Silverman.jpg

Wonderful performances by Robert Silverman, who I am proud to call a friend.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Didn't even know Jena had an orchestra.

Interesting you pointed this out. All I knew was the optical company Carl Zeiss originated in Jena. Didn't realize Jena is in Thuringia and near Weimar. J.S. Bach country...

Is it any good?

You mean the orchestra? Highlight of this album is on the soloist, and the orchestra certainly supported the soloist well. As for the album, Friedemann Eichhorn's performance is brilliant. Nowadays, Pierre Rode is mostly associated with pedagogical works like the 24 Caprices. But the Naxos Rode concertos series clearly shows he is much more than that.

Interesting you pointed this out. All I knew was the optical company Carl Zeiss originated in Jena. Didn't realize Jena is in Thuringia and near Weimar. J.S. Bach country...

You mean the orchestra? Highlight of this album is on the soloist, and the orchestra certainly supported the soloist well. As for the album, Friedemann Eichhorn's performance is brilliant. Nowadays, Pierre Rode is mostly associated with pedagogical works like the 24 Caprices. But the Naxos Rode concertos series clearly shows he is much more than that.

Indeed, the highlight of the album is the soloist and Rode concertos seems to very rare. I've read that he was the violin soloist to Napoleon and Beethoven dedicated to him his violin sonata Op. 96. Listening to excerpts on Qobuz site it sound pretty darn good and it's on discount now - 24/96 for 7EUR! I will go and get it!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Thanks. I meant the orchestra but interesting to hear about the album as well.

Schumann - Mitsuko Uchida (24/96).

Yes, that's a stupendous performance!

Are Qobuz and HDtracks still the only vendors of 24/96 downloads from Universal (DG/Decca/Philips)?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks!

The availability of 24/96 is still disappointingly random. Several Mozart piano concerto recordings with Uchida and the Cleveland Orch are on Qobuz and Presto as 16/44 downloads, while HDtracks has only concertos 18 & 19 in 24/96.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Vijay Iyer Trio - Break Stuff

Qobuz download, true 24/96, superbly recored on ECM label. This is not easy jazz, but the whole album is so infectious that I can listen to it over and over again. Truly breaking stuff and top drawer of modern jazz.

0060254708994_300.jpg

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Poulenc: Organ Concerto / Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 - Nezet Seguin - LSO (24/96)

Unknown.jpeg

I had been looking for a long time for a new recording of the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony which I really like and which is not very often recorded. So when I heard this recording on the radio I absolutely had to get it.

Turns out the Poulenc, of which I still have very little, is actually really nice as well.

Overall, a good 4/5 performance with a lot of energy.

Some feel good music before meeting friends for dinner:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16824[/ATTACH]

If you can listen to this and NOT tap your foot, you're either dead or deaf.

An excellent choice.

Gene Harris + Ray Brown = Good Music

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

After listening once more to my favourite songs on Billy Idol's new album, I listened to an old favourite album with Audirvana today.

It is unfortunate that some people think of A-ha as a one-hit wonder, but in fact, they have a catalogue of very beautiful and cinematic songs, sometimes penned by Pal Waaktaar, and sometimes by Magne Furuholmen.

Morten Harket's voice is a mystery. He sings like no other, really. "This Alone Is Love" is a great song off this album (they're all good) to listen to so as to really understand how good a singer he is.

A-ha : "Stay on these roads."

Stay_on_These_Roads_album_cover.jpg

"Scoundrel Days" is a superb album too.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels