Artist: Leonard Cohen

Album: Songs of Leonard Cohen

I won't need to listen to another album after this - kind of hard tough to follow up on!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Boozoo Bajou

Grains

Lots of pretty fluttery sounds floating above deep, sultry bass, some sweet silky vocals.

Tonschraube is as seductive as a steamy summer night in the middle of a field in a 1969 Dodge Coronet (Trixie, rip) wait, I'm having deja vu...Wow, I'm not even drinking tonight!

Fuersattel is deep, deep, deep house - not to be confused with house, certainly not hard house. This track is so deep, I don't even know if one can use the term house, but for lack of better....sexy though, that's for sure.

Deep house is really more like disco, like Love to Love You Baby (poor Donna, rip) kind of hip swinging not jumping up and down like "up in da club" kinda crap. Whoah, can I get that opinionated on here? I mean back in the day, I danced to plenty of techno/trance shit but deep house is more melodic with some good rhythm.

This is probably more appropriate in Album of the Eveninng reviews...

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Correction! Trixie was a '66 Dodge Coronet 500, 318. Some may call that a "Freudian Slip", given the mood I was in and all...

Boy she was a looker, big buxom broad, like me, and a big back seat to boot!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Paul McCartney and Linda McCarney: Ram, bonus audio Max conversion of Flac DL to AIFF from Paul McCartney.com as one of several discs offered with the Deluxe Set. Excellent SQ. RAM: Deluxe Package (4CD/1DVD Boxset) + Digital: USD. Digital remastered album + bonus audio + 2 digital-only tracks + videos direct to your inbox on 22 May 2012. Deluxe 4CD/1DVD Boxset incl PaulMcCartney.com Premium Membership ships on/before 22 May 2012. Purchase includes access for large downloads. Available from several vendors. Enjoying the music again, I enjoyed decades ago.

Richard

Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney Ram.jpg

This album puts me in a good mood:

Artist: Mink DeVille

Album: Cabretta

The opening track (Venus of Avenue D) just makes me want to go have FUN...!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Royksopp

Junior

Their follow up to their follow up to the infamous Melody A.M. (overused in many commercials, particularly geico - you know the caveman on the conveyor belt)

Favorite tracks are:

The Girl and the Robot - heavy and intense dance beat

Vision One - love that fat (like p-h-a-t) continuous rolling synth sound moving back and forth and up and down and all around winding and whirling, pushing and pulling, never letting you go until the end alongside great female vocals

You Don't Have a Clue - pretty and melodic, softly pleading, haunting and ethereal

Silver Cruiser - like a long, lonely, contemplative drive in the country

All evoking different emotions and equally engaging

Paul McCartney: Ram Deluxe Set Max conversion from DL Flac @ 44.1/16 to AIFF. Thoroughly enjoying this release. I am purposely playing each disc/DL separately for the SQ etc. The two bonus tracks are very good. But then I am a fan of McCartney's music. Enjoying the music from the past in the present.

Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney Ram.jpg

John Mayer: Born and Raised XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. I am a fan of Mayer. Past recordings as far as SQ were better. This sounds compressed or cloudy or wooley to quote someone I know. The music, sounds and performance is John Mayer and for me that's good. The sound is disappointing at best. I am let down. My system favors my hearing and crap (it's better than that) no longer passes for OK.

Still, enjoying the music because I want to,

Richard

John Mayer Born & Raised.jpg

Apparat

DJ Kicks

A series of compilations featuring a particular artists or DJ mixing a set of various artists, this one done by Apparat. Not only do they compile songs from many artists, but they usually remix the songs as well, putting their signature sound to their favorite songs, as one continuous piece.

A couple of tracks by Apparat and one by Telefoon Tel Aviv not found elsewhere.

Kate Bush

Director's Cut

Reworkings of songs from the Sensual World and The Red Shoes with new vocals.

Upon listening to the first track, Flower of the Mountain, I felt so disappointed. I thought, wow, she sounds like shit, she really can't sing well anymore. How old is she? Then the next song sounded great, and I wondered why she would make her voice sound so unattractive on that first track but hey, it's Kate Bush, and she does things a little differently! I usually skip track one for the aforementioned reason and the rest of the songs are wonderful. The Song of Solomon, And So is Love, and This Woman's Work show how time and perspective surely change you. There is a new emotional sense to these songs differing from their original recording and they really move me deeply.

Laura Nyro: Laura Nyro Live From Mountain Stage Max conversion from Flac to AIFF 44.1/16. HDtracks.com DL. Excellent recording. Little shrill in the treble, but excellent all around. Songwriter extraordinaire.

