IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

I posted this elsewhere but thought it appropriate to post it here as well. My view on the viability of a class action lawsuit against MoFi.

I will have to read the complaint, but as a retired trial lawyer who worked cases in federal court and one in the Supreme Court, there are many issues here. The biggest is class certification because without it, I do not see these two lead plaintiffs meeting the $75,000 threshold for diversity, even considering the possibility of punitive damages. With the claims based on state law, I could see a federal judge interpreting things narrowly and kicking the case out To be dealt with at the state court level. I have known a couple federal judges who would be loathe to have this type of case in the federal system, with state court remedies available. Without class certification, I just do not see this case staying in federal court. Then you have the issue of fraud and damages. Now consumer protection laws are not my area of expertise, but is the undisclosed digital step amount to legal fraud? You are still buying a record in all likelihood a great sounding one. If it can be proven that the DSD transfer is transparent to the master, what is the injury? For people who buy these one steps in part as an investment vs. actual use, that may be a bit too speculative for the court to consider. I am not even sure that the purposes of these laws is to protect that interest. Finally, my experience with class action lawsuits is that the only winners are the lawyers, on both sides. The actual plaintiffs get very little. Given all these considerations, would audiophiles like to see MoFi and Music Direct driven out of business so that a few lawyers get to make a killing? For these reasons, I do not really see this case going anywhere. But, I could be wrong.

As for the Pearl Jam recordings, there are some engineers who like to take the master digital, play it to tape and then redigitize the tape. Sound Liaison has done this but they do tell you up front. An artistic decision that as fine with. The recordings do sound mightily fine.

50 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yeah you can: the right VSP plugins and DSP and/or a tube pre. Or a digital tube emulator.

I can even add the various noises that turntables and record playback adds to music reproduction. Actual turntable sounds, digitized. Makes your clean digital file sound like it's being played from an LP:

Adds surface noise, tracking noise, etc. Or the distortion added by the analog desks from Abbey Road.

I can even pops and clicks if you want them. 

All the glories of LP inaccuracy.

Sounds just like the old days.

I'm not joking.

Do not forget the crosstalk added by all cartridges.

Just the old lawyer in me, but these digital step LPs were made from the original master tapes or one can reasonably argue that they were. MoFi made the transfer to DSD from the original master analog tapes not some second or third generation tape . If they can prove the that transfer is transparent to the master tape…. was it deceptive? Yep, by omission . For me, the remedy is a refund which does not require class certification. That would only make the lawyers rich.

Using the class action gambit in this context is why I have been advocating for class action reform for years. Each individual member of the class will get peanuts and the lawyers, from all sides millions. Such a class action could result in MoFi and their owner, Music Direct , going out of business, all so that people who spent way too much money for a piece of vinyl can get pennies on the dollar. Where is the social utility here? After all, the album that they bought is of the artist they thought, plays just fine on their TT and by all accounts, sounds good. Is it defective as a product in a legal sense, because it has a digital step. I think not.

• 8 months later...