IGNORED

The Dreaded Washing Machine

Citrus

The curse of audio.

very interest if anyone has views on this one

I recently installed a dedicated main to my system using Beldon active earth screened cable. Good improvement in clarity. Yum) The Active earth was connected to the plug end not socket so nearest to the CU

I was very surprised to hear my Bifrost 2 starting to hum when the machine cycle was on?

The only thing I can think of is may be the dedicated main was not dedicated enough, so it really needed a separate CU as well? (CU consumer unit or fuse box what ever you want to call it!)

May be the terroidals are far more sensative than I first thought?

C.

why would you connect the earth to the plug side and not the other side? Anything in the form of noise that is picked up in the shield should be directed away from your device,

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

All electricals in a home are the spawn of the devil, until proven otherwise, :). Actually, the real issue is that the engineering of audio components is not good enough, and they allow noise and interference to impact their audible behaviour. Either you put up with this, or shut down all the non-audio stuff while doing serious listening, or work out ways to improve what should have been done by the manufacturers. The last option can be be hard work, and take years to to work out a 'perfect' solution - it all depends upon how seriously you take this ...

One thing I can guarantee is that there will be no magic bullet - unless you're really, really lucky - the more resolving a rig, the more likely this will become a problem that needs to be dealt with ... only persistence, and being willing to try anything may be needed to get an optimum result, o.O.

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

One thing I can guarantee is that there will be no magic bullet - unless you're really, really lucky - the more resolving a rig, the more likely this will become a problem that needs to be dealt with ... only persistence, and being willing to try anything may be needed to get an optimum result.

Bullfeathers!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Refrigerators are a particularly, electrically, noisy device. Our unit is on the same mains circuit as the audio system, and it was very useful as a way of checking whether my filtering and conditioning methods were satisfactory. Same goes for a suite of switching power supplies feeding all the visual media gear, literally plugged into a neighbouring socket to that of the audio. So, solutions are possible - makes no difference to our SQ if these noisemakers are in, or out of circuit - which certainly wasn't the case when I first started checking these factors.

Why not just change the electrical arrangements in the house, to avoid having to do this? Say, adding an isolation transformer to a fridge? Because, sometimes you're caught ... you have no control over something nearby which generating enough disturbing energy to cause you grief; you can't do anything directly to the actual culprit, to improve matters. So, the best solution is to build a solid protection 'shield' around your gear; then you can move it anywhere; and if anything new or unexpected turns up where your rig is now, this has no effect ...

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

All electricals in a home are the spawn of the devil, until proven otherwise

54 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

I read somewhere, in Japan, every sound recording studio has dedicated isolation transformer for their refrigerator.

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Refrigerators are a particularly, electrically, noisy device.

I also blame Brexit.

You think I'm joking.?

Additional red tape and customs declarations means electricity will no longer flow as smoothly as it used to when the UK was a full member of the European Union

😎

30 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Ring Circuit, UK unique electrical wiring method to save copper, may contribute this mess further to people in UK ...

US electrical wiring is 1Φ3W so it is possible to connect washing machine to S1 circuit and audio to S2 circuit to alleviate noise problem.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

It looks like the dedicated line's earth is better (lower impedance) than before when plugged into the wall as is. The Bifrost has a 9V dc supply? The washing machine which contains variable speed drives, and a host of other complex menu digital systems, is looking for a path that's 'easy' and has found the Bitfrost. 

Try to earth the power supply for the Bifrost, ifi have an adapter where an earth connection can go to.

Other than that, perhaps the ring main you guys have in the UK has a weak earth connection and may need attention by an electrician.

You don't need another 'CU' or Sub-board, that won't cure the noise.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

Other than that, perhaps the ring main you guys have in the UK has a weak earth connection and may need attention by an electrician.

I agree, Ask local electrician to resolve the problem. Install electrical noise suppression filter to washing machine or isolation transformer or something other effective measure they think.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

somehow I doubt that the earth is the issue, if everything is working properly earth is not carrying any current whatsoever. If the fridge, washing machine show current on the casing which should be connected to earth there is an issue that needs to be resolved. The IMO more likely culprit is the washing machine motor creating spikes, which can be suppressed by connecting a filter circuit over the motor. Noise filter modules do exist and can easily be installed in the washing machine. Searching for 'washing machine noise filter' gets you several hits.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

12 hours ago, Cebolla said:

and here was me thinking this thread was going to be about those Russian supplied washing machines of dubious origin.

Wow.  Brexit and Russia.  @Cebolla you might be on to something.  

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

49 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Your in!

Ok, just one thing..

5 hours ago, Citrus said:

did you know the name of my band?

‘Brexit and the Russian Washing Machines’

I guess you want to be Brexit and I'm supposed to be one of the Russian Washing Machines, right.? 😏

6 minutes ago, Citrus said:

Is there any other way to look at it!!!!   : )

Actually looks like its narrow down to Brexit and The R Machine (singular)

sounds kind a niffty : ) 

May I propose Brexit and The R Against the Machine.? 

Or maybe simply Brexit and R Against M..(?)

Or even simpler B and R against M.?