IGNORED

TEAC UD-701N - Undiscovered gem or farce

2 hours ago, celestial_sound said:

So my dilemma here is, why no one talks about this unit yet? Stereophile never reviewed TEAC product in the last 20 years. Why no online reviews from the known magazines.

Good question.  This unit seems to have been largely ignored even though it ticks just about every box for a contemporary streaming DAC/preamp/HP amp. Offers identical functionality and at least  some of the same componentry ( inc in-house DAC) as sister brand Esoteric’s N05XD which itself has had limited but rave reviews. I tried, but my local TEAC dealer didn’t offer any prospect of getting a demo item in stock.  There is though a thread here at AS with feedback from at least one owner.

Having said that, at first glance the previous NT505 seemed like it could be a bargain  version of the old Esoteric N05, but I’ve never seen user reviews suggesting that level of performance, so maybe there’s a bit more to it than specs and some shared components?  AFAIK Esoteric is built in Japan, TEAC in China.

2 hours ago, celestial_sound said:

Exactly, that was the point of my question. Why no reviews, is it bad marketing strategy by TEAC or I'm missing something. I understand TEAC is made in china but so is Denfarpis, HoloAudio, Lumin, Topping, SMSL, Gustard among others which are reviewed every day by any site you can think of

Seems mostly a marketing thing perhaps.
Used to be that marketing for audio products was all done in magazines etc.

Nowadays it's in huge part word of mouth and reviewers. I'm not aware of them giving review units to anyone so if there's no one reviewing it there's not many people who will be aware of it unless they happen to see it elsewhere.
And with little reviews and little community feedback, people will be hesitant to blind buy (such as this post for example asking for info on it).

Marketing is everything, and amazing products can sell poorly if not marketed well, and terrible products can sell amazingly if the marketing push is strong enough

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

26 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

And with little reviews and little community feedback, people will be hesitant to blind buy (such as this post for example asking for info on it).

You described my exact situation. I'm in search for a good DAC/Streamer combo for a while and this TEAC thing came from a dealer which is not in my country. As you predicted, I'm hesitant at this moment to buy it blind since there is no single review measuring this product. It may have design flow. Who knows ...  

It might be strategic decision to stay stealthy?

I understand that a multifunctional device aimed on third party software / firmwares like i.E ROON or Apple is different piece of work than a standard DAC. I remember the MOON guys being very proud of their efforts integrating seamlessly streaming services, ROON and APPLE IOS compatibility into their MIND application. It sounded as any new IOS update could be prone to destrroy the customer's experience with their Mind driven units.

The big guns in the game  (Apple/Google/ROON) may not bee too concerned about dependencies of other players

In fact, from a reviewer's angle I may understand TEAC's reluctance to provide review samples/loaners, as their software achitecture my be unwillingly some unfinished business which may translate as well into unhappy customers if not done  properly?

I had a look at the TEAC.jp website and found this list in the product notice section:

48 minutes ago, celestial_sound said:

This guys from Esoteric(TEAC) have their own remastering studio. Isn't it cool :) 

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/esoteric-mastering

They released SACD's.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

5 hours ago, robi20064 said:

Sorry, but how is Google getting into this picture? Is it about Android or YT or Google Music or what exactly?

Apple and Google are application (airplay / chromecast) & platform firmware (IOS&MacOS/Android&ChromeOS) provider for the control points (tablets/phones/pc) in the streaming game.

Plus, Google is the major shareholder of the Stream Unlimited system integrator which provides streaming modules for many upmarket devices.

Is Esoteric having a recording branch any different than Linn, or B&W having the same?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

I thought they sold their name in a partnership with Peter Lyngdorf?

I think you have it. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Hi all, whilst I have no experience with UD-701, I have used TEAC NT-505 as a Streamer/DAC for over 3 years with Hegel  H360 integrated amp.

NT-505 worked  very well with the Lumin app, and was always solid - had no operational issues streaming music from Tidal and Spotify. Overall I was very happy with the sound quality, worth the money and more. 

I am still using a TEAC UD-501 DAC. It has served me well and still sounds great.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I think companies that have lasted for 40+ years in a tough industry have generally done so by having a solid engineering base among other things.  

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, Audiovector, Scaena, Hegel, NAD, Bluesound, Parasound, Teac, Roon Labs, Artnovion acoustic treatment, Storm Audio (best AV prepro on Earth!), JVC, Clarus Cable and Power, more.. www.outreachav.com

2 channel system:  EERA Majestuoso II DAC, Teac UD-701N DAC/Streamer, Teac CG-M10 Clock, Technics 1200GLE TT, Dynavector XX2mkII cartridge, Hegel phono stage, Hegel P30A preamp, Hegel H30A amp, Scaena 3.2 loudspeakers, Clarus Crimson cabling/Duet power conditioner, PS Audio P20 power regenerator,  Roon Nucleus+ server.  Surround: above plus Storm Audio ISP MK2 prepro, Paradigm Persona subs (2), Paradigm XR13 sub, NAD M28 amp (2)

56 minutes ago, rblnr said:

I think companies that have lasted for 40+ years in a tough industry have generally done so by having a solid engineering base among other things.  

Well, it is similar to Pioneer in the 70-80's - they had their super-popular models (receivers, etc.), and then they didn't know how to deal with the products, like the M-22/M-25 amps. These were engineers making very advanced products but marketing didn't follow.

Similar issue with TEAC.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Looks like a great unit. With streaming and preamp features, and with the 1-bit processor it certainly presses all the audiophile buttons. 

Sounds like a cost effective way to put together a really good system with a simple setup. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)