Laura Nyro Song Mountain.jpg

Michael Kiwanuka: Home Again [import] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF 44.1/16. Recommendations from Chris and one other are both accurate. Wonderful stylist, great songs and music, redbook quality before conversion is mediocre. Too bad. Still amazing talent.

Michael Kiwanuka Home Again.jpg

Daryl Hall and John Oates: Abandoned Luncheonette 44.1/16 XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Decent SQ. Great songs and performance.

Hall & Oates Abandoned Luncheonette.jpg

Tom Waits: Frank's Wild Years 44.1/16 XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Well produced. Quite moving in Waits poetic style. Close to talking the lyrics. Also a recommendation from CA member posting at this thread.

Tom Waits Frank's Wild Years.jpg

Louis Armstrong: What A Wonderful World 192/24 DL from HDtracks.com. Very good SQ. Wonderful renditions of songs he only needs to sing to make them classics. Moving in style and vibration.

Here's the lines from HDt:Mastering was completed by Kevin Reeves at Sterling Sound NYC, using the original 1/4" analog masters from the ABC Records vault. The masters were played on a modified Studer A820 with Wolke Butterfly heads and converted to digital at 192khz/24bit resolution using the DCS 904 converter and Sterling’s proprietary mastering systems Well worth the price.

Louis Armstrong What A Wonderful World.jpg

Last,

Kenny Rankin: Bottome Line Encore Collection [Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. 44.1/16. Love Rankin, plain and simple. SQ excellent. Live performance excellent. Oh and gapless plays perfectly with Amarra Playlist's latest beta. OOOps! (You did not hear this from me!)

More reasons to enjoy the music,

Richard

Kenny Rankin Bottom Line Live.jpg

I have been lucky tonight, Amarra has decided to play trouble free...

So, I have listened to:

Madeleine Peyroux, Bare Bones

Wailing Jennys, Live At The Mauch Chunk Opera House

Jane Monheit, Home

and

Diana Krall, Live In Paris

without a hiccup...

No electron left behind.

I have been lucky tonight, Amarra has decided to play trouble free...

So, I have listened to:

Madeleine Peyroux, Bare Bones

Wailing Jennys, Live At The Mauch Chunk Opera House

Jane Monheit, Home

and

Diana Krall, Live In Paris

without a hiccup...

Serves you right. Oh, the Horror! I hope you continue to suffer in this way along with many of us in good company. Perhaps we can start a support group to help each other regain a life...Nah!

How do you explain getting lucky? Burning Sage? Hold your breath. Playing the actual CDs?

I am already deep into OT land. Bailing. Sorry all, just kibitzing, cause I am really happy for AudioDoctor. Psst. Stay tuned.

Best,

Richard

Found time for one last stretch before DreamTime: Bob Kindred Playin In The Yard XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF 44.1/16. Great saxophonist. Good recording.

bobkindred.jpg

Artist: The Stone Roses

Album: The Stone Roses (2009 20th Anniversary re-mastered edition)

Stoneroses.jpg

Due to battles with their record company and other factors, The Stone Roses only produced two albums. But in 1989 The Stone Roses made one of the great rock and roll albums of all time, their eponymous debut, The Stone Roses. In 2000, the album was named "Greatest Album Ever" at the NME Music Awards (similar to The Grammys, but in the UK). And in 2006, NME Magazine ranked The Stone Roses number 1 in the magazine's "100 Greatest British Albums Ever" list.

Maybe you're like me; I only discovered The Stone Roses a couple of years ago. If you've never heard, or heard of, this band, give The Stone Roses a listen. This is a great, great rock and roll album.

Jeff

Kenny Rankin:Bottome Line Encore Collection [Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Kenny Rankin Bottom Line Live.jpg

Kurt Elling: Live in Chicago [Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF

Kurt Elling Live In Chicago.jpg

Betty Buckley: London Concert [Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Betty Buckley Live In London.jpg

Maureen McGovern: Naughty Baby: Maureen McGovern Sings Gershwin [Live]

Maureen McGovern Gershwin .jpg

Fabulous entertainers, great songs and charts, excellent accompaniment

Enjoying the gapless music.

Richard

Mary Fahl

The Other Side of Time

Lead vocalist from October Project. When they lost her, they lost it. Phenomenal voice, classically trained, easily in my range, rich, deep, powerful. (not that I'm classically trained but just saying I was a big black woman in another life! - not that she's big or black, but well, just listen, you'll understand)

Matt Alber

Constant Crows

Singer/songwriter, often compared to Rufus Wainwright - relaxing sound, soothing vocals, (not overly sappy) romantic ballads.

Telefon Tel Aviv

Fahrenheit Fair Enough

TTA's first cd, all instrumental, more sparse and ethereal, with crazy R2D2 type blips and blops and other weird sounds - love 'em! Who else can make such relaxing, pretty melodies with such strange noises interjected?