IGNORED

Article: Objective and Subjective Review Of My 7.1.4 Immersive Audiophile System

2 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Thank you for posting this thread and including Mitch's thoughts.  Mitch is working with me right now to "tame" my 5.1 system, using Audiolense XO, through an ExaSound multichannel DAC (S88).  I'm very excited to hear what his DSP filters can do for my system.  My music is classical surround (nowadays, I typically download the DXD 24/352.8 surround version).  I love what I get now but anxious to hear with his filters.

Marcus

Hi Marcus, @mitchco’s work is as important as any component in the system. I hope you enjoy it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 hours ago, Mantheunknown said:

Great article Chris,

Could you please elaborate on how you integrate/use Hapi Mk2 and Anubis.  What feeds it/them and I suppose they feed the amps.  Have you listened to DSD 256 through them.  Your opinion?

Thank you

Cheers

I'm happy to discuss all of this. I love it! However, the full details are coming in an article I have in the queue. 

The short version is this: I have both a MacBook Pro and my CAPS Twenty  computer as sources for the system. Everything uses Ravenna over Ethernet. I've configured two sources on the Anubis, one for each computer. I can select the source with the tap of a finger on the Anubis front screen (sitting next to my listening chair). The sources are setup as Dolby 7.1.4 configurations within the Anubis menu. Anubis does the volume control as well. It's like a preamp, but before the DAC. It can also be thought of as an extension of the DAC.

The Anubis sends the audio to the HAPI MK2, which is just setup to convert digital to analog and connects straight to the amplifiers. 

This is how my setup looks.

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.51.14 AM.png 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Thanks Chris for this very thorough latest instalment from yourself and Mitch on your Immersive system. Peter McGrath certainly has the experience to tune by ear. I had a long chat with him at the Munich show where he shared some valuable words of wisdom with me.

From Mitch's comments it's clear that although DSP is necessary, he was careful to keep it to a minimum.

The next point you made is particularly interesting too me…

With the Wilson Alexias you, of course, have a full range speaker and as Mitch noted he ensured all the other non-bass producing speakers have been set to go as low as they're capable of. Firstly I will just note that there is a school of thought that advises to hand over as much bass as possible to a subwoofer(s) so the other speakers don't need to work as hard. Perhaps though this isn't a concern for the Wilsons as they're designed so well.

Secondly in addition to your full range Alexias, of course, you also have your Wilson Audio Lōkē subwoofer, and this is being used as the LFE (low frequency effects channel) only.

In my case my Avantgarde Trios need the short Basshorns to become full range speakers. The Trios despite their size or rather because of their size reach to 100hz and so are regarded as satellite speakers. In terms of frequency reach alone they could be regarded similar to bookshelf speakers, which need a sub.

The pair of Short Basshorns can accept either the speaker input, extended from the Trios or an XLR input. For my MCH system I use the XLR input fed from my Exasound DAC. I found it was a pain to keep switching between Speaker input and XLR input when I go between MCH and Stereo sources though, because it means toggling a switch at the rear of the Basshorns and because of their position close to the corners, this is tricky to reach on one of the Basshorns. My solution has been to blend the front left and right channels 1 & 2 into the LFE channel 4, attenuated by 24db using HQPlayer's Matrix Pilepline tool. For two channel sources I actually prefer this to the speaker feed.

Then my other dilemma was that I didn't want this blend to occur when I actually play MCH sources, thinking the bass is present on the LFE channel; but as you've pointed out that is not, or at least usually not the case. LFE is for additional effects only, at least with Atmos.

That explains why some of the Apple Spatial music I've been listening to sounded a little lightweight (including George Harrison). So thanks again. Now I can be lazy and use the blend at all times.

My only concern is that if I encounter recordings where most of the bass is sent to the LFE channel, I could encounter excessive bass. So far that's not been a problem though and this change to include the blend is sounding better.

A lot of traditional MCH recordings are 5 channel anyway and are missing the .1 channel, so they would definitely require this blend.

That goes to show how inconsistent MCH/Immersive recordings are. We've always had inconsistency with recordings from their production through mixing and mastering. Now with Immersive/MCH those inconsistencies are multiplied.

On the positive side though, as you've detailed in your subjective listening report, Immersive can better allow us to appreciate music we may not have appreciated or under appreciated up to now.

For me it's almost becoming a requirement for my full enjoyment of classical music. I'm not so sure about other genres though.

Hi Geoffrey, interesting times indeed! While Atmos has been around for ten years in video, Atmos music is still very new. If we only consider Atmos music in high end audio, it's in its infancy, with unlimited potential. I honestly believe we are in beginning another golden age of audio playback. The high end isn't the niche pushing a heavy rock up hill this time. We are accepting what the masses have decided is the standard, Atmos, and perfecting it. This is a recipe for success.

