Well, it has been a really rough week, and my body has done nothing but fuss and feud with me all week. So, I wanted to listen to something different today, and since nothing I have in the library exactly matched what I wanted to hear, I kind of built my own album tonight. (With a bit of assistance from iTunes Genius... :) )

It was great fun and a great way to be reminded of some great albums I have that I have not listened to in a while too. Here's the list for your pleasure -

-Paul

Playlist-20120603.jpg

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

A recent evening,

J.S. Bach: The Open Goldberg Variations, by Kimiko Ishizaka | Open Goldberg Variations

The recording is free and very good. Definitely worth downloading even if you don't like solo piano, or Baroque/Classical music. It's almost jazz, as well as Bach. For those interested there actually is a jazz version of this by Dan Tepfer. More about the Open Variations in this CA thread.

-Chris

Renaissance

Novella

Unusual for their time, and still so unusual even now. A combinatin of classical, operatic, folk, experimental rock. I can't imagine anyone who likes both Yes and Joni Mitchell, wouldn't enjoy them.

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Well, it has been a really rough week, and my body has done nothing but fuss and feud with me all week. So, I wanted to listen to something different today, and since nothing I have in the library exactly matched what I wanted to hear, I kind of built my own album tonight. (With a bit of assistance from iTunes Genius... :) )

It was great fun and a great way to be reminded of some great albums I have that I have not listened to in a while too. Here's the list for your pleasure -

-Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]754[/ATTACH]

Fabulous Playlist. May I borrow it? Merely a suggestion for yet another version of Baby It's Cold Outside (as if there aren't so many wonderful versions), my favorite is the one Ray Charles and Betty Carter sing on the album: Dedicated to You [Original Recording Reissued, Original Recording Remastered] I have two versions, a double album (the second is all Ray) and the SACD edition of Dedicated To You XLD conversion Hybrid SACD to AIFF. Was thinking of it recently. Thank you for reminding me.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Ray Charles and Betty Carter SACD Dedicated.jpg

I will have to look for that one - I have the two of them singing Baby, It's Cold Outside on Ray Charles The Spirit of Christmas album, but not the version(s) you referenced.

My favorite is the Louis Armstrong / Velma Middleton rendition (on this playlist). If anyone can keep a straight face during that, well, then, they just do not have a sense of humor at all.

When Velma Middleton complains in a perfectly girlish voice - "I didn't tell anyone where I was coming. Not even my Momma and Poppa!" , Louis replies in a dead serious voice -

"You should never do that to your Momma and Poppa!" then pauses for a second, long enough for you to think he is dead serious. Then he adds the zinger...

"Stay here three or four days. Then go on back to your people... " :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Renaissance

Novella

What a great album - I just listened to it again for the first time in a while, and it is truely a gem from it's time.

I also just listened to this one, which is an all time favorite for me... :)

51Unmuzbk-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Track#4 (Down on the Farm) is especially fun for me. Have to listen closely though!

Robert A. Heinlein

Artist: Neil Young

Album: Harvest Moon

Artist: John Wesley Harding

Album: Trad Arr Jones

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Laurie Anderson: Homeland.

Homeland.jpg

Whimsical, funny, serious--sort of, musical stories, sing songy, electronic-acoustic sounds/accompaniment. "...tears fall from my right eye because I love you, and they fall from my left eye 'cause I cannot bear you."

-Chris

The Coryells: The Coryells 96/24 HDtracks.com DL. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. Pretty decent SQ (not great). Great musicianship.

Coryells  The Coryells.jpg

Branford Marsalis: Contemporary Jazz XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Fabulous musicianship, technique, soundstage, SQ. The only thing missing on the cover is his autograph which I have on the actual CD cover art. He's an extraordinary musician.

Best, Richard

Branford Marsalis Contemporary Jazz.jpg

At the moment...

Alison Krauss and Union Station: Live

in Amarra playlist/cache mode.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]764[/ATTACH]

Wonderful recording - I ripped the soundtrack from the DVD, and it's just crystalline, with a great sense of "space" - to say nothing of the extraordinary musicians :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Laurie Anderson: Homeland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]767[/ATTACH]

Whimsical, funny, serious--sort of, musical stories, sing songy, electronic-acoustic sounds/accompaniment. "...tears fall from my right eye because I love you, and they fall from my left eye 'cause I cannot bear you."

