IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi RuckiR,

welcome to CA !

Ted's guide is easy to understand once you have recieved your PS3 and set all the tools ready for work.

Take your time, it looks more complicated than it is once you've read carefully his guide and organized the tools.

If you need help PM me or other german folks (e.g. synfreak) here.

Hi Everybody: I'm a longtime lurker finally ripping thanks to Ted and others. My question is this. I'm playing SACD iso through JRiver 18. Works great. Is there a way to export the individual .dsf or .dff files (one per track) from JRiver or do I need to use the extracting program tool?? Thanks in advance. Harry

Hi Everybody: I'm a longtime lurker finally ripping thanks to Ted and others. My question is this. I'm playing SACD iso through JRiver 18. Works great. Is there a way to export the individual .dsf or .dff files (one per track) from JRiver or do I need to use the extracting program tool?? Thanks in advance. Harry

SACD_extract.exe is what that is for. Simply make a root folder ("extract" or ISO2DSD" or something), make a subfolder called "Programs" and put the executable in the Programs subfolder. Then use this DSF bat file to extract to stereo DSFs in their own named folder (save in notepad and call it a dot bat):

@Echo Off

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%k IN ('dir /b *.iso') DO "Programs/sacd_extract.exe" -c -s -i"%%k"

Echo Extraction Completed

Pause

Will handle any number of ISOs at a time (placed in parent folder with bat file).

can someone direct me to where I can get a copy of SACD extract for both mac and windows? i have a mac laptop and a windows music server (not that anybody needs that info :-) ).

I've put it on this thread a few times now. :)

Downloads - sacd-ripper - SACD ripping software using a PS3 - Google Project Hosting

Can you use Replay Gain?

I have ripped the SACD. Stereo DSD files in Foobar and play. calculated replay gain in Foobar. it seemed to work (found value) and then tried to update the tags (which seemed to work) but looking files there doesn't seem to be any replay gain files. When you play it doesn't apply replay gain.

Are there any lossless compression capabilities?

Can you use Replay Gain?

I have ripped the SACD. Stereo DSD files in Foobar and play. calculated replay gain in Foobar. it seemed to work (found value) and then tried to update the tags (which seemed to work) but looking files there doesn't seem to be any replay gain files. When you play it doesn't apply replay gain.

Vectra,

If I understand you right, you have ripped the SACD(s) to an ISO, extracted the (stereo) DSF files, and use them for playback with foobar?

Does Foobar convert these to PCM, or do you use an DSD capable DAC?

I aks because I don't use replaygain at all, and I'm not sure if Foobar would be able to use it on DSD files (even when converted "on the fly" to PCM).

For DSD there is DST compression - which is used on most/all multichannel SACDs, and on some stereo-only one too.

But it eats up some serious cpu power on de-compressing, so that I wouldn't use.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

You guys will never believe this but I have a buddy who is a scrapper and he finds PS3's pretty frequently but they are usually non-functional. He had about 5 in his barn didn't know if any worked so started trying them and found a 3.30 OFW 60GB CHECHA with the warranty seal intact and fully functional. Used Ted's guide to get it up and running ripping my very few SACD. I also have a new PS3 SuperSlim that I use for gaming so this will not see much wear and tear. I only own about 5 SACD from when I had an old Sony DVDP that would handle SACD. I am more than willing to help anyone rip SACD that is in the RI or CT area if interested. Thanks for all the great info here.

Can you use Replay Gain?

Replay gain now works with the Foobar plugin.

PM sent. Welcome to CA.

Hi Ted

I'm interested in computeraudiophile.com since quite some years now but I'm a newbie regarding registration to this forum :-).

Now I started to follow this thread just recently and I have also read your "Ripping Guide - Version 3.0".

As a Mac user i am interested in the Mac OS installation procedure.

Unfortunately the link in the above mentioned guide (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3487125/ISO%202%20DSD.zip) leads to an error message.

Could you please send me the link for the ISO2DSDv2 ZIP file as mentioned in the guide on page 14.

Highly appreciate your support.

Thank you very much!

GAMBU

Hi Ted

I'm interested in computeraudiophile.com since quite some years now but I'm a newbie regarding registration to this forum :-).

Now I started to follow this thread just recently and I have also read your "Ripping Guide - Version 3.0".

As a Mac user i am interested in the Mac OS installation procedure.

Unfortunately the link in the above mentioned guide (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3487125/ISO%202%20DSD.zip) leads to an error message.

Could you please send me the link for the ISO2DSDv2 ZIP file as mentioned in the guide on page 14.

Highly appreciate your support.

Thank you very much!

GAMBU

As stated before here, I no longer send the ISO2DSD.zip because people put it in the wrong place on their hard drives. So I have created (also here) a short primer to do it manually in 3 minutes. It is in the PM I sent you. I will send the MACOSX link under separate cover. Gambu and Churchill, welcome to CA.

Just want to confirm a procedure on the guide. If you have a PS3 at FW 3.55 you have to do the CFW install procedure in Section 2 step 16? Put the PS3 in a console mode per se.

Mr Wicked's instructions imply that, yes, but we need to hear from those who own 3.55 stock machines. I don't so didn't have this choice. My understanding is that it is specific to the machine, meaning for whatever reason some have been successful using the default install.

Settings for foobar2000

Hi,

I am working backwards and at the moment I am trying to see that I can convert SACD-format files to WAV-format before I start ripping SACD's because I don't have a player that will take raw SACD-format.

Following the advice on this thread I installed foobar2000 and the SACD plugin. I have some sample tracks from High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH which provides free samples [by the way the download name and password are 2L in uppercase] and I am able to play the DSD file I downloaded. When I tried to convert it to FLAC or WAV it worked but it ended up as a 44.1kHz/24bit file.

I did a bit of research on the internet and found I can get a 88.2kHz/24bit file by changing settings [my player stops at 88.2/96]. But I also found a lot of suggestions about the best settings in foobar2000 so my question is what should I use for the conversion ..

I am looking at the menu .. file/preferences/tools/sacd

and the options are

PCM samplerate [i have set this to 88.2]

DSD2PCMmode -- lots of suggestions and I am using MultiStage (fixed-point)

So what should I use .. thanks

Loxodromic

DSD2PCMmode -- lots of suggestions and I am using MultiStage (fixed-point)

Just use what sounds best to you ...

I use the "Direct (Double-Precision, 30kHz LF)" setting to get rid of the rising DSD noise above 30kHz, but ... YMMV.

You might also try out some of the included "Installable FIR" filters.

(Note that "Double-Precision" should be more accurate in processing, but uses a bit more cpu power too).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Hi Ted,

I would like to install sacd-extract on headless Debian Linux Mint. I am getting an error from cmake - are you able to shed any light on my error? Here's my process so far :

henry@audio ~/ $ svn checkout http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ sacd-ripper

henry@audio ~ $ cd sacd-ripper/

henry@audio ~/sacd-ripper $ cmake .

CMake Error: The source directory "/home/henry/sacd-ripper" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.

Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.