IGNORED

music server windows or linux

Here's the thing...

Some people like linux more for the way it sounds. I am one of them. Others think Windows sounds better. The other consideration is what software do you want to run? Does it work on both or only one of them? The nice thing is, you can try them both and see what you think.

No electron left behind.

Just changed my server [Roon Core] from Windows Server 2019 Desktop to Ubuntu Server. Ubuntu sounds leaner, not as rich sounding. Going to stick with it for a few weeks before I decide, but its not a huge difference. Main issue for me is that you can't configure a network bridge with Windows Server Core, have to use the desktop version.

i was thinking of going with a linux music server since it would be more stable one would think i have been going through windows music servers and i just dont like em... ubuntu seams to be for the masses so i was thinking somethihng like debian not sure what server though....

If you are doing a server just for music I would go with Debian or Ubuntu. I am using the latest LTS version of Ubuntu server with the real time kernel installed. I use Cockpit to manage the server which is easy to install on Debian or Ubuntu. There are lots of tutorials on the web of how to slim down the server installation, and how to remove unnecessary services. As I say, my server is Roon core only as I have a network renderer not a DAC. If you have a DAC a separate machine for your endpoint would give the best sound. 
I can also recommend Euphony Stylus as Linux software if you are willing to pay, as it gives you lots of options with a DAC. It is based on Arch Linux but you have no root access. 

21 hours ago, JaredM42 said:

any  recomendations as to what to try not sure where i wanna go with this yet 

a lot depends on what you already have.

If you don’t have anything and you start from scratch a quite easy solution could be to get a nas (Qnap or Synology), move all your music files on it, install Minimserver that is a UPNP mediaserver and will manage your library by tags or by folders.

Then you need a UPNP renderer that can be a dac too as, for example, Gustard A26 or Gustard R26.

Both nas and renderer/dac must be connected to your local network, better if wired.

Using an app like Bubbleupnp or MConnect on you smartphone/tablet you’ll be able to select from Minimserver your music and play it to your renderer.

You’ll be able to play Tidal or Qobuz too from the same apps

Stefano

My audio system

basically what i'm looking to do is access my music from my home pc while at work and yes i do agree linux does have better sound but it also has more options to chose from 

i have tried the ones like mserver and others of the like but universal media server just really haveiunt found one i like yet i guess 

9 minutes ago, JaredM42 said:

basically what i'm looking to do is access my music from my home pc while at work and yes i do agree linux does have better sound but it also has more options to chose from 

i have tried the ones like mserver and others of the like but universal media server just really haveiunt found one i like yet i guess 

Roon Arc works perfectly for remote access.

If all you want to do is make your music available on your network, get a cheap NUC and an external drive. Put Ubuntu Server LTS on it, share the external drive as an SMB share on the network and you're done. That can be done by a RaspberryPi4, but I would stick with X86 hardware for software compatibility. If you want to run audio software on it, then that's a different consideration depending on the software.

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 1:17 AM, JaredM42 said:

JRiver Media Center is the easiest way to do this, IMO.  But you can also use something like Openmediavault and set up an FTP connection.

Personally, I consider me a Mac guy, had my first in 1987...;-)...every DOS person laughed, that a mac is not a real computer as it had a GUI :-D 

Fast forward to the present, some of the biggest geeks I met in Silicon Valley were die hard .net and windows fan and it was amazing what they could do with it. This idea that Linux is cool and for geeks and the best, is simply ridiculous. Dont get me wrong, my daily work is K8 and OCP on linux. Good stuff, BUT purely from a musicality perspective, windows server 2019 is the most musical OS currently out there, IF you tweak it accordingly. Period! 

I use a server 2019 for HQP and a little Atom IOT board for the NAA on Server 2019 core. Can't get better IF you look for most music...

The way I set them up is as "appliance". I just push start button and then use HQP Desktop to choose my music which is locally stored. To shut it down I use a script for remote shutdown (or just pull the plug. Server 2019 is super robust and stable and can handle this)

my 2 cents ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Rsmaximasr said:

Mac or Linux, never windows. You can’t beat the new m1/m2 macs, or the newer AMD Ryzen procs, both superior over intel. Roon and audirvana have the best sq. 

could not disagree more. Beauty of our world. Suum cuique. And you still have a great road ahead of you to find music in your system 😉😉

On 8/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, Rsmaximasr said:

Mac or Linux, never windows. You can’t beat the new m1/m2 macs, or the newer AMD Ryzen procs, both superior over intel. Roon and audirvana have the best sq. 

Ryzen is very noisy for audio playback. Intel processor has cleaner sound and lower interference due to its architecture design and CPU instructions.

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com

21 minutes ago, Windows X said:

Ryzen is very noisy for audio playback. Intel processor has cleaner sound and lower interference due to its architecture design and CPU instructions.

Not my experience. A low TDP Ryzen offers a better balance of power and performance in my server. But everybody makes their own choices. 

6 minutes ago, tyke2806 said:

Not my experience. A low TDP Ryzen offers a better balance of power and performance in my server. But everybody makes their own choices. 

To be fair you should compare the same TDP processor and Intel has better instructions for Intel optimized software version like JPLAY for example. You can use Intel app version to get better sound quality. But yeah it's personal experience and it's all good if you enjoy your system. :)

3 hours ago, Windows X said:

To be fair you should compare the same TDP processor and Intel has better instructions for Intel optimized software version like JPLAY for example. You can use Intel app version to get better sound quality. But yeah it's personal experience and it's all good if you enjoy your system. :)

I did compare it to the same TDP in my other Intel server which I use for Plex movies now. Still preferred AMD. 
I use Roon Server on a Clear Linux install, not a fan of JPlay. 

6 minutes ago, tyke2806 said:

I did compare it to the same TDP in my other Intel server which I use for Plex movies now. Still preferred AMD. 
I use Roon Server on a Clear Linux install, not a fan of JPlay. 

Well, it's your personal preference and I respect that. I shared technical point of view why I consider Intel is a better processor for audiophile applications.

Regards,

Keetakawee

If macs are so bad, why do most recording studios use them? You would think nobody would want to introduce noise in the recording. Here are a couple of replies from recording engineers regarding macs in recording studios:

‘Just re-iterating the two other answers here.

I’ve never been in a professional studio that isn’t running a Mac as their DAW machine. I must have been in a couple of dozen in the last ten years.

A well maintained Mac that isn’t attached to the internet is pretty much bullet proof. These days PCs are similarly reliable and capable, if taken care of, but the Apple has built up an awesome amount of goodwill and has a great reputation among the audio community.’

I think I have only ever been in one studio in the last twenty years that has been using a PC for music production, although they have frequently been used as the basis of many DAWs and mixing consoles.

But as far as running ProTools, its always Macs. And I’ve never been in a professional studio that uses any software other than ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, Cubase or Digital Performer, all primarily Mac based music production applications.

So the short answer to your question? 100%.”