IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Well... the room (alas) is actually part of the setup. Did you ever put your gear in a bathroom? Did the illusion stay the same?

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

Great system in a 'bad' room, of course. If you can listen to a live instrument in that space, without, er, losing your sanity, then good reproduction won't have a problem.

Last time I checked, only those who wanted some reinforcement of their efforts with vocal chords went with the bathroom thing, :).

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Last time I checked, only those who wanted some reinforcement of their efforts with vocal chords went with the bathroom thing, :).

I do not understand. How does being in the bathroom provide reinforcement of their efforts with vocal chords?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

If you have never experienced the illusion being so powerful that where you listen to a speaker is completely irrelevant, then you won't ever fully understand. And that's why I find so many high end rigs of no interest - they are quite incapable of doing this.

The more ambitious the speakers (i.e. better resolution, better frequency response, less distortion, etc...) the easier it is to "fuck up" with careless setup. I don't doubt that you can get very satisfying sound from Edifier Bookshelf speakers (S2000 ?), and that's great. I get very satisfying sound from my PortaPro headphones hooked up to my phone. But it's not the same experience as listening to music in my living room, and I would not do with either one. 

With more ambitious speakers (than Edifiers), room interaction and acoustics are probably more critical (but the rewards are there), and that could explain your viewpoint.

Frank doesn't understand that room interactions are one of the issues all audiophiles deal with. Whether treated or not is another issue. An amazing sounding audio system can be deterred by a bad room and a mediocre system can sound decent, if the room is dealt with properly.

He thinks it is all part and parcel of the audio chain itself, that is only 1 part of the equation.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

The brain most certainly does - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_party_effect. But it requires the playback system data to have sufficient integrity, so that the stream of music from the speakers constantly forms a coherent sound source. The brain hears, a) the sound data of the recording, b) any completely extraneous sounds in the listening space, and c) the reaction of the listening space to the sound data being projected into the room. It's quite easy to discard b), but c) could be the tricky one. IME, there's a quite sharp cutoff point, where the information in a) is able to dominate, and the brain can quite easily ignore c) ; the latter "doesn't make sense!", with good enough playback, and is rejected by the listening ear/brain as being irrelevant.

Frank,

I think things are a lot simpler than this.

Essentially, if something is bothering us on a conscious level while we are listening to music, we're not going to be able to lose ourselves into the music.

What this impediment to "the magic" is will vary greatly from person to person.

For you, it's "a lack of integrity" and "distortion".

For me, it's poor recording quality and certain types of music.

These things may not bother others, such as my daughter, who can enjoy music I consider to be absolute crap on the shitty sound system in her car.

Bottom line.

You've come up with an explanation for how your brain operates but I don't believe that it's a universal explanation of how everyone's brain operates.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

37 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Frank,

I think things are a lot simpler than this.

Essentially, if something is bothering us on a conscious level while we are listening to music, we're not going to be able to lose ourselves into the music.

These things may not bother others, such as my daughter, who can enjoy music I consider to be absolute crap on the shitty sound system in her car.

Bottom line.

You've come up with an explanation for how your brain operates but I don't believe that it's a universal explanation of how everyone's brain operates.

It is not even with a brain that has a chemical imbalance, that is really what mental illness is really, it is various things that can cause it. It is the balance between all the interconnections in the brain that goes off (one possible cause out of many and some still not understood).

A recent paper, I read in Psychology was interesting People underestimate the time enjoyed just thinking....

This is Frank's fault, he overthinks everything. We all do it, but Frank has a D.Sc. in it (Doctor of Science - in some EU countries this is a step above a Ph.D. as one has to have expertise knowledge in more than one field of study. My Post Doc advisor, at the University of Georgia, had both a Ph.D. and a D.Sc. He was Swedish too.

Well, back on point, this is what Frank does. Not everything HAS to have an explanation. The Mona Lisa, we know Da Vinci's style, and this is one classic expressions of him. Can't things just be?

Sorry, Saturday morning coffee philosophical thoughts. 🤣

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Just now, hopkins said:

I can predict Frank's next post: `if you don't like poor recording quality it's because your system is not competent." 😁

Just use FF.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

7 hours ago, hopkins said:

Here is an interesting read illustrating the differences between live music and home reproduction: http://www.moultonlabs.com/images/pdfs/loudspeaker_as_musical_instrument.pdf

Most of it is pretty basic, but it is a good recap.

This was quite a good read, and some sections actually on topic for an expectation bias thread.

4 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I can predict Frank's next post: `if you don't like poor recording quality it's because your system is not competent." 😁

Unfortunately, you're probably right... 😭

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

11 hours ago, hopkins said:

The more ambitious the speakers (i.e. better resolution, better frequency response, less distortion, etc...) the easier it is to "fuck up" with careless setup. I don't doubt that you can get very satisfying sound from Edifier Bookshelf speakers (S2000 ?), and that's great. I get very satisfying sound from my PortaPro headphones hooked up to my phone. But it's not the same experience as listening to music in my living room, and I would not do with either one. 

Listening in the living room? The point of competent SQ is that you listen throughout the house - that is, you can set the volume such that the music flows through to every part; and it sounds good from the other end of the building, and, at that same volume, it also sounds good a foot in front of the speakers. Which is precisely what happens if a live musician plays an instrument in your home :).

11 hours ago, hopkins said:

With more ambitious speakers (than Edifiers), room interaction and acoustics are probably more critical (but the rewards are there), and that could explain your viewpoint.

Not really. What does happen, especially in prior years, with ambitious systems is that they become more susceptible to emphasising defects in the chain, and, for me, they are then quite unlistenable to - they often sound like a somewhat better PA system, and sometimes they are worse, ^_^.

People have a terribly hard time coming to grips with the fact that the speakers, and system, are a 'window' into the contents of the recording - the latter sets the limits of what it will sound like; a million dollar speaker won't sound a million dollars, it should sound like the recording.

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Yes.

Yes.

The trouble here is, how does one evaluate "poor recording quality"?

Bottom line.

What I'm after is the sensation in the brain when you listen to the live music. As in, zero PA nonsense in the picture. Anyone who has no trouble distinguishing live music, from the reproduction of the same music event, I would suggest has a brain that is sensitive enough to the difference.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Listening in the living room? The point of competent SQ is that you listen throughout the house - that is, you can set the volume such that the music flows through to every part; and it sounds good from the other end of the building, and, at that same volume, it also sounds good a foot in front of the speakers. Which is precisely what happens if a live musician plays an instrument in your home :).

Not really. What does happen, especially in prior years, with ambitious systems is that they become more susceptible to emphasising defects in the chain, and, for me, they are then quite unlistenable to - they often sound like a somewhat better PA system, and sometimes they are worse, ^_^.

People have a terribly hard time coming to grips with the fact that the speakers, and system, are a 'window' into the contents of the recording - the latter sets the limits of what it will sound like; a million dollar speaker won't sound a million dollars, it should sound like the recording.

FRANK - stop. You are just burying yourself further. You have already have shown you do not know what you are doing.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Here is a horrible living room. Run Frank run....

16640589953898448749798108899502.jpg

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

23 hours ago, fas42 said:

Okay, let's do a role call ... who here has a system that can do the mono replay trick; that is, the soundstage remains completely disconnected from the speakers, irrespective of how far left or right of the centre of the two speakers you are?

Okay, close to 24 hours since this was posted - and no posts responding ... this tells me everything I need to know, :).

The Edifiers have gradually been pushed to a point where they are about 95% there; the illusion holds, depending on how happy the DVD player is, to within a foot or so ...