@mitchco sent me this video during the configuration of my system. It details the LFE channel and why certain decisions are made on the content creation side. Really interesting. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Geoffrey, interesting times indeed! While Atmos has been around for ten years in video, Atmos music is still very new. If we only consider Atmos music in high end audio, it's in its infancy, with unlimited potential. I honestly believe we are in beginning another golden age of audio playback. The high end isn't the niche pushing a heavy rock up hill this time. We are accepting what the masses have decided is the standard, Atmos, and perfecting it. This is a recipe for success.

@mitchco sent me this video during the configuration of my system. It details the LFE channel and why certain decisions are made on the content creation side. Really interesting. 

Hi Chris, I tend to agree. With Apple behind Atmos music, is could really take off. Thanks for sharing the video. Interesting indeed, and it has to be admitted there is inconsistency on the consumer side too.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

3 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Hi Chris, I tend to agree. With Apple behind Atmos music, is could really take off. Thanks for sharing the video. Interesting indeed, and it has to be admitted there is inconsistency on the consumer side too.

Inconsistency indeed. I exchanged email with Morten from 2L this morning, and he said the jury is still out on the "right" level for the LFE. 

BTW if anyone's hungry for a further source of immersive audio, I used this software a while back to decode the Ambisonic signals which are present on almost all Nimbus CDs to 5.1:

http://pspatialaudio.com

The results aren't the same as Atmos or even traditional 5.1, of course; but surprisingly pleasing all the same.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:
12 hours ago, bbosler said:

he one Chris mentioned above

R-4457897-1637188159-7201.jpg

Expand  

Make sure you got the Blu-ray, not the SACD as pictured. 

Expand  

Make sure you got the Blu-ray, not the SACD as pictured. 

well CRAP !! so I just ordered the Amazon Blu-ray too... on a bright note I can compare them, but thinking the 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray is probably the same as the SACD... 

I am finding I really like how the Trinnov upmixes 5.1 and 2 channel to Auro 3D so I have hope. I know the purist cringe at the thought of an upmix... but it sounds great

I see "All Things Must Pass" in Atmos on Apple Music so the future is looking good

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

@The Computer Audiophile Sorry if I had missed the information, where in your setup does the Dolby Atomos decoding happen before it is passed on to the convolver?

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, before the convolver. 12 channels of PCM are sent to the convolver. 

I should have been more clear, which software is responsible for this decoding? Is Roon able to decode Atmos to PCM?

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I should have been more clear, which software is responsible for this decoding? Is Roon able to decode Atmos to PCM?

macOS decodes Dolby Digital Plus (lossy), and the Dolby Reference Player decodes TrueHD Atmos (lossless). 

I’m doing something additional that I’ll explain in another article. 

Just want to correct a mistake I made in the comments to your previous article. When discussing the crackling sounds I heard on the Gautier Capuçon, Emotions disc. I heard this at very low volumes and also occasionally on other Atmos recordings. The recordings are fine of course. I had made a mistake in selecting the LNS15 ditherer in HQPlayer, forgetting this was just 48khz material. I've changed it to Gauss1 and the crackling has gone 😀

2 hours ago, garrardguy60 said:

One additional point about All Things Must Pass, which might of value to you, Chris, as a George Harrison newbie. As an old boomer, I grew up with the original ATMP vinyl and for the past 20 years have mostly listened to it via the 30th anniversary CD released in 2000.

If you're coming to ATMP for the first time with the new, 50th anniversary release, even if you're just listening in two-channel, you're getting a slightly but significantly different experience in that Giles Martin did the following in the remix: He noticeably elevated both George's vocals and the bass on all tracks.

This new mix has been criticized in a lot of places (a number of "real" critics and many folks on SHF), but I personally love the new mix. The critics I think have been approaching it as, pick one or the other. I don't see it that way. I see the new mix as delivering a new perspective on an old friend. 

Anyway, so I know that the  older versions of ATMP are not available in 5.1 or Atmos. However, since you're exploring George's work, I thought this would be of interest. (FYI, from what I can tell, the old/new taxonomy on streaming services is: Spotify has the new one  as ATMP 50th anniv and the "original" as ATMP 2014 remix.)

BTW, ATMP is considered to be a not particularly well recorded album (in terms of, for want of a better phrase, hi-resolutionness). This just shows you that music is as important as sound quality. Also, ex post facto, George was said not to be a fan of the "wall of sound" approach that was used on ATMP (he worked with Phil Spector), but there weren't any/enough original bare tracks to remix it as a non-wall of sound album. (I believe this was recorded on 8-track machines. Eight track reel to reel at 30 ips, not 8-track tapes under your car seat.)

Finally, I concur with an earlier poster, you definitely should check out the Concert for Bangladesh. There's both an album and a video of the full concert.

