IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

Are those people reasonable consumers?

I'm torn.  Most vinyl aficionados that I've met seem to believe they understand the tech behind how modern vinyl (especially vinyl sourced from pre-digital masters) is made.

But I'm struggling to understand how they thought it was possible that MoFi was taking multiple passes at a master tape every time the Ultradisc One-Step "Convert" wore out.  Anyone who has been around any vintage master tapes know how fragile they are and know that you typically get one, and only one opportunity to capture it.

It makes me wonder if any alleged "AAA" vinyl from the modern age is legit.

Put another way...

Before the class action lawsuit:

spacer.png

After the class action lawsuit:

spacer.png

See the difference?

3 hours ago, Norton said:

Unless you accept the likely reality that MoFi customers are in turn a vanishingly small % of what you term “vinyl aficionados”.

People paying $100+ for Santana's Abraxas seem to be a bit larger than this "vanishingly small %" you suggest.

Isn't unexpectedly high demand for these "Ultradisc One-Step" releases what blew the lid off this in the first place?

2 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Much of what my kids enjoy about vinyl is the physical media/sensation.  That's completely understandable

Two years ago, there was a nice young woman who set up a booth at a local farmer's market to type out things on index cards using an old (sorry, "vintage") typewriter.  My bafflement about that and digitally-sourced vinyl is about equal.  🙂

5 minutes ago, Gonzbull said:

Vinyl sounds different than the digital files that made it obviously. The Mastering process is very different for vinyl. I like them both. I can't understand why people get all twisted about all this. Like you, I would absolutely love to get my hands on the DSD files that were used for cutting. It would sound entirely different due to the Mastering however and the playback process. Also pretty obvious. Some people like the sound of vinyl, which when done properly is glorious. Same as with digital. Vinyl can sound better than the digital files that made it. Digital can also sound worse than the digital files that made it. 

With all due respect, this is mumbo-jumbo.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

@Samuel T Cogley So you'd be happy with MQA, then?  😉 You can certainly take well recorded digital files and master or otherwise DSP them to sound bad.  I don't think that's controversial at all.  The Clash's London Calling is one example I can think of where I prefer listening to my original LP versus the compressed digital remaster. I've often referred to my preference for the LP versions of the Who's Tommy and Steely Dan's Gaucho.

Now do I think well done digital can sound better? Absolutely - there are many instances in which I prefer the digital remaster to my original LP (Giles Martin's Sergeant Pepper and Abbey Road, and the Plangent-processed The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle from Bruce Springsteen being a few examples of the latter).

Let's get back to the topic.

DSD files are notoriously difficult to process with regards to simple (for PCM) steps like EQ and gain trim.  So perhaps the inverse RIAA curve was applied using hardware, or there were/are derivative PCM files that were actually used to cut the lacquer.

Loudness Wars is a red herring in this context.

The point, to me, is that digital files are being used to cut lacquer in almost all cases today.  Having decades of experience with vinyl, I would much prefer the digital files without the added mechanical distortion that is inherent in vinyl tech.  It's just that simple.  And I will never subscribe to the notion that a cutting lathe "improves" the sound quality of the signal feeding it.  Sure, I understand why people (especially people who paid $$$$$ for their vinyl rig) want to believe that "vinyl sounds better".  But as with many things in audiophilia, it's a delusion.

28 minutes ago, Norton said:

For some reason you really, really want this to be something to bash people who enjoy vinyl with and seem to care much more about it than most  MoFi vinyl customers do.

Why are boutique vinyl buyers pompous and entitled?  They are just pursuing a hobby that gives them pleasure and I guess have a reasonable expectation that if they pay a premium price for a product of a given (or at least heavily implied) provenance, then that is the product they should receive.  But even given that, there is little evidence that most MoFi vinyl customers are doing anything other than continuing to enjoy their purchases.

I understand the pro-consumerist backlash.  If you feel "bash[ed]" by what I wrote, so be it.