No question about it. I just couldn't resist a Talmudic correction. I'm glad it was taken in the spirit in which it was intended.

Carter fans may want to check out this one:

Rosa Passos & Ron Carter, Entre Amigos

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD090368024725

Que lindo!

--David

orgel: My first Talmudic correction since before my Bar Mitzvah 56 years ago. The Universe is programmed to assist me, as the Presupposition goes. For me, the oddity is though I have listened to Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles for decades and My Voice immediately corrected me in-time, I still managed to ignore the awareness when I posted. Not a good sign. Going meta is good, remembering is better.

Thank you, also, for the recommendation. I have been a Ron Carter (Paul Chambers, Ray Brown, Scott LeFaro have to stop somewhere there are too many) fan for many decades and attended several performances in venues in NYC. While I am aware of the Entre Amigos album, I don't recall listening to any cuts from the album. Perhaps, your recommendation is a good sign.

Zei mir gezunt!

Richard

Zei mir gezunt!

Richard

I'm getting an early start to my evening. It's evening somewhere, isn't it? What time is it really? Where are we anyway?

Swayzak

Himawari

Something upbeat to get me going today. First track, Illegal, is sexxxxyyyy!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Ron Carter and Rosa Passos: Entre Amigos HDtracks DL 96/24 Flac conversion to AIFF via Max. On the recommendation of orgel, (Full Disclosure: I am a fan of Ron Carter for several decades).

Miracle of miracles! This DL in particular from HDtracks is one of the best I have heard (SQ as my criterion). Or is it a confluence of the new build from Amarra? I am shamelessly promoting Amarra as a beta tester because it is so good. And I greatly appreciate the other players as I own them all.

The DL sounds exquisite. Clear/clean, excellent presence, instrumentation, no hint of compression, and seemingly as close to what makes me feel the music as it gets. If someone decides to measure the DR etc. and proves me wrong, no arguments. What I am listening to is what I am hearing and what I am feeling is what I want to feel. I know, I am carrying on.

So, to the Talmudic Scholar, thank you for the recommendation. I'd like to pass it on as mine too.

Enjoying the music as I am composing this post,

Richard

Ron Carter entre amigos.jpg

The DL sounds exquisite.

Really glad you like it (and it even sounds good out of Pure Music). I find that the Chesky recordings on HDT are generally very high quality. Note that this is one place where the HDT folks are completely in control.

More on Talmudic methodology another time.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Really glad you like it (and it even sounds good out of Pure Music). I find that the Chesky recordings on HDT are generally very high quality. Note that this is one place where the HDT folks are completely in control.

More on Talmudic methodology another time.

--David

Golly gosh, how many times have written a post worthy of a pulitzer (no capitals please) only to do something stupid (expert) and not only lose the entire composition but lose the entire composition and have to start a new. Second time around. orgel another time another place another...

Happy any time to share Talmud, Kabbalah, any Shamanic dimension, and in particular when in Rome, Album of the Evening: Ergo,

Paul Beaudry and Pathways: Americas, DVD-R, 192/24, AIFF, Soundkeeper Recording, Barry what's his name. Highly recommended. The SQ is what we all recognize (are we all in agreement?) that Barry and Soundkeeper Recordings deliver in excellence of production and engineering. Your ears tell you what's true. Then it comes down to not only how good listening to it sounds, we can move on to what we're listening to and that I leave to the beholder. I, for one, am a fan of Soundkeeper Recordings re: SQ, or I wouldn't be writing this. How you receive the content is up to you. Would that more studios would seek him out. The fact that Barry is so accessible and down to earth makes his membership all the more desirable. Like his recordings, they're an extension of what he values and exhibits.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Paul Beaudry  Americas.jpg

After a day of Swayzak doing yard work, wow, I wish I could get them to come do that!, let me rephrase; After a day of doing yard work with Swayzak, hmm, not much better (but would be if they're hot- I have no idea what they look like but I could use some strapping young men working alongside me!), let me try that one more time; After a day of doing yard work while listening to Swayzak, I started my evening off early, with a glass of Malbec and:

Sweetback

Sweetback

Can you tell the wine hit me fast? I hope someone is laughing!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Some new acquisitions tonight.

This guy is one of my favorites, and this was just released this week:

Artist: Anders Osborne

Album: Black Eye Galaxy

On deck:

Artist: Norah Jones

Album: Little Broken Hearts

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

A-Ha

Scoundrel Days

I'm going way back but I'm an eighties girl at heart. This one is not half as good as Hunting High and Low, which is big, epic, joyful and sad at the same time, mature storytelling for such young Scandinavian lads but you know, Bergman, Ibsen, Kierkegaard, even Hans Christian Andersen, hail from Scandinavia and well, what great people are we, us Viking kin! Don't judge that album by the pop single, Take on me, which is a great eighties pop song with a groundbreaking video to boot, but not the best track on the cd, by far. Hunting High and Low, Living a Boy's Adventure Tales, and Here I Stand and Face the Rain, are my favorites, evoking a sense of longing and loneliness, and bit of nostalgia for me. Wow, why am I reviewing what I'm not listening to? I need to go listen to those three tracks as soon as this album is over!

