"Black Ribbons" - Shooter Jennings & Hierophant (with Steven King). Quite the trip; much better for Saturday night than Sunday morning.

Vinyl: Rega P3-24 (a red one), Rega Exact, Mistral phono preamp, Kimber Hero WBT - Server: Mac Mini 2.66 Core2 Duo, 8GB addressable RAM, Lion 10.7.4, iTunes 10.6.3, Pure Music 1.86, Halide Bridge, Rega DAC, Kimber Hero WBT, Denon AVR-2807, pre-out to Theta Dreadnaught, Kimber 8TC, Linn Majik Isobariks "Passive Bi-Amped" and Linn Ekwalls for surround

Aaron Neville: Devotion XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent SQ. An example of redbook CD beautifully recorded which can converted with a highly entertaining sound, soundstage, PRaT.

aaron neville devotion.jpg

Laura Fygi: Songbook XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Another redbook that converts with truly enjoyable rendition, vocals, instrumentation.

Laura Fygi Song Book.jpg

Soundstage for both artists add to enjoyment making HD characteristics a non-issue.

enjoying the music,

Richard

I just set up my Ayre V-5xe yesterday, rounding off my component upgrades following the death of my preamp last fall, coupled with the daunting project of digitalizing my music collection, which I began February 19th (I'm halfway through ripping - 2500 total, XLD - apple lossless) prompting me to buy my DAC. The only pieces I have not replaced in the last six months are my sub and my speakers. This has been at times tedious and stressful, and a priceless yet expensive endeavor! I am grateful for the information I have come to find here and I thank you all for your input.

I started off last night, as I do with each upgrade, with the following three songs used for comparison purposes:

Depeche Mode - In Chains (Alan Wilder remix)

Depeche Mode - When the Body Speaks (Karlsson and Winnberg remix)

Telefonica Tel Aviv - The Birds

It's been a relaxing, rainy day off and I have gone through my entire Enigma collection all afternoon.

Forgive the rant, this is my first post.

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

ARTIST: Steve Reich

ALBUM: Music for 18 Musicians

61rAliqQHqL.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Artist: Merle Haggard

Album: Mama Tried

Great album in general, but it also sounds awesome (lotsa older country seems to).

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Anton Bruckner: Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 (with Documentation of the Finale Fragment) ~ Nikolaus Harnoncourt [Hybrid SACD - DSD] Disc 2XLD conversion Hybrid SACD stereo to AIFF

58:52. Excellent SQ in stereo. While mixed reviews, I found this performance to be impressive.

Bruckner Symp No. 9 Nickolaus Harnoncourt.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

The One AM Radio

A Name Writ in Water

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

ARTIST: Tom Waits

ALBUM: Franks Wild Years

Hard to pick a favorite from the many great Tom Waits recordings, but this has to be a contender ...

tom_waits_franks.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

Al Cohn & Zoot Sims: Easy As Pie, Live At The Left Bank XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ is fine. The musicianship is superb. Just gets better and better...

Al Cohn & Zoot Sims Easy As Pie.jpg

Eddie Higgins Quartet Featuring Scott Hamilton: My Foolish Heart XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Even better SQ and just great performances. Brevity in the service of Enthusiasm. Performances are superb.

Eddie Higgins & Scott Hamilton My Foolish Heart.jpg

Thank you curmudgeon for reminders about other choices. Always appreciated. And to contributions from others. The above two albums are mine of late.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Marc Hellner

Marriages

Artist: Neil Diamond

Album: 12 Songs

I admit it. I'm a Neil Diamond fan! Fantastic album (Rick Rubin produced too). Come on, I know you want to listen...!

Artist: Randy Newman

Album: 12 Songs

Artist: Leonard Cohen

Album: Ten New Songs

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Jerico,

I join you in admitting that I, too, have enjoyed Neil Diamond for too many decades. His duets with other great artists as well. Notwithstanding, alone, he is a highly enjoyable entertainer, song writer and artist. I only have one album of his in my collection but the number doesn't represent my enjoyment of his artistry. So pull up a second chair and pour the margaritas...

Neil Diamond The Very Best Of front.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

ARTIST: Madness

ALBUM: One Step Beyond

Wonderful, totally fun ska. Get the original 1979 vinyl if you can find it; the 2009 remaster has dynamic range issues (so I used it only as a basic for my walk-around 320 MP3s), until I can wrestle a good Audacity rip out of my old vinyl copy.

OneStepBeyond.jpg

Pole Folder

Zero Gold

Marcus Roberts

As Serenity Approaches

Awesome piano improv

(also this gets my subscription to the thread back in play -- couldn't find any other way with the new forum layout)

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain

Took advantage of HDtracks' latest promotion and bought a bunch. I know: I am a hypocrite. Got lucky anyway. Here's what I got lucky with:

Bob Marley and the Wailers: Legends The Best Of HDtracks DL 192/24 (tracks 6 & 10 at 96/24) Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. One of the best DLs from HDtracks ever. Not addressing measurements. Specifically based on two criteria: SQ and how I feel when I listened to some of the DLs last night. Don't really know what the consensus of the findings are for DR etc. AND, the SQ was extremely enjoyable, PRaT, timbre, tone, placement of instruments, clarity (couple tracks sounded a little compressed), soundstage expansive, vocals were dynamics as were the percussion and ambiance of the live performance. Even thought tracks 6 and 10 were not 192/24, I did not notice a diminution in SQ or my feelings which thoroughly engaged me in the music. Unqualified recommendation to purchase. Don't know if it makes a difference between 192 or 96. Decided to spend the money anyway. I already have many of Marley's CDs, including Tuff Gong Island remaster of Legends. I was more than curious to purchase the DL anyway. So far leaning more favorably in the direction of the DL over XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF version. Both very enjoyable, but the DL is more enjoyable.

Bob Marley Legends.jpg

Esperanza Spalding: Radio Music Society HDtracks DL 96/24 Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. Excellent vocals, instrumentation, PRaT, timbre, SQ, dynamics. Clear and dynamic. Extremely enjoyable in SQ (hearing) and feeling. Have no idea how the DL measures re DR etc. Unqualified recommendation to purchase.

Esperanza Spalding Radio.jpg

I actually downloaded a total of seven albums. Uncharacteristically for me, the first two mentioned above turned out to be highly-desirable purchases. And, I am thrilled to be favoring rather than critiquing as unfavorable.

Enjoying the music,

Richard