IGNORED

RAAL-requisite CA-1a

These are garnering positive feedback even among those who, seemingly, could not accept the SR1a's for either "They don't look like headphones" or "They aren't bass canons" type reasons.

Even Zeos likes them, even if he cannot resist the urge to fiddle with the earpads and rant about cables.

I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, and my one reservation is the comfort of those open foam cups. I have sworn off the upper level Grado's because the foam pads were just unwearable for more than ten minutes at a time. 

I've just bought a pair of AB1266's so I am not in any hurry, but the CA1a's certainly look easier to wear if the pads aren't an issue.

34 minutes ago, LowOrbit said:

These are garnering positive feedback even among those who, seemingly, could not accept the SR1a's for either "They don't look like headphones" or "They aren't bass canons" type reasons.

Even Zeos likes them, even if he cannot resist the urge to fiddle with the earpads and rant about cables.

I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, and my one reservation is the comfort of those open foam cups. I have sworn off the upper level Grado's because the foam pads were just unwearable for more than ten minutes at a time. 

I've just bought a pair of AB1266's so I am not in any hurry, but the CA1a's certainly look easier to wear if the pads aren't an issue.

I struggled for a long time on purchasing these or the Meze Empyrean.  I decided on the Meze solely on the earpad material.  I've had them for about a month now and know their signature, later today I'll be purchasing Accurate Sounds filters for these headphones.  I can't wait.  Thanks @mitchco for your help.

Zeos was really excited about CA1's, I hope I didn't make a mistake😉.  I'll be looking forward to Chris's review or blog.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Spending some time listening through the CA-1a today, and doing a cursory comparison to the SR1a. I know this isn't a complete apples to apples comparison, but the results are so far suprising. 

Roon > @mitchco CA-1a filters (with baffle compensation built-in) > dCS Lina DAC > dCS Lina Headphone amp > RAAL-requisite TI-1b > CA-1a headphones.

Roon > @mitchco SR1a filters (no baffle compensation) > dCS Lina DAC > RAAL-requisite OB baffle compansation XLR > dCS Lina Headphone amp > RAAL-requisite TI-1b > SR1a headphones. 

The CA-1a right now is a much better headphone, given the configurations above. I have a lot of listening left to do, so perhaps things will change on another day, a different config, or with different music. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Spending some time listening through the CA-1a today, and doing a cursory comparison to the SR1a. I know this isn't a complete apples to apples comparison, but the results are so far suprising. 

Roon > @mitchco CA-1a filters (with baffle compensation built-in) > dCS Lina DAC > dCS Lina Headphone amp > RAAL-requisite TI-1b > CA-1a headphones.

Roon > @mitchco SR1a filters (no baffle compensation) > dCS Lina DAC > RAAL-requisite OB baffle compansation XLR > dCS Lina Headphone amp > RAAL-requisite TI-1b > SR1a headphones. 

The CA-1a right now is a much better headphone, given the configurations above. I have a lot of listening left to do, so perhaps things will change on another day, a different config, or with different music. 

Looking forward to your full review!  Might the difference be attributable to Mitch's filters working better with the CA-1a?  Have you compared with no filters?

I did additional comparisons today. The CA-1a is a much better headphone than the SR1a, and the SR1a was, "the most sensational audio product I've ever heard." I would say that I don't know how RAAL-requisite did it, but I kind of do, after talking to them on the phone today.

I'm pretty shocked that the SR1a has been topped, but I guess if it was going to be done, the same team would be the odds-on favorite to do it. The most shocking part is the delta between the SR1a and CA-1a. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I did additional comparisons today. The CA-1a is a much better headphone than the SR1a, and the SR1a was, "the most sensational audio product I've ever heard." I would say that I don't know how RAAL-requisite did it, but I kind of do, after talking to them on the phone today.

I'm pretty shocked that the SR1a has been topped, but I guess if it was going to be done, the same team would be the odds-on favorite to do it. The most shocking part is the delta between the SR1a and CA-1a. 

Mmm, I think it would be desirable to review these both with and without mitch's filters. If the CA-1A only sounds better using the filters, thats important to know

for any prospective purchaser.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, LowOrbit said:

I haven't had a chance to hear them yet, and my one reservation is the comfort of those open foam cups. I have sworn off the upper level Grado's because the foam pads were just unwearable for more than ten minutes at a time. Plastic check it out cosmetic!

I agree that I also have the most positive impression about these headphones!