Would be unfair if my first "appearance" in this thread wasn't something about my nick :)

Marc-André Hamelin

Alkan - Grande Sonate, Sonatine etc. - Hyperion (ripped with dBpoweramp)

Enjoyed with two wineglasses of Amancaya...

Dalton

"Si vous avez compris, vous avez sûrement tort." (Lacan)

Settling in with some:

Weekend Players

Pursuit of Happiness

A little chill, a little upbeat, a little sexy, and a bit of sultry... Jericho...you fill my senses.

"Take On Me" was my favorite MTV video ever!

Back on topic:

Artist: Jerry Garcia Band

Album: After Midnight (2/28/80)

Donovan: Greatest Hits XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Considering, the SQ is very decent. The content is mesmerizing. Recently inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Extraordinary talent.

Donovan Greatest Hits.jpg

Laura Nyro: Eli & The Thirteenth Confession XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ very decent. Brilliant style and songwriting. Another extraordinary talent. Also recently inducted into Hall of Fame.

Laura Nyro Eli.jpg

Joni Mitchell: Blue XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ very decent. Similarly brilliant songwriter, painter, and anything she puts her artistry to. All three paint with words and musical notes. Extraordinary artists all.

Joni Mitchell Blue.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

ARTIST: Dead Can Dance

ALBUM: Into The Labyrinth

DCD_Labyrinth.jpg

Used to listen to this and other DCD albums incessantly in the 90s.

Just saw the announcement (after having collected the free MP3 EP downloads from their site over the past few months) that DCD will release their new album in August ...

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/05/08/dead-can-dance-new-album-reunion-tour/

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2012/5/7/dead-can-dance-are-alive-again-for-first-album-since-96.html

http://www.deadcandance.com/

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

I just finished the last disc of:

Artist: Keith Jarrett

Album: Sun Bear Concerts

That took a while to get through at a casual pace. Now on to...

Artist: Lou Reed

Album: Berlin

Artist: Norah Jones

Album: Come Away With Me

the new HD Tracks download

Very nice :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Wild Colonials

This Can't Be Life

Angela McCluskey's airy, raspy vocals lends itself well to this LA band I'd call gritty alternative rock with a gypsy feel, with their interesting percussion and fine fiddle playing. Angela's vocals are more recently known on several tracks by Telepopmusik, the song Breathe, being used in a VW commercial around 2003. For you more "classic" audiophiles, one of the band members is the son of Chick Corea. This is probably the closest to rock music as I get!

Jocelyn Montgomery with David Lynch

Lux Vivens

Hauntingly beautiful

Joni Mitchell: Songs of a Prarie Girl (Dig) [Original Recording Remastered] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Simply wonderful. Just a redbook CD with glorious SQ, very little, if any compression, and totally engaging. Actually I woke up this morning and I decided it would be the first thing that I heard.

Joni Mitchell Songs of A Prairie Girl.jpg

Carole King: Legendary Demos another DL from HDtracks at 96/24 (or so they say -- who they?). It does sound like demos, lean and essential and seemingly plain,immediate and unadorned. The songs are the songs, I am a fan. The songs speak for themselves. BTW: Recently saw Carole King at the PopOver Cafe in NYC. We glanced at each other as she headed down the aisle of the restaurant towards the front door. I was leaning into a low-key glance at her. She calibrated that I knew who she was. Accent on "was" as she put her head down to indicate that was all she wrote for me. That was enough.

carole king legendary demos.jpg

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Artist: John Coltrane

Album: A Love Supreme

Yep, just the good old 16/44 rip, though I have the 24/96 as well. Why not...

On deck:

Artist: Tom Waits

Album: Heartattack & Vine

A Silver Mt. Zion

He Has Left Us Alone, but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms

Relaxed tension; sinking in, yet on the edge. Intense gorgeous strings over melancholic piano. Quirky, eerie sounds rolling over a spacious landscape.

Madredeus

O Espirito da Paz

Portugeuse modern folk music; gorgeous guitar and haunting vocals, mournful melodies

Norah Jones: Come Away With Me Flac DL 192/24 HDtracks conversion to AIFF by Max. Best DL yet from HDtracks.

Norah Jones Come Away With Me.jpg

Pinetop Perkins: Heaven Flac DL 44.1/16 HDtracks conversion to AIFF by Max. Excellent sonics.

Pinetop Perkins Heaven.jpg

Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong: The Great Summit: The Master Takes [Original Recording Remastered] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent sonics. Wonderful session with two great masters making magic.

Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong The Great Summit front.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

ARTIST: From The Mouth Of The Sun

ALBUM: Woven Tide

Wonderful ambient download (FLAC 16/44) from experimedia - inside the outside

EXPLP021-M_600x600.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book