IGNORED

The list of Streamers/Endpoints/Network DACs compatible with JPLAY app.

@rms478

This is encouraging to hear.  I’ve been using JPLAY to stream Qobuz on an Ifi Zen Stream for months however I’ve had endless problems… some of which I’ve posted about on the forum.

namely my issues are inability to send music to the renderer, random stopping, random track skipping, gapless playback not working.  I can usually reset by force quitting JPLAY and starting over and then am able to play an album.  Have you had any of these issues ?  Have you had to reserve a fixed IP for the Zen Stream in your router settings ? 
Any other tricks to share?  I’ll try pushing up the update time to 12000.

Thanks  

Jason 

IME Ifi Zen Stream is hyper sensetive to the local network environment. For problem free streaming you need an over the average solid local network.

Using Jplay problemfree needs a robust high bandwith, low latency, low jitter local wi-fi environmment. Using an iPad Pro is better than using an iPhone. To many clients on the wireless network can be problematic.

I do not use a static IP adress. In your case i would recomend setting the update time to 1 and change the buffer size and buffer before play to the max (64/50%) in the Zen Stream settings.

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

People forget that network performance is about much more than the top speed number. WiFi sucks compared to wired Ethernet. 

Do you use a lightning to ethernet adapter? And yes, everything I have except for iPads and iPhones is wired for a reason. Stability, lower latency, reliability, etc...

No electron left behind.

On 8/27/2023 at 5:47 PM, clipper said:

Works with Chord Poly 2.

Works with KEF LSX II.

Works with Holo Audio Red (with Holo Red OS).

Works with various streamers running GentooPlayer (MPD + upmpdci, GMediaRender, etc.) - Holo Audio Red, Magna Mano Ultra mkIII, etc.

Have you got it to work in Poly Hotspot mode or when using your iphone's hotspot? Worked well for me on my local network but not when mobile.

18 hours ago, Progisus said:

Have you got it to work in Poly Hotspot mode or when using your iphone's hotspot? Worked well for me on my local network but not when mobile.

In Poly hotspot mode, it doesn't work with Tidal or Qobuz, but it works with an SD card in the Poly.  That was my main reason for getting the Poly (for using on a plane).  But I really do like using it with Tidal and Qobuz (with JPLAY) when on a wifi network.

In iPhone hotspot mode (which I just tried with the Poly for the first time), I can't get the Poly to be recognized.  I'm guessing you're seeing the same thing...

7 hours ago, clipper said:

In Poly hotspot mode, it doesn't work with Tidal or Qobuz, but it works with an SD card in the Poly.  That was my main for getting the Poly (for using on a plane).  But I really do like using it with Tidal and Qobuz (with JPLAY) when on a wifi network.

In iPhone hotspot mode (which I just tried with the Poly for the first time), I can't get the Poly to be recognized.  I'm guessing you're seeing the same thing...

Same findings as you except no sdcard in poly hotspot. That was what I wanted as well. I will revisit that. Thanks!

Followup on my comments re: Ifi Zen Stream.

This morning I returned my modem and my router to my ISP for newer equipment.  I've had the units since 2015.

After installing the new equipment ...including a LPS on the modem, I have not experience any of the issues in JPLAY I was having before.  It's still too early to tell, but my issues may have had nothing to do with the app and/or its integration with the Ifi unit after all.  As others have said, JPLAY may require a very robust network....Which I thought I had , but maybe not.

As I mentioned, I'm hardlined into the ethernet input on the Zen Stream.  Not using WIFI.

I have an EtherRegen switch between my router and the streamer.  My new router requires a power supply of 12V/3A...I only have an LPS of 12V/2A...so I will be purchasing an appropriate one for the new router.

Hoping my issues with dropped connection, / skipping tracks, etc are no longer present with JPLAY.  I should mentioned I never had issues using M-Connect or other means of streaming via the Zen Stream.  Only with JPLAY.

But that could just be the stricter requirements of the network by the app.

thanks for you help

JS

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

The stock Belkin adapter that Apple sells will work great with an iPad. 

I'm interested to know if any of you hear any firm SQ advantages using iPad wired with the usb c to lan adapter compared to wireless? Or is the only advantages speed during library scans?

🎛️  Audio System  

17 hours ago, matthias said:

Two additional questions:

Is this tricky to do?

What do think about the SQ?

Thx again

Matt

It is not tricky, you just set the output to 'iPad' and if DAC is selected as the default audio output in Mac, it will play. The sound is very good, albeit the 'player' does not offer any configuration options (yet). Please note that, at the moment, JPLAY app primary functionality is a 'remote' - the players/servers are on the network and JPLAY manages them, builds a library of your music, stats etc. It is possible that in the future we will work on a full-blown desktop app with more playback oriented features, but it's too early to make any promises. 

But the short answer to your quesiton is: yes, it can play directly to a USB DAC on an M CPU Mac. 

In the screenshots below you can see I'm playing to Chord Mojo (iPad). Sounds pretty good, although I'm playing from my XACT S1 music server's library and even in this short test I can clearly hear the difference between local and streaming which means this setup offers decent resolution.L1008256.thumb.JPG.e69f65cd78a82cd72e74b5b4b3049741.JPG

image.thumb.png.b7cc7cdf79a1f7bbb05a4975ccee1d89.png

image.thumb.png.5885db77fcbac573bf909c33a315bb4e.png

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

16 hours ago, Marcin_gps said:

It is possible that in the future we will work on a full-blown desktop app with more playback oriented features, but it's too early to make any promises. 

But the short answer to your quesiton is: yes, it can play directly to a USB DAC on an M CPU Mac. 

Some additional features in a desktop app for M CPU Macs with SQ optimised output via USB to DAC would be a nice alternative to another software player. Please think about it!

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

21 hours ago, matthias said:

Some additional features in a desktop app for M CPU Macs with SQ optimised output via USB to DAC would be a nice alternative to another software player. Please think about it!

@Marcin_gps

I am very pleased that JPLAY for iOS allows direct USB output to DACs with M CPU Macs.

Nice would be automatically switching of Audio MIDI parameters like Audirvana Studio does for example.

Additional features should not provide a loss of sound quality. I think SQ should always be priority over features.

So upsampling and audio plug-ins are not important for me.

I hope JPLAY for iOS provides the best sound quality for streaming from Qobuz in comparison to all other software players.

Thank you

Matt

@Marcin_gps

Hi Marcin,

I have a question regarding the following set-up:

*M CPU Mac

*JPLAY for iOS for streaming from Qobuz

*Direct output via USB to DAC

In this case JPLAY is both control app but also renderer of the files from Qobuz, correct?

Thanks

Matt

On 10/8/2023 at 6:51 AM, matthias said:

@Marcin_gps

Hi Marcin,

*M CPU Mac

In this case JPLAY is both control app but also renderer of the files from Qobuz, correct?

Thanks

Matt

@matthias The concepts of media renderer and control point etc are terms related to DLNA/UPNP flow.  The scenario you are describing is not, in your scenario JPLAY for iOS is a player sending the bitstream from Qobuz to the USD DAC.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, matthias said:

@Marcin_gps

Hi Marcin,

*M CPU Mac

Thanks

Matt

The player is basically the "iOS default one".

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder