IGNORED

Mac Mini pretty much dead as a Streamer?

I've been running a 2012 mac mini using Audirvana thru a Micorendu to my Chord DAC for like 8 years. The system has worked well for the most part except for occasionally having to reboot the Mac Mini and Microrendu at times.

I've been reading rave reviews for a few years now about how good these dedicated streamers have become from the likes of Auralic, Aurender. etc...

I'm thinking of retiring from the Mini and adding one of these streamers in its place. I would eliminate the Mac Mini, Microrendu and Linear PS for the Rendu. Less clutter and maybe better performance now since these streamers have matured?

I would love to hear your opinion on this.

Sonictransport  i9, DCS Bartok Apex DAC/Streamer

REL Acoustics S/510 Sub Woofer

Audionet Watt Integrated Amp - Vivid Audio Kaya 45 loudspeakers

I started with a Mac Mini (probably a 2012!), and switched to a Naim Uniti Core--better performance, plus so much easier, more robust, less mental clutter.  I think if someone's just starting out and has a PC available, that's a great economical entry.  But once you're committed, the PC needs so much decrapification that it's a false economy.  Much better to go with Auralic, Aurender, Naim...Good luck!

I still have a 2011 Mac mini with a dual core i5 that I put Ubuntu on and it runs HQPlayer up to 24/192 without breaking a sweat. With my house ~70 degrees F it hovers around 60C. More upsampling puts enough stress on it that it gets considerably warmer, likely to the point of throttling, but the Yggy it's sending music to only goes up to 24/192 anyway.

No electron left behind.

@al210 I would not say that the commercial servers have matured, they are in constant flux.  Some for the better and some for the worse!

I just saw this thread and I have some things to say, but it is late here.  I have a 2014 Mac Mini with Audirvanna Studio I sometimes use as a server. Getting UPnP working has been a problem for me.

I have chosen another route for my day-in-day-out music system.  It is two Raspberry Pi's one as a server and the other as an endpoint.  I will write up more tomorrow.

Check out PiCorePlayer!

Looks like your cat is not welcoming you to what he now must consider his former fortress of solitude.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates