IGNORED

Article: DIY Music Server and Streamer for the Audio Hobbyist

Chris,

Thank you for the kind words.  I really love “Bob’s Rules” too!  Even more I love how great this sounds and how easy it was to setup.  I am really glad I stepped back in time to look at LMS.  The folks that are supporting LMS have done a great job.  All of the other open source software I am using has been great.

In the next few days I will look to setup an AMA someplace to talk about this.

This is a LOT of fun for me.  And there is more to do.

18 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Thanks Bob, one point regarding fans and power supplies. . I agree good DC supplies are beneficial and am opposed to fan noise, but by combining the 2 you can get the benefits of fans without the noise. Heat is the enemy of electronics and just a small amount of air movement can make a huge (20-30 degree F) difference with some devices, verified with an infrared non-contact thermometer

I have one fan I have been testing it is a Noctua NF-A14-ULN.  This is a 12v fan that is not PWM and is really about as silent as you can get.  I have been using it on and off to keep the equipment in my Victrola comfortable.  

What you do not want are the little screamers that come with this cases,  They vibrate and make terrible noises!

I have to measure temps in there again today and report with and without the fan.

20 minutes ago, bbosler said:

pretty sure the fans have nothing to do with being or not being pulse width modulated. That is a function of the controller. PWM is a highly efficient way to control the fan speed but the fan doesn't care. If you take 12VDC and pulse it to the fan at 50% (12 - zero - 12 - zero ) with an electronic switch (transistor) you  effectively get 6 VDC as far as the fan is concerned but no heat because the switch is either full on or full off. If you use a linear regulator that drops 6V all the time you get heat. Unfortunately with PWM you also get electronic noise. 

Agree 100%.  The point is the fan I am using does not have PWM.  and we do not need a PWM controller that could make noise.

https://nerdtechy.com/best-pwm-fan-controller

13 hours ago, ednaz said:

Those BX5a speakers are a secret gem

I am re-enjoying my BX5a speakers, so I have elevated them a bit:

IMG_1535.thumb.jpeg.e1daea165fcebc7c7e160de97bf1da99.jpeg

The stands I was using were too short.  I dug out some taller 4 column stands that are four times heavier.  The stands are on spikes with Herbie's Audio Labs decoupling gliders:

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider?variant=12645103403063

Under the speakers are Isoacoustics ISO-PUCK Minis:

https://isoacoustics.com/pro-audio-isolation-products/iso-puck-series/

The crown on top of the speaker is a doorstop to add some more mass.  (from Amazon). This setup helps me position the speakers and move them out of the way if needed.  And I did not have to spend any more money on them as I had the hardware in my kit! I also did a little inventory of cables and moved a couple of things to have four good power cords for the speakers and electronics.   I also installed an Allo Shanti power supply for the Pi4.  And, just for the fun of it, Put a pair of Transparent Super balanced interconnects from the DAC to the Speakers.   

This has let me see what the speakers can do.  I am pretty happy, and the Ayre Codex seems to fit in there really well:

IMG_1532.thumb.jpeg.beac69bf6066699b44d04af405c9bc97.jpeg

DIY All the way.

2 minutes ago, whell said:

I think wifi is OK for music streaming.  However, another "hard wried" solution might be using powerline networking.  More info about that here: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/what-is-a-powerline-adapter.  Essentially this option uses your home's electrical wiring to transmit the ethernet signal.  Works really well and is a lit cheaper than contracting to run ehternet cables throughout your home.  

I always encourage experimenting and learning.  If a system works for you that is GREAT!.  If you have the inclinations try this for an experiment.  Lay an ethernet cable out and swap between whatever else you are listening with.  One might be different.  Is that difference worth making a change.  For my Living room,  I used a white snake-skinz to cover the ethernet cable that goes from the Victrola where the gear is to a heating register where the cable snakes next to the boot for the register.  No Holes!  Just one idea.  There are a lot of ways to run ethernet.   I have placed my server, NAS, network switch, and other core gear in a single location in my basement for convenience.  

I have had good luck in some cases using WiFi.    It is worth the test, but try to turn off the radios in your Pi and run ethernet.  Just an experiment!  Try the server link first!  In my Technology Consulting business, I have only tried Powerline Ethernet twice.  One instance worked ok but would fail about once a month.  The other would break about once a day.   I have avoided them since.

I am glad folks are enjoying this. I have not had this much fun with audio in forever!.    I love this kind of tinkering.  Over the last 24 hours, I tweaked up my office/basement system, and I am in another class from where I started.  

I hope my Pi2EAS ships soon.  Yet my Mutec DDC is great!  It would be cool to eliminate the USB cable and the extra power cable, power draw, etc...  

42 minutes ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

Hi Bob!

In my speaker system I had Node 2021, Ifi Zen Stream and diy Linux player with MPD client. Diy Linux player was excellent. The best sound.

But it died recently.

