IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

51 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I don't think this is true at all. But to support your point, no feature requests of mine or any other I have seen on the Roon forums, have ever made it into Roon. Ever. And my requests are both quite popular and relatively easy to implement.

My subscription just lapsed and, of course, Roon wanted to know why, saying they make a point of listening to the customers.  Normally, I would take that bait and provide my reasoning, but I won't in this case.   Room hasn't listened before and, in fact, responded with, "no thanks," when I have made several suggestions, including a couple that would be insanely uncontroversial and easy to accommodate.

Roon calls itself opinionated about how to design and implement software. It is successful and beloved these days, so those instincts are good. For every guy like me who thinks the interface and metadata are garbage, there are a few hundred thousand who think it is underpriced. So, while I have opinions myself, Roon doesn't need another opportunity to ignore them.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Still loving Roon here. Easily the best user experience I know of and the SQ is as good as any I’ve tried. yes, I’ve tried HQPlayer albeit a few years ago. My room, my gear, my ears. IME, computer-side changes make little difference in SQ (but not zero difference).

I did recently have an issue where Roon would crash streaming 24-bit Qobuz files. It took several weeks waiting but the latest version solved the problem.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, the only complaint about Roon that I did not have was SQ. In fact, that was the only reason I subscribed.  I  haven't tried HQP, and only listened to Roon with upsampling enabled, but I always found the sound full-bodied and engaging.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

16 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

In my case, yes very much so. It's all running on the same hardware as Roon was and it works and sounds much better.

Like Jud, my setup streams to a Rendu device over ethernet.  It's the Rendu, not my NUC, that is connected to the DAC. 

I gave up my Roon subscription and now am using both JRiver and Audirvana Studio as control applications.

This might be a dumb question, but to synthesize what's above in this thread, do I need HQP to use Euphony as a source with NAA?  I assume so, and that, if I don't want to use HQP, I need a server that runs on Linux like MinimServer or Bubble Server.

Is that a proper understanding of what's been said previously in this thread?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, rn701 said:

Yes, absurd. Disclaimer: I'm the one that got banned for "trying to damage the forum." Sad that the COO has time to spend on the social media potential for their "community" instead of fixing bugs.

We learned in this new forum thread that Danny id a knife enthusiast and that he has learned a great deal about coffee from the coffee thread in the “off-topic” forum.  Priorities, m701!

1 minute ago, Miska said:

I would claim that the modulators in HQPlayer that you don't count in as "higher quality modulators" are still better quality than most other modulators you can find out there... For example ASDM5 and ASDM7 are already very good ones and don't take horribly lot of CPU power either. Although still heavier than some simpler ones out there.

Agreed. Which is why I almost certainly will buy a license once I find an ideal setting that sounds great but without dropouts.

The problem for me is psychological: I can hear differences with the EC modulators that make me ask myself, “Do I really want to buy yet another computer just for this application?”  Because, until I do that, I will always be aware that my system isn’t sounding as good as I already have heard it sound with the EC modulators. 😢

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder where this “expert help before and after you buy” is going to come from

https://store.roonlabs.com

A2C2B04C-58DD-45D7-A922-86D38C664ED9.png

Essentially one Bluetooth speaker line that doesn’t play native DDS and two hyperexpensive speaker lines that disabuse no one of the idea that Roon is more a “lifestyle”and less of either a music lover’s or audiophile’s product.

not that there’s anything wrong with lifestyle products, but my bet is that not too many visitors to this particular forum are the target demographic forum that store.

57 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't think Roon endeavors to be anything more than a lifestyle software, so that's not surprising to me.

My reference was intended to be to DSD and “for that store.”  Clearly, autocorrection hates me.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well, the search has changed a lot since then. So your criticism isn’t correct. 

After 6 months away, I decided to try Roon again on the Black Friday special.  At least 50% of my classical music and non-US or independent label jazz remains misidentified or unidentified by Roon.  I can't see that anything has changed recently in that department.  So your criticism isn't correct. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jvvita said:

Hello, a bit off-topic here. I would love to get to know performances and recordings "off Broadway". Is there any place where you share your main findings, especially in jazz?

I haven't published to the world anything other than a couple of JRiver Cloudplay and Spotify "beginner" playlists for younger friends just getting into jazz, but, if you wish to private message me, I can give you some targeted recommendations. 

• 4 months later...
40 minutes ago, Mauidj7 said:

Suggestions for a robust and great sounding replacement please.

The usual suspects:  HQPlayer Desktop or Embedded sound great. Not nuts about the library management clients and they can be finicky and fiddly as hell, but sound quality definitely is the thing with them. 

JRiver is robust as can be (except when playing into HQPlayer Embedded, which may be the cause of the problem), and I like its sound, especially without DSP.  

Audirvāna Studio also sounds pretty amazing, but the interface is…. eccentric.  It is the Citroen or Peugeot of music players.   I haven’t had the reliability issues that others have, but it’s often annoying to use nonetheless.

If you use a dedicated server, Volumio is really solid.  It’s reliable, although it is slow to do a library scan, and it sounds lovely, but it isn’t really positioned as a DSP platform, if that is important to you.

Logitech Media Server is OG, but I keep it around as a backstop for when my network isn’t playing nicely with the more modern apps.  There are many times when it’s the only software that can get my network to play music after power failures or device software upgrades that require reboots.  I also am happy with its sound quality, although it also isn’t really sold as a DSP platform.

Of course, none of these provides the integrated allmusic.com experience and dubious copyright status photo experience that Roon does, but those only are useful to people whose music is covered by allmusic.com and that Roon actually can identify accurately. 

• 7 months later...
5 minutes ago, steveoat said:

How did you set up HQ Player embedded?  Is it on a dedicated machine?  Did you use HQP embedded OS?  The reason I am asking this is that I am building a new computer whose main purpose is to run HQ Player and am looking for an easy way to install HQ Player embedded.

You may not need to install HQPlayer Embedded at all. I have gone back to running HQPlayer Embedded OS off a USB stick on a NUC. Simple, no installation required, and the pc's main nvme ssd retains a Windows installation if I need to have access to one. 

1 hour ago, steveoat said:

And all of the functionality is usable?  (Wrong quote-- I am referring to Mike Rubin's quote regarding HQ Player embedded).

Everything that I use, anyway. I haven't tried Desktop with CUDA on a NUC, but I can't imagine that Intel graphics would accommodate code intended for NVIDIA hardware.  If that is important, add Embedded to a standard Linux install and get an NVIDIA card into your build.