Finally, finally, if you have Apple TV+, I recommend episode 1 of '1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything," That episode focuses mainly on John Lennon's politics, Marvin Gaye and the protests against the war in Vietnam, which may not be your cup of tea, but that's not my point. You can skip thru all that stuff, and seek out the 5 or 10 minute segment where they talk about George, and show good original footage of him preparing for the Concert and what a big deal it was. It was the first big benefit concert, the template that Live Aid and all others followed, in the same way that the Beatles originated large venue rock concerts six years earlier with their Shea Stadium gig.

Hope this is of interest!

EDIT: Salient point, which I forgot to note, is that Concert for Bangladesh is relevant because George is doing his ATMP songs, not his Beatles stuff.

Wow, thanks so much for all the information! Invaluable. 

6 hours ago, garrardguy60 said:

One additional point about All Things Must Pass, which might of value to you, Chris, as a George Harrison newbie. As an old boomer, I grew up with the original ATMP vinyl and for the past 20 years have mostly listened to it via the 30th anniversary CD released in 2000.

If you're coming to ATMP for the first time with the new, 50th anniversary release, even if you're just listening in two-channel, you're getting a slightly but significantly different experience in that Giles Martin did the following in the remix: He noticeably elevated both George's vocals and the bass on all tracks.

This new mix has been criticized in a lot of places (a number of "real" critics and many folks on SHF), but I personally love the new mix. The critics I think have been approaching it as, pick one or the other. I don't see it that way. I see the new mix as delivering a new perspective on an old friend. 

Anyway, so I know that the  older versions of ATMP are not available in 5.1 or Atmos. However, since you're exploring George's work, I thought this would be of interest. (FYI, from what I can tell, the old/new taxonomy on streaming services is: Spotify has the new one  as ATMP 50th anniv and the "original" as ATMP 2014 remix.)

BTW, ATMP is considered to be a not particularly well recorded album (in terms of, for want of a better phrase, hi-resolutionness). This just shows you that music is as important as sound quality. Also, ex post facto, George was said not to be a fan of the "wall of sound" approach that was used on ATMP (he worked with Phil Spector), but there weren't any/enough original bare tracks to remix it as a non-wall of sound album. (I believe this was recorded on 8-track machines. Eight track reel to reel at 30 ips, not 8-track tapes under your car seat.)

Finally, I concur with an earlier poster, you definitely should check out the Concert for Bangladesh. There's both an album and a video of the full concert.

Finally, finally, if you have Apple TV+, I recommend episode 1 of '1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything," That episode focuses mainly on John Lennon's politics, Marvin Gaye and the protests against the war in Vietnam, which may not be your cup of tea, but that's not my point. You can skip thru all that stuff, and seek out the 5 or 10 minute segment where they talk about George, and show good original footage of him preparing for the Concert and what a big deal it was. It was the first big benefit concert, the template that Live Aid and all others followed, in the same way that the Beatles originated large venue rock concerts six years earlier with their Shea Stadium gig.

Hope this is of interest!

EDIT: Salient point, which I forgot to note, is that Concert for Bangladesh is relevant because George is doing his ATMP songs, not his Beatles stuff.

George Harrison’s website used to offer a 24/96 ATMP download with more dynamic range than other versions, but it doesn’t seem to be available on the site anymore. I do like the GM version in spite of its being louder, since you can hear George better.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:14 PM, PeterG said:

Wow--super!

On George Harrison--absolutely!  And I share your odd love of I'd Have You Anytime (can't figure out why...)  I recommend Concert for Bangladesh, Get Back (the documentary), and Let It Be (the new 5 or 6 disc version).  The documentary in particular will make you shake your head--a genius repeatedly dissed by greater geniuses...

Get George's "Early Takes". Demo versions of songs or early arrangements. Some just George and a guitar. It shows off that he really was  good singer, in spite of his admittedly limited voice. Great initimate music. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Get George's "Early Takes". Demo versions of songs or early arrangements. Some just George and a guitar. It shows off that he really was  good singer, in spite of his admittedly limited voice. Great initimate music. 

There are demos on the deluxe version of ATMP, and I’d have to say on the rave-ups like “What Is Life?”, Spector’s version sounds much stronger. (Though I agree GM had the right idea bringing George’s voice forward. I won’t fault Spector for the bass because of the limitations of LPs.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I’m not sure that her dummy head mic’s were the culprit given that these were the TOTL Devore Reference speakers in John Devore’s presumably dialed in listening room. OTOH, the video was made with John’s only pair of the speakers just 24 hours before packing up and shipping to RMAF, so things may have been too rushed. Either way, the video was awesome, and PP Garcia’s video shows the way for how to record a Dolby Atmos presentation using binaural mics and a dummy head.  I also expect that Jana’s expertise (and equipment?) are superior to what they were 4 years ago when video was uploaded. Anyway, the point is, great things are possible if you’re looking to share the experience with a wider but quite knowledgeable audience.