-Chris

I love this album (my daughter and I happened to listen to it last night, then spun off to hearing Anderson's now-husband Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music). Couldn't help replaying O Superman (the first Laurie Anderson piece I heard many, many years ago) as well. Highly recommend just about anything by her, especially her earlier Big Science and Strange Angels for those not familiar with her work. And seeing her live is really extraordinary. I regard Laurie Anderson as one of the most important visual/performance/multimedia artists of our time, and reminded daughter Ivi that she undoubtedly heard a lot of Anderson's music in utero ...

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

A recent evening,

J.S. Bach: The Open Goldberg Variations, by Kimiko Ishizaka | Open Goldberg Variations

The recording is free and very good. Definitely worth downloading even if you don't like solo piano, or Baroque/Classical music. It's almost jazz, as well as Bach. For those interested there actually is a jazz version of this by Dan Tepfer. More about the Open Variations in this CA thread.

-Chris

Thank you, crisness, for this find! I am something of an obsessive collector of the Variations -- Wanda Landowska, Igor Kipnis, Angela Hewitt, Glenn Gould, Andras Schiff, Keith Jarrett, et. al. -- and this is a nice addition. I grabbed the MP3s for my iPod use, but will have to wait a bit for the FLAC downloads as they are temporarily suspended for quality control reasons.

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Charlie Haden and Chris Anderson: None But The Lonely Heart [Live in New York 1997] [CD, Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Charlie Haden is very particular who he couples with. Haven't heard a mistake in coupling yet. Truly wonderful sound and listening.

Charlie Haden & Chris Anderson None But The Lonely.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie: Career: 1937-1992 Disc 2, XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. One way to get to know a musician as he develops. Considering where Dizzy ends up, Lord knows where he started from. Musicians are great and great innovators. He was one of each.

Enjoying the music because they make it easy to,

Richard

Dizzy Gillespie Career 1937 1992.jpg

Joni Mitchell

Hejira

One of my favorite albums of hers, especially the title track. Oh Jaco, why??? Such a loss...

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app

Joni Mitchell

Hejira

One of my favorite albums of hers, especially the title track. Oh Jaco, why??? Such a loss...

My absolute favorite Joni album. All cylinders firing.

I certainly agree about Jaco, but from the accounts I've read, he was not to be diverted from the path he took. Definitely sad, though. For some great later-stage Jaco, check out Trio of Doom, with John McLaughlin and Tony Williams. A bit fragmentary, but the playing is awesome.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Dowdy Ferry Road - England Dan & John Ford Coley

The 70s again. This was pop music yes, but good pop music. I listened to this album a lot. Even performed a few songs from this, mostly Soldier In The Rain and Falling Stars. The last track is a really big surprise and will please a lot of classical music lovers, as well as those of us who grew up with an eye to end war, live in peace, and save the planet. In other words, the 1960 and 1970s.

Don't miss Holocaust, whatever else you do. These boys were really good musicians.

Playlist-20120605.png

Also, ignore the play counts. If digital files did degrade, these would be worn completely out!

Robert A. Heinlein

Dowdy Ferry Road - England Dan & John Ford Coley

The 70s again. This was pop music yes, but good pop music. I listened to this album a lot. Even performed a few songs from this, mostly Soldier In The Rain and Falling Stars. The last track is a really big surprise and will please a lot of classical music lovers, as well as those of us who grew up with an eye to end war, live in peace, and save the planet. In other words, the 1960 and 1970s.

Don't miss Holocaust, whatever else you do. These boys were really good musicians.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]775[/ATTACH]

Also, ignore the play counts. If digital files did degrade, these would be worn completely out!

Paul, have you tried playlist mode? It does do gapless perfectly. IMO it sounds even a bit better too.

No electron left behind.

Anita Baker: Rapture XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Soulful, stirring song stylist.

Anita Baker Rapture.jpg

Basia: Time And Tide XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Basia Time and Tide.jpg

Miles Davis: You're Under Arrest XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF (Complete Columbia Collection)

Sweet dreams,

Richard

Miles Davis You're Under Arrest.jpg