Im not expert like you for this stuff. So,.. Looking something easier..how good is Allo usbridge? 

regards,

Simon

I have two Allo USBridge Sig devices they sound great!  

My system setup is a raspberry pi 4 with LMS running and an SSD attached.  Then a second pi4 as the streamer.    The system sounds really good just using the little raspberry Pi DC supplies.  Get some better supplies and wow.

You could start out with one Pi doing both LMS and Squeezelite.

In the USA you can buy a Pi kit with everything you need for around $100.  Check out canakit and others.

Follow the the instructions on PiCorePlayer OS setup.  

I should do a YouTube video on this.

bob

Working on "Bob's Rules"

Getting the core infrastructure in the home is high on the requirements list. Over the past several years, I have tested Enterprise (Ubiquity) and Mesh networks (EERO, ASUS, NETGEAR ORBI) to understand the systems I purchase, install and operate for months at a time.  My network is complex as I integrate two homes in the system (My in-laws live next door), my wife and I both work from home.  We average 55 devices on the network. This stuff has to be as perfectly reliable as possible.

Over the years, I have found optimal placements for Access Points/Mesh Nodes.  Today WiFi 6 has arrived, and it works pretty darn well.  The Mu-MiMo antennas and new software improve throughput and coverage.  

IMG_1550.thumb.jpeg.7a603e3576053ef15ae07f45b85efc75.jpeg

Today, I have a set of three Asus ZenWiFi Mini AX devices running the house.  The main router is in the Living Room at the core, center of the house.   A second Mesh node is on the second floor with a wired backhaul.  The third Mesh node is next door with wired backhaul, but the AI Mesh prefers the 5GHZ wireless backhaul channel!  At $229 from Best Buy locally, these things are a genuine bargain.

What does this have to do with DIY Audio?  Well, everything as we need the network to stream.  As I indicated in the article, I love Ethernet cables.  After much cajoling, I have started a new set of experiments.  And since everyone else is out of the house for the day, I get to play stereo and work!

Over the weekend, I moved the LMS server into the Victrola to start this testing.  This also puts the power supply on the PSM-156 AC filter!  

I listened to the system some yesterday, and I am not sure I was happy with where things were SQ-wise, but the testing was limited!  Today I changed both of the Raspberry Pis to WiFi.  They are 15 feet from the Router/Access Point in the same room.  I have not conducted performance testing yet.  I am just listening to music.

Things seem just a bit more relaxed and open.  A couple of tracks seemed more detailed.  There is more clarity in the vocals and just a bit more depth in the imaging.  Listening to some jazz right now, and it feels more intimate.

So with any DIY project, never stop testing and learning; you might be surprised; I am, and in a good way.  I think that "Bob's Rules" may need a tweak.  That will take more time.

RJF

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks Bob! Yes, the network is the backbone of everything now and many people don't realize how important it is. I talked to ASUS about getting one of its mesh WiFi 6 systems for testing. I wanted to compare it to my full wired (fiber/copper) network. Alas, supply chain issues and the world put my plans on hold :~)

I much prefer wired because it always works and removes ambiguity. However, I fully understand many people can't run wires where they are needed. 

Any more info you have to offer is welcomed. 

I have so many questions about how well WiFi will work for this.  A single system of server + streamer + mesh node in the same room should have no issues.  I have two other streamers in the mix, but I have never run them in parallel to the server.  I can only be in one place at a time!

I am not sure of my network testing process here.  

9 hours ago, longinc said:

Thank you for writing this article, and "showing the the way"

I have been asked a couple of times to compare this to other streamers/servers. The ONLY direct comparison I have is an Antipodes DX that was here for backup and software update. The 3.1 Antipodes software seems to have improved that device a lot! How does it compare to my Pi+Pi system? They are neck in neck. The Antipodes DX is a no-brainer to set up; well, so is the Pi. 

For me, this is an adventure: Jumanji Audio!  

Here is the Commitment:

Assuming you have a PC or MAC and a spare ethernet cable for setup. OH, and GREAT WiFi at home! The kit has everything you need!  

I want you to go MAX in this experiment.  For $250, I want you to buy two CanaKit MAX 4GB Pi 4 kits:

https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-4-starter-max-aluminum-kit.html

On your home computer, follow the original instructions to download and flash the SD cards for the two Pi 4s.  They will get identical software loads of PiCorePlayer.    Then configure the two Pi4s for your home WiFi. Put the Pi's in-situ, hook-up power, and the USB to your DAC.  The pi connected to the DAC needs to have Squeezelite turned on, and the other Pi needs LMS.

If all of this is mumbo-jumbo to you then please do not stress yourself out and start this.

----------------------

I will elaborate more when I have some time.  Off to work!

Bob

OH with different software you might just do interent only streaming with only one Pi.  The software has to support the right protocols.  Not a lot different from starting with a commercial solution.  

