• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Simply drawing a conclusion based on the fact pattern available to me:

1. You referenced a resource entirely in French

2. The French love of a good argument debate is well known

3. Your posts to this site show a similar temperament

Sorry if I reached an erroneous conclusion.

I referenced a resource in French but took the time to provide the links to the various album versions on Qobuz, and a short summary. I doubt it's the first time that a foreign language site is being mentioned on this forum. Also, have you heard of Google Translate? 

The reason why I mentioned this site is because I find it interesting, and think others may find it interesting as well. 

As for the resr, it seems to me that a forum is by definition a place for debate, where we can exchange points of view. 

6 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I don't see much point in comparisons. Almost each performance can have its own interesting features, and something unique, different from all the others. There is something flawed in the very idea of finding and assigning the "best" performance. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that in the past you had to buy plastic media, it was hard to buy each, and so the "best" versions were sought for a reliable investment. Well, what can you do. Now, in the age of streaming, it's not so important anymore. If you like a particular piece of music for whatever reason, you can listen to many different versions without any commitment. Except for the time. Another thing is that there are performers whose inflated credibility seems questionable. Tried it, not interested, good riddance.

I liked Argerich's Rach. 3 for a long time. Not sure anymore, didn't listen to it for ages. Would love to hear Yuja Wang here.

What is the point of reading what music critics have to say? 

I mentioned that the ratings were a matter of personal preference. But even so,  they can give us good insights and a better understanding of the works/performances. 

Moreover, they don't always agree. And that makes it also interesting. But hey, they are French... 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

To you, it’s all a personal attack and you must have the last word. Can’t you just post an album in the album of the evening thread? Nobody is keeping score. You can let some posts go. 

Funny you say this when you seem to make it a point to upvote these types of comments. 

You can have your last word now. 

I have posted many albums in this thread. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 11:15 PM, Jud said:

Very happy to listen to a couple of your favorite Mozart performances to hear how you feel it ought to sound and see whether I might like it.

Have you seen Milos Forman's Amadeus ? I think it captures quite well the spirit of Mozart's music. 

This piano sonata is a good illustration, and you can judge for yourself whether Glenn Gould captures the spirit of the work by comparing it with several other interpretations:

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/11148311

Gould always (over)plays Gould, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a nice album I just found, by trumpeter Lee Katzman, with Teddy Charles on tenor saxophone. Unfortunately, it is only available in MP3 format on Spotify, Apple Music, or Amazon. No CD is available for sale either. Weird...

Lee Katzman - trumpet

Teddy Edwards - tenor saxophone

Jack Wilson - piano

Leroy Vinnegar - bass

Nick Martinis - drums

Recorded around 1963.