IGNORED

Will an external DAC improve music audio quality for me?

Gamboge

Question

21 answers to this question

@Gamboge The best thing you can do is just to try something with possibility to return it. As Chris mentioned, personal experience is the basis.

My tips to try in your price range:

SMSL M300 SE

iBasso DC04Pro

FiiO K3

It is good idea to read Amazon reviews from real customers, but you still cannot take others opinion like 100% relevant for you and your IEMs. Try to find some common points which appear in more reviews.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

The unfortunate answer is that it’s impossible for anyone to tell you it will sound better/worse/different. 

It depends on the type of music you listen to (EDM, Metal, classical, etc…), your ears, your perception, IEM sensitivity, music sources, quality of the motherboard and many other things. 

Aren't there objective numbers? Or at least a general consensus?

2 minutes ago, Gamboge said:

Aren't there objective numbers? Or at least a general consensus?

No objective data can tell you if music will sound better to you. Do you listen to 64 kbps internet radio streams of death metal and or well recorded high resolution classical with a lot of dynamic range? When you turn up the volume do you hear noise from the motherboard?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No objective data can tell you if music will sound better to you. Do you listen to 64 kbps internet radio streams of death metal and or well recorded high resolution classical with a lot of dynamic range? When you turn up the volume do you hear noise from the motherboard?

I'll listen to lower and higher resolution audio at different times. I don't strictly stick to a particular genre or quality. When comparing the same audio played with onboard to with a DAC, is there no difference unless the audio is of a sufficiently high quality? Also, I do not notice any static or otherwise unusual noise when the volume is high.

3 minutes ago, Gamboge said:

I'll listen to lower and higher resolution audio at different times. I don't strictly stick to a particular genre or quality. When comparing the same audio played with onboard to with a DAC, is there no difference unless the audio is of a sufficiently high quality? Also, I do not notice any static of otherwise unusual noise when the volume is high.

Good to know. 

Audio = garbage in / garbage out just like everything else. 

If you’re a perceptive listener the chances are good that you’ll enjoy a better DAC (given what you’ve stated). If you only listened to low quality dynamically compressed death metal, then it may not matter. Nothing wrong with that though. 

You’ll really need to try it for yourself. Nobody can tell you what your subjective experience will be. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

29 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

the ALC4080 on its own doesn’t mean much. The motherboard designer could make it pretty good or terrible. 

I have an aorus b650i. Can't find much discussion on its audio quality.

15 minutes ago, ecwl said:

First, Magni+ is not an external DAC. It is a headphone preamp/amp.

Don't know how I missed that. Guess the Schiit Modi 3E is what I meant. Not sure how that would affect the "impedance matching" though with the built-in amp. What I'm getting from this is the only way to know is to actually try it?

53 minutes ago, Gamboge said:

Don't know how I missed that. Guess the Schiit Modi 3E is what I meant. Not sure how that would affect the "impedance matching" though with the built-in amp. What I'm getting from this is the only way to know is to actually try it?

Here’s an example of a motherboard with good audio design. 

IMG_0882.png

6 hours ago, Gamboge said:

Schiit Modi has no amp or volume control so you won’t be able to connect your IEM to it.

To replace ALC4080, you need a DAC and an amp. ALC4080 is actually DAC+amp.

I think @bogi has some great suggestions of products in your price range.

And yes, I think you’re hearing from all of us that the only way is to try a DAC+amp product and see if it sounds better to you compared to the ALC4080. It probably will. Personally, I suspect I have 70-80% confidence that an external DAC+amp would sound better to you with your Aria IEMs.

2 hours ago, bogi said:

@Gamboge The best thing you can do is just to try something with possibility to return it. As Chris mentioned, personal experience is the basis.

My tips to try in your price range:

SMSL M300 SE

iBasso DC04Pro

FiiO K3

It is good idea to read Amazon reviews from real customers, but you still cannot take others opinion like 100% relevant for you and your IEMs. Try to find some common points which appear in more reviews.

+1

I like to add, that I use the FIIO K7 (w/o BT) as a go-to on my desktop, which works excitingly well especially with highly sensitive iems.

9 hours ago, Gamboge said:

I have a motherboard with ALC4080 HD Audio and use Aria iems. My budget is under $150. If I buy something like the Schitt Magni+, will music sound better? I sometimes play games, but not that often, so it's not as much of a priority.

a decent portable headphone amp runs under $150 and includes DAC, is meant to drive IEM's. That's the route to go. Most now use USB C

with a USB 2/3 adaptor. It will make a difference

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I hate to disagree with our fearless leader, but it is an absolute no-brainer to buy an external DAC.  You, your wife, and even your philistine friends will all notice a difference.  The Schiit you mention is a great choice, and you can return it for a small restocking fee if I'm wrong.  The Audioquest Dragonfly line is also worth a look for a minimalist approach.  Probably not as good as the Schiit, but probably returnable with zero risk from Best Buy or Amazon.

Also, I sense from your question that you're new at this.  You should make sure the files you are playing are at least CD quality.  You can Google this, maybe also search terms such as Redbook, 16/44, FLAC, AIFF...

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

I hate to disagree with our fearless leader, but it is an absolute no-brainer to buy an external DAC.  You, your wife, and even your philistine friends will all notice a difference.  The Schiit you mention is a great choice, and you can return it for a small restocking fee if I'm wrong.  The Audioquest Dragonfly line is also worth a look for a minimalist approach.  Probably not as good as the Schiit, but probably returnable with zero risk from Best Buy or Amazon.

So the reason I agree with @The Computer Audiophile’s reservations is that @Gamboge is using IEMs. I used to have more wired IEMs and I’ve driven them from my desktop or laptop or iPhone or iPad built in DACs and compared them to my Chord Mojo. Depending on the IEM and how easy or hard it is to drive, I have to admit, the amp portion of Chord isn’t really doing much so you’re essentially just hearing the DAC section and while I can hear an improvement, it is definitely not as dramatic an improvement I get from listening through full sized headphones which require more power to drive. So given the price range @Gamboge is thinking of, I would have some reservations to strongly recommend buying blind.  

4 hours ago, ecwl said:

Schiit Modi has no amp or volume control so you won’t be able to connect your IEM to it.

So no sound would come out if I don't also have an amp? Is that because I'm using iems, or because I'm using a desktop? Or will sound come out, but it'll be of low quality? I tried looking this up, but I've found conflicting info.

On 12/30/2023 at 1:40 PM, Gamboge said:

I have a motherboard with ALC4080 HD Audio

I searched about Realtek ALC4080 and found it is interesting:

• It is USB DAC! and not "HD Audio" of traditional meaning (HD Audio like a ALC1220 is PCI/PCIe audio codec that meets Intel High Definition Audio specification)
  • Headphone amplifier is integrated, output impedance is 1Ω, max output power is approx.
    • 32Ω : 70 mW  (SNR 118 dB A)
      600Ω :  7 mW (SNR 120 dB A)
  • Supports DSD 2.8MHz playback using DoP protocol, and DSD 5.6MHz playback somehow
  • Supports 44.1kHz PCM playback!
  • THD+N -85~-90 dB

Its drawback is output power, if you are diehard headbanger who loves planar magnetic headphones you may want louder sound with powerful outboard headphone amplifiers

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin