Of The Canyon XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Same for Joni. Love her work madly.

Joni Mitchell ladies of the canyon.jpg

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Vas

Offerings

I would liken this duo to a Middle Eastern version of Loreena McKennit. Iranian singer, American percussionist, beautiful vocals.

Does it count if you're not in your listening room? The morning is too gorgeous to pass up enjoying coffee on my back porch, but I can hear clearly through the windows (and probably my neighbors do too!).

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Bernard Hermann: Film Music by Bernard Herrmann [soundtrack] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Exquisite music even for a soundtrack (;>} )

Pass the popcorn,

Richard

Bernard Hermann Film Music.jpg

List are 13 Selections from the Bernard Herrmann Film Score Book (in the order in which they appear)

1. Psycho - Suite For Strings (7:23)

2. Citizen Kane - Overture (2:45)

3. The Day The Earth Stood Still - Suite - Nic Raine (5:36)

4. Jason And The Argonauts (1:58)

5. The Ghost And Mrs. Muir - Main Title/Finale (4:56)

6. 7th Voyage Of Sinbad - Main Title (1:59)

7. Vertigo - Scene D'Amour (5:11)

8. North By Northwest (3:20)

9. Cape Fear - Suite (5:40)

10. Marine (3:01)

11. Twisted Nerve - Theme And Variations - City Of Prague Philharmonic (5:34)

12. Mysterious Island - Prelude/The Balloon (4:16)

13. Taxi Driver - Night Piece For Saxophone And Orchestra (4:02)

OOOps! The Bernard Herrmann album, Film Music by Bernard Herrmann [soundtrack], was not a redbook conversion. Rather I downloaded the album from HDtracks.com at 44.1/16, flac, Max conversion to AIFF. My apologies for my careless and mistaken reference. And in referring to exquisite, I mean the composition. The SQ is midling ( as in not great). Still the soundtracks are !!!

Enjoying the music because I want to,

Richard

Last Night Via MOG

Santana: Shape Shifter

Blandtana, rehashtana, mostly instrumental, some acoustic guitar (If you've somehow never heard Santana before you might say "nice sounding guitar music, not bad").

Rita Wilson: AM/FM

Okay to good straight forward covers; perfect to induce nostalgia moments. A cherry pickers delight.

-Chris

Artist: Norah Jones

Album: Come Away With Me (24/192)

Artist: Brian Eno

Album: Another Green World

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Bryan Ferry

Mamouna

Perfectly paired with a glass of Cotes Du Rhone. Damn, this man is sexy! The way he sings, I wouldn't even care what he looks like but he happens to be good looking as well. Makes me melt...especially Chain Reaction.

Bryan Ferry

Mamouna

Perfectly paired with a glass of Cotes Du Rhone. Damn, this man is sexy! The way he sings, I wouldn't even care what he looks like but he happens to be good looking as well. Makes me melt...especially Chain Reaction.

Big fan! I saw Roxy Music back in the late 70's .. been a fan ever since.

Talk Talk

Spirit of Eden

Even though I can't understand half of what he is singing (good thing lyrics are included), Mark Hollis conveys so much emotion with his voice, very sexy. I imagine how else he can convey without words....(doesn't matter that he's a bit goofy looking with those big ears, I wouldn't pass on the opportunity!)

After continuing the mood with

Talk Talk

Laughing Stock

The Colour of Spring

Switching it up to

Charlotte Martin

Stomata

Somewhere between Tori Amos and Kate Bush, although I hate to compare, as all three have distinctly different sounds, especially to me since I own everything by all of them. This one and Dancing on Needles are the best albums. Operatically trained voice with piano and synth. Little Universe is pretty intense.

Does it count if you sing with? or do you need to just listen???

Rothko Chapel, Why Patterns? by Morton Feldman

Rothko Chapel is an octagonal contemplative environment created by Rothko in Texas, 1971; the walls are adorned by 14 of his works. The music was composed as a tribute to be played in the chapel in 1972. Five movements for viola, female voice, chorus, celesta and percussion.

Why Patterns? Music of sparsely instrumented patterns for flute, piano, glockenspiel.

-Chris

Norah Jones: Come Away With Me HDtracks.com DL 192/24 Max conversion Flac to AIFF. On third listening, the mids are soft and gauzy. Less impressed with the SQ then I was 2 listens ago. Still.

Norah Jones Come Away With Me.jpg

Pinetop Perkins: Heaven HDtracks.com DL 44.1/16 Max conversion Flac to AIFF. Second listening very decent SQ. Excellent performances and presence.

Pinetop Perkins Heaven.jpg

Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong: The Great Summit: The Master Takes [Original Recording Remastered] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. On second listening, even better than the first time around. Truly excellent SQ. Exceptional performances, charts, musicianship. Does not get any better than this.

Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong The Great Summit front.jpg

Esperanza Spalding: Radio Society HDtracks.com DL 192/24 Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. B/B+ SQ. Also have the redbook CD version which I prefer. Hi-Res is highly overrated (not starting anything).

Esperanza Spalding Radio.jpg

Friends over for music and (no conversation) just listening. Playlist requested at the end. Guess the guests liked the music regardless of resolution/format. That counts a whole lot.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Yes - good tip - just digging it out now and giving it a play. Sounds gorgeous. Thanks!

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Software: iTunes, Fidelia on iMac, Equaliser Pro on iPad 2

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

ARTIST: Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

ALBUM: Schubert - Winterreise

One of the great voices. Passes on, Friday at age 86. I hardly know where to start among my trove of Fischer-Dieskau lieder and other vocal works, mostly Schubert.

51qaRs5RjRL.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Jimmy Smith: Angel Eyes XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. A virtuoso on the Hammond B-3 with the best musicians living (and unfortunately dead). SQ is excellent. Charts and musicianship are beyond compare.

Jimmy Smith angel eyes.jpg

Jimmy Scott: Dream Max conversion from Flac to AIFF 192/24. SQ is decent. 192/24 doesn't make the difference, just costs more, but I always go for it. Jimmy Scott, a unique and moving song stylist.

Jimmy Scott Dream.jpg

A night of Jimmy(s) that give me the willies in a good way. Here are two I welcome, always.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Miles: Kind Of Blue XLD conversion of K2 HDCD 100kHz / 24-bit Mastering to AIFF. I have the M.ch 5.1 SACD version which I prefer to play (can only) through Oppo BDP-95. My favorite album of all times.

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue K2HDCD.jpg

Miles: Porgy & Bess Original Recording Remastered XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent SQ. Incomparable.

Miles Davis Porgy & Bess.jpg

Michel Legrand & Miles: Legrand Jazz + Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Michel Legrand's first recorded collaboration with Miles Davis. Excellent SQ.

Michel Legrand & Miles Davis.jpg

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Frederica Von Stade: Frederica Von Stade - Chants d'Auveregne, Vol. 1 XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. It would be arrogant of me to offer my own assessment, rather best to advise others to listen to this CD and assess how exquisite Von Stade's artistry/voice and Canteloube's Chants are transcendent spiritually, musically and touch the heart of our humanity. OOOps.

At least I remembered to wish you:

Enjoy the music cause you will and then some,

Richard

Frederica Von Stade - Chants d'Auveregne, Vol. 1.jpg