Staying with Deutsche Harmonia Mundi and Hille Perl, try Mr. de Sainte-Colombe's Retrouvé & Changé:

51vKPvB%2BENL._SY355_.jpg

This is painfully beautiful...

Indeed, but don't you think that recording of it might be better? Time to time it lacks dynamism of the strings timbre and music is hiding in the shadow somehow…but maybe it should be like this.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Indeed, but don't you think that recording of it might be better? Time to time it lacks dynamism of the strings timbre and music is hiding in the shadow somehow…but maybe it should be like this.

If I recall, the recording is not blazing sharp or highly detailed, but does contain quite a bit of of micro dynamics and micro tonal shading. The subtlety is probably quite appropriate for the dark mood of the pieces.

If I recall, the recording is not blazing sharp or highly detailed, but does contain quite a bit of of micro dynamics and micro tonal shading. The subtlety is probably quite appropriate for the dark mood of the pieces.

Well, definitely it isn't blazing sharp and detailed. The Concerti Hille Perl, Freiburg Baroque Orchestra is much better.

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Very interesting. Thanks! Now if you can get MA Recordings where you live, try Nima Ben David's Résonance

I'm not familiar with her work at all, thanks for the hint! It seems these are only available on CD or is there a source for downloads?

I have the Kuijken/Savall recording on a Telefunken LP from the 70s, will have to listen again. All the great music… I could use an extra-life only for that.

I'm not familiar with her work at all, thanks for the hint! It seems these are only available on CD or is there a source for downloads?

I have the Kuijken/Savall recording on a Telefunken LP from the 70s, will have to listen again. All the great music… I could use an extra-life only for that.

I would need a couple of lifetimes for Jordi Savall alone, I think. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Mose_Allison_Sings.jpg

My first post: I find this thread so useful (and fun) so here's my evening's album. I used to play this working in a record shop in the UK as a kid in the 80s. We sold a load just by spinning them. Just downloaded it from Qobuz in the remastered edition. Nice memories.

Audioquest Nighthawks / B&W P7 / Audeze EL-8 (open) + Audeze Deckard / Dragonfly Red

I heartily second that. He is one of my heroes - what a richly productive life. Comforting to see that the tragic loss of his wife has not greatly diminished his creative contributions to lovers of near-forgotten early music.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Well, definitely it isn't blazing sharp and detailed. The Concerti Hille Perl, Freiburg Baroque Orchestra is much better.

Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? The perspective on the Sainte-Colombe album is a little distant, but the solo tracks on the Concerti album is even more so. To me the latter is quite a bit less detailed than the former. And solo instrument vs orchestra isn't a valid comparison.

Also, bass viol is a fairly sizable gut stringed instrument. So it's rather mellow in character. And if you listen to the pizzicato on the Sainte-Colombe ablum, they are actually rather well defined compared to the arco notes. So the recording itself probably does have the underlying resolution.

Unfortunately, MA Recordings is only available on physical media. Some of their titles do have hi-rez version (not this one), but even those are available on DVD only.

[...]All the great music… I could use an extra-life only for that.

Yup, the amount of stuff he puts out is unbelievable. He has some really interesting Spanish and Middle Eastern stuff. Haven't even started looking into those yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14517[/ATTACH]

My first post: I find this thread so useful (and fun) so here's my evening's album. I used to play this working in a record shop in the UK as a kid in the 80s. We sold a load just by spinning them. Just downloaded it from Qobuz in the remastered edition. Nice memories.

Welcome, and very nice selection. I've always enjoyed the music and lyrics of Mose Allison.

For me tonight:

Cool, Calm and Collected . . .

Frank Strozier

frank-strozier-cool-calm-collected.jpg

In the light of his upcoming release with SUNN O))), last night I've played Scott Walker's Climate of Hunter again. His voice stayed with me for almost 48 years now, one of the absolutely greatest.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14490[/ATTACH]

Completely different musical styles, but if you like his voice, perhaps you'll like this one:

[video=youtube;7Ij2RS-lmD4]

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Are you sure you're comparing apples to apples? The perspective on the Sainte-Colombe album is a little distant, but the solo tracks on the Concerti album is even more so. To me the latter is quite a bit less detailed than the former. And solo instrument vs orchestra isn't a valid comparison.

Also, bass viol is a fairly sizable gut stringed instrument. So it's rather mellow in character. And if you listen to the pizzicato on the Sainte-Colombe ablum, they are actually rather well defined compared to the arco notes. So the recording itself probably does have the underlying resolution.

Well, I need another take listening over my Grado cans I guess. Thanks for explanation.

--

Krzysztof Maj

Going back to this quite regularly now:

Beethoven: the late piano sonatas: Igor Levit (24/96).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14556[/ATTACH]

Yes, and thank you for introducing him to me, so to speak.

Oddly, the Bach hasn't yet grown on me from listening to samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddly, the Bach hasn't yet grown on me from listening to samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend checking these out as an alternative:

Bach: Partitas Nos. 2, 3 & 4 - Murray Perahia | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Bach: Partitas No. 1, 5 & 6 - Murray Perahia | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Bach Partitas for Piano

I would add a recommendation of Andras Schiff. For me, more interesting and varied than Perahia.

Jud, it's worth getting to know the keyboard partitas because they are among Bach's last and greatest works. (In contrast, the cello suites are relatively early.)

Incidentally, until a few years ago, the violin sonatas and partitas were much more often recorded and highly regarded than the cello suites, but now the latter seem to be in vogue. Violin partita 2, especially the famous chaconne, is one of Bach's very best works.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Bach Partitas for Piano

I would add a recommendation of Andras Schiff. For me, more interesting and varied than Perahia.

Jud, it's worth getting to know the keyboard partitas because they are among Bach's last and greatest works. (In contrast, the cello suites are relatively early.)

Incidentally, until a few years ago, the violin sonatas and partitas were much more often recorded and highly regarded than the cello suites, but now the latter seem to be in vogue. Violin partita 2, especially the famous chaconne, is one of Bach's very best works.

Sorry for the OT.

I really like Schiff for Bach, e.g. his ECM Goldberg recording is outstanding.

So I suppose I have to check out this one as well. Are you referring to his 1985 Decca recording of the partitas, or the new ECM version?