IGNORED

Article: Review | Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC and Gaia D to D Converter

25 minutes ago, bbosler said:

what do you mean by "doing 768K" ?

what inputs and outputs?

it does say it accepts  768K  via USB, but are you getting 768 out?

Yes, 768k in and 768k out (dac shows sample rate) 

The gaia doesn't do sample rate conversion

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

On 10/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, Rexp said:

And yet you are advocating using two Raspberry pi's in another thread so I'm guessing you do think the music server is also important. Would the pi server plus Pontus beat a mac mini plus T+ for instance? Thanks! 

I’m not so sure that I would go so far as to say that I was “advocating” the Raspberry Pi solution, but I did try it with an SPDIF coax/Toslink output daughter board. It worked fine for one listening session, and then It died. I have never been able to get it to work again since. That is when I acquired the Auralic Mini. Believe me, I would have preferred to not have to make THAT expenditure! The Raspberry solution looked like an adequate server (but it REALLY needs the daughter board output module, as the Raspberry’s USB output is less than audiophile quality). It certainly was inexpensive enough, and the iPad/iPhone application allowed me to stream from both Tidal and my ripped library on my Desktop computer. Too bad it proved to be so “fragile”.

To answer your question, the server doesn’t seem to matter much. I noticed no SQ differences between the Raspberry Pi server, the Auralic Mni, and a US$6000 Lumin U1. All of the differences seemed to be down to features, software quality, and “bling”.

There is quite a difference between Pontus and the T+ as far as sound is concerned. The Pontus II is good the T+/Gaia sound is more akin to A dCS “Vivaldi” than it is to a Pontus.

regards

George

George

On 10/30/2021 at 9:20 PM, OldBigEars said:

I'm afraid the author's assessment of the Topping D90 is throwing me off.  I bought and lived with this DAC for a month and tried every possible configuration, including the highly recommended DSD 256.  Personally...I really didn't enjoy it at all.  Yes I can agree that it extracted an etched kind of hyper-detail, but I never found it made coherent sense of the music.  I wanted to love this $699 DAC as it would have saved me a lot of money.  But I sent it back and haven't missed it for a moment. I replaced it with a Chord Qutest, which I enjoy orders of magnitude more than the Topping. I recall that this writer expressed his preference for the Pontus over the Chord. Which only goes to prove how subjective and system-dependent this whole hobby is.

That is interesting. I had the use of a Chord Hugo 2 for a while and thought it to be wonderful, but I had no need for the headphone interface or portability of the battery power that it afforded. When the Qutest came out claiming to be the same digital circuitry as the Hugo 2, for about a thousand dollars less, I jumped on it. But, no matter what I did, I could not get the Qutest to sound anywhere near as good as the Hugo 2. So I sent it back after reviewing it!

The original Topping D90 (not the current one) sounded (to my ears) so much better than the Pontus II, that I sold the latter. When I received the T+/Gaia, I was literally flabbergasted and ended up buying it. I will guarantee that the Topping D90 is head and shoulders above the Qutest; at least it is in MY system.

So you are right, SQ is largely subjective. But, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that synergy between the various components in a system makes the difference between a particular component being gold to one listener and dross to another. Also, I believe that one’s taste in music, as well as one’s expectations has a lot to do with one’s likes and dislikes, sound wise. For instance, I hear a lot of live acoustic music (classical and jazz almost exclusively) and rock/electric guitars, essentially, never. I want my reproduction to sound like live, acoustic music, playing in a real space. Somebody who listens to studio-made rock music will likely prefer a totally different type of sound. My experience is that most rockers I’ve known go for a sound that enhances the excitement of a rock performance; ie, bright, aggressive highs and big bass. Play classical music through such a system, and frankly, to my ears, it sounds awful. Are the rocker’s wrong? Absolutely not. They are seeking one type of musical experience, while I’m seeking another. We are both right in our respective pursuits, but that pursuit will yield wildly different opinions about what constitutes “high fidelity”.

regards,

George

George

50 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

That is interesting. I had the use of a Chord Hugo 2 for a while and thought it to be wonderful, but I had no need for the headphone interface or portability of the battery power that it afforded. When the Qutest came out claiming to be the same digital circuitry as the Hugo 2, for about a thousand dollars less, I jumped on it. But, no matter what I did, I could not get the Qutest to sound anywhere near as good as the Hugo 2. So I sent it back after reviewing it!

The original Topping D90 (not the current one) sounded (to my ears) so much better than the Pontus II, that I sold the latter. When I received the T+/Gaia, I was literally flabbergasted and ended up buying it. I will guarantee that the Topping D90 is head and shoulders above the Qutest; at least it is in MY system.

So you are right, SQ is largely subjective. But, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that synergy between the various components in a system makes the difference between a particular component being gold to one listener and dross to another. Also, I believe that one’s taste in music, as well as one’s expectations has a lot to do with one’s likes and dislikes, sound wise. For instance, I hear a lot of live acoustic music (classical and jazz almost exclusively) and rock/electric guitars, essentially, never. I want my reproduction to sound like live, acoustic music, playing in a real space. Somebody who listens to studio-made rock music will likely prefer a totally different type of sound. My experience is that most rockers I’ve known go for a sound that enhances the excitement of a rock performance; ie, bright, aggressive highs and big bass. Play classical music through such a system, and frankly, to my ears, it sounds awful. Are the rocker’s wrong? Absolutely not. They are seeking one type of musical experience, while I’m seeking another. We are both right in our respective pursuits, but that pursuit will yield wildly different opinions about what constitutes “high fidelity”.

regards,

George

Personally I go for the device that least aggravates my tinnitus 😄

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 11/2/2021 at 10:02 PM, gmgraves said:

regards,

George

For the record, the core of my listening is 'modern jazz, blues, soul'.  I frequently listen to acoustic artists and occasionally I'll dig out some classic 70's rock.  On rare occasions, some classical too. My system loves the former genre as well as anything acoustic. It's probably not optimal for hard rock.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

• 3 months later...