10 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

ECM really showcases how good redbook can sound. Enjoying this on my HD800. 

85F95CEE-06F8-4D35-AA8E-99EB4424AB0B.png

As long as I remember ECM recordings, starting from seventies on LPs, the magnificent SQ was a distinctive feature. Now not only old, but also many new ECM albums in red book quality very often sound better than in high-rez, at least to my ears - more natural, less "processed".

1 hour ago, EuroChamp said:

András Schiff

Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas (Live) [24/44]

Qobuz

It is a collection of 9 separate albums.

a) I have all 9 albums

b) yes, they are all nice

c) I do not really like huge collections or collector boxes (this one includes 114 tracks)

d) but now when I listen to this "collection", it is something different, it is - amazing! It is playing all day long in a loop. Every single sonata stands for its own, but still linked together in the proper order. A new benchmark, beside very few others.

I definitely underrated some of the single albums, when they got released.

The SQ is 5 stars.

folder.jpg

Very good one. I believe I prefer it over previous Schiff's Beethoven set on ECM. I was comparing it to some other well-regarded complete sets during some time, it stands very well, imo. Did you notice three different instruments were used? I like Bösendorfer mostly. The sound is magnificently recorded, agree.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Excellent summary. Much as I like the Zinman/Dawn Upshaw version, my favorite is still the out of print 2003 SACD of Zofia Kilanowicz with the composer himself conducting. http://lipinskisound.com/products/sacd-lrf-105-gorecki-/

The Wit is excellent too. I’m not a big fan of the Gibbons.

Never heard about this recording conducted by composer himself. It must be real treasure!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I personally think that if everyone played every piece of work exactly the same, this would be a boring world of music we live in... The reviewer at wherever Roon gets it's data from disagrees, and seems to not like Anne Sophie Mutter very much. She has a lot of negative reviews.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 4.55.48 PM.png

In many cases I like Mutter's performances a lot, including this one. Do not care about biased reviewers. Sometimes it would be fun to read, nothing to hear though 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Teresa said:

I like all of Mahler's Symphonies except No. 8 "Symphony of a Thousand".

Today for me is a festival of Bartok, I'm playing the Bartok New Series on Hungaroton with the Zoltán Kocsis conducting the Hungarian National Philharmonic Orchestra.

image.png.db1852e8ba067471948fbd84e0ff323b.png

image.png

image.png

3581_f_suite_no_2_dance_suite.jpg

I rarely listen to the Mahler's 8th either, almost never. My favorite are Nos. 4, 7, 6, 5, 2.

5 hours ago, Teresa said:

[...]

The only classical singing I really like is Orff's Carmina Burana, in symphonies I tolerate singing if it doesn't distract too much from the orchestral writing. For singing I prefer folk and some Pop/Rock singers with nice sounding voices.

I would add some other great symphonies with choir and soloists, as Beethoven - Symphony No. 9, Szymanowski - Symphony No.3, Ralph Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.1 - A Sea Symphony. Or, from large scale pieces with orchestra and voices - Haydn’s Schöpfung, Bach’s Passions, Brahms and Mozart Requiems, Berlioz - Romeo and Juliette, or, from modern times - La Pasion segun San Marcos by Osvaldo Golijov. Or, The Fifth Century by Gavin Bryars - modern choral piece. Of course, there is a great choice of wonderful classical music with singing from all ages and for any taste 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Teresa said:

Just listened to 2 recent purchases. One I liked and one I didn't.

I really liked this one by a composer I never heard of:

image.png.11a49a1abaacf891543075e80807a5db.png

I didn't like this one: An Analogue Productions remaster of Roger Waters' Amused to Death. It sounds decent, however both the music and sound effects turned me off, I was not amused. BTW I like Waters' previous band: Pink Floyd. Got it on sale for half price at Acoustic Sounds, it's still on sale.  I got a lot of great Jazz, Classical and Rock SACDs in this sale. So overall I did great.

image.png

I liked Waters for a long years, and the Pink Floyd albums with him and only with him. But for one reason or another, the interest has almost completely evaporated in the last couple of years. So I know what you mean, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...