IGNORED

Simple streamer for my setup - Wireless / Tidal / USB for DAC

Good day dear fellow audio lovers,

I am looking for a streamer to complete my setup.

I use Tidal as my only source.

I already have a DAC (SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII - usb/optical/coaxial) that runs straight to my powered speakers (Neumann KH120A).

I want to add a wireless streamer that is compatible with Tidal that will feed the DAC.

An important restriction: I do not want to build / install anything myself, so a Raspberry Pi or similar is not my cup of tea.

Plug and Play please!
Any ideas?

You’re using Roon ? I think not. 

Your phone is the controller ?

So you need some sort of WiFi connect ?

(Tidal connect)

Even an old Squeezebox Touch does a nice job. 
Or Chromecast Audio

Any budget in mind ?

I suppose the Rendu’s isn’t an option?

26 minutes ago, plissken said:

Why no one is mentioning what is the most ubiquitous Tidal Connect end point is beyond me:

Raspberry Pi4 running Volumio

Thank you @plissken, perhaps that's because I specifically said I don't want one :)

"An important restriction: I do not want to build / install anything myself, so a Raspberry Pi or similar is not my cup of tea."

33 minutes ago, joachimbrackx said:

Thank you @plissken, perhaps that's because I specifically said I don't want one :)

"An important restriction: I do not want to build / install anything myself, so a Raspberry Pi or similar is not my cup of tea."

You don't have to build your own though. You can get them prebuilt.

8 hours ago, joachimbrackx said:

But you still have to install the software, right? Or are they fully plug and play?
And where can you buy those @plissken?

As already pointed out direct from Volumio. Audiophonics also sells a pre-built solution.  If you where local