I am always looking for something that sounds better too. I have just found a nice little niche that sounds great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a couple of changes to the system that have helped my sound quality a bit.  Some more detail here, a bit tighter bass, just a bit more control.

Of course, there is always a bit of story!  I closed my Audio Sales business and have been winding things down from that.  I changed from Comcast Business to Xfinity Home and, wait for it, I am now using their Xfi router and generation 2 Mesh devices.  I have been locating the main router in my Living Room for proper placement in the home.  Yes, I am renting a router, but that is $5 cheaper a month than paying for Unlimited Bandwidth!

With the Wi-Fi 6  router within 12 feet of the stereo I moved both the LMS Server and the Endpoint onto Wi-Fi.  I was surprised with the sound quality improvements.  About two weeks in, there have been no observed network issues.

The second change I made was an oversight on my part.  I had not turned off cross-feed and volume controls in LMS for the system.  And yes, it has improved SQ a bit. 

What is next?

I have a Pi2AES on order, and I am still on a power supply quest.  This week I have my two Allo Shanti supplies running things.  I am going to swap a Farad 3 around this weekend.  I am studying 24v supplies for the Pi2AES, so this will take a while yet.

And finally, there is the great AES cable hunt.  I listened to a Valhalla 2 this past week, and it did nice things, so I will keep looking.  Maybe try BlueJeansCable?  Moon Audio?  Any suggestions welcome are welcome.

9 hours ago, bbosler said:

please don't throw things at me,  in my experience properly constructed digital cables do not affect sound quality. Geistnote makes high quality , professional grade cables found in many high end studios. They are properly constructed, well, built , and reasonably priced. 

https://geistnote.com/cable-assemblies/digital/110-aes-ebu-xlr/

feel free to trash me but I do not care to debate the topic

Next time you are in the Chicago area ping me.  I would love to demonstrate some things to you.  Many Things!!  @Kal Rubinson You are also invited.

And thank you for the link to Geistnote.  I will check them out.

24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

i suggest the next step should be to connect the Pi to a wi-fi access point (wi-fi to ethernet bridge). This will preserve the perfect galvanic isolation of wi-fi, and shutting off the digitally noisy wi-fi radio in the Pi will improve sound quality. 

Interesting idea.  But you have to power that device and connect it to the Pi.  Does that not introduce other problems, and noise?  You have to power the AP, the Ethernet cables will pick up noise???  So many things to think about. 

I have two Pi4's in the design LMS/Squeezelite.  

I will think about how to try this...

I get the short cables, etc.

Streamer -->>short cable -->> Something that does Ethernet to Wi-Fi -->> rest of the world via Wi-Fi.

I have done a dozen variants of the above over the last three years.  Much testing with 

Right now, my system looks like this:

Streamer -->> Wi-Fi

Server -->> Wi-Fi

Both devices are Raspberry Pi4's running PiCorePlayer OS.

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

I don't quite understand your shorthand, but here's what how my systems are set up:

Router -> Wi-fi to extender -> ethernet cable to network player

The wi-fi extender is configured to receive wi-fi, but does not broadcast wi-fi. Wi-fi reception is turned off in my network players. (Network players in my systems are Chromecast Audio, Raspberry Pi3B+, SOtM sMS-200, and exaSound Playpoint.) 

I understand what you are doing.  You are using a Wi-Fi to ethernet bridge sometimes called an extender.    

I would be interested in trying one of those.  What brand and model are you using?

I am now just using Wi-Fi from my router.  I had been using ethernet and Optical ethernet to the network closet in he basement.

bob

December Update!

IMG_1594.thumb.jpeg.2b4ad56e97a3abb1e80c2211aa9407ff.jpeg

I purchased a Pi2AES and accessories from a fellow Audiophile and after testing it with the Pi3 he had it running on I moved it over to my Pi4 and PiCorePlayer.  The Farad3 is running the LMS Server and the LHY Audio is powering the Pi4 Running Squeezelite.  I got a 120 mm ULN  Nactua fan on the gear to keep things cool.  The Pi2AES replaces the Mutec MC-3 and the associated LUSH3 USB cable.

I still need two power supplies, but one less AC power cord with the removal of the MC-3.

I am VERY pleased with how things sound.    More discussion later after things settle in.  Since the initial setup, the following changes have helped the sound quality.

1. The custom version of Squeezelite.

2. Turning off the volume control in LMS

3.  Power supply upgrades on LMS

4.  Moving both devices to Wi-Fi

5.  Pi2AES HAT

Thinks I am thinking about:

1. "Better" and Shorter AES cable.

2. Further Power supply changes  Ferrum HYPSOS, PliXir, Sean Jacobs DC-3?  I like the idea of variable voltage for the Pi2AES

3. An upgraded power cord for the LMS Pi.

I have had some folks suggest that I try using an Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge.  I am also looking for some sort of case to put this all in.

RJF

Progress!