IGNORED

UPS questions.

AudioDoctor

Question

Hello everyone, I am hoping one of you here can answer my question regarding use of a Double Conversion On Line Smart UPS from APC. I want to use these at a few locations in my home, one on my network, TrueNAS, and HQP machine, and one on my Mac Studio Ultra at my desk. This last example is where I see a potential problem. The smallest model available has a minimum power draw spec of 135 watts. A power figure I don't think I will hit in average use  even with every peripheral device plugged into the UPS and running. Alongside the M1 Studio Ultra are a 32 inch LG 4k monitor, a Cd/DVD/Blu-Ray reader/burner, a few external HDDs. I am tempted to go get a power meter tomorrow to make sure, but I would be very surprised to see this pulling anywhere near 135 watts from the wall. So finally, to the question.

Is it bad for these UPS devices to pull less than that listed minimum spec?

The device:  https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/SRT1500XLA/apc-smartups-online-1500va-tower-120v-6x-515r-nema-outlets-smartslot-extended-runtime-w-o-rail-kit/?%3Frange=61918-smartups-online&parent-subcategory-id=88976&selected-node-id=27162421315

No electron left behind.

10 answers to this question

The minimum power draw is what the UPS uses if the load at the output is zero.

Since this UPS is a double conversion type, the inverter is always on, as well as the protection circuits, battery management and all that.

As far as the load is concerned, there is no restriction.

The 135W is a figure specified so those with solar/ battery systems to account for every watt used. 

If you are considering this UPS, please add an isolation transformer to the load to reduce common mode noise.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, cjf said:

FWIW,

I have 3 of these CyberPower 1500va's for like 6-7yrs now and they have been solid:

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pfc-sinewave/cp1500pfclcd/

A few months ago I did an "Audit" of my power usage in the house and during that time I measured one of the above mentioned UPS's which is used to power all the below listed items and the "Running" watts at all times (24/7) was 104watts.

Router
Firewall
Internet Modem
Ubiquiti Wireless AP
Ubiquiti switch
Large music servers (w/ 1200w PSU)
1 x IP CAM

I used a fancy Reed Power Meter FWIW to measure the draw of the UPS itself.  Over a 24hr period it was like 2.5kWh give or take

In that time, how many power outages/brownouts have you had and was switchover ever a problem? The Line Interactive type would sure save me a few bucks.

No electron left behind.

19 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

In that time, how many power outages/brownouts have you had and was switchover ever a problem? The Line Interactive type would sure save me a few bucks.

I've had quite a few outages  (Not sure exact number but I can say its been at least 10 and likely much more) since first purchasing these units. Switch over has been seamless each time...up until recently.

Only this past year the units I have started just shutting off when they get zapped instead of attempting to maintain a load via the battery. I think they have been zapped too many times at this point. 

For the small up front cost and number of years of usage I got out them I can't complain.

After 6-7 years, I think all UPS devices would have DEAD batteries.  At least twice a year, I conduct battery tests on my UPS devices with a load!!

I average about four outages a year, most very short.   Keeping my NAS safe is the primary use.  The secondary benefit is to keep the core network running.   Much of our computing is portable devices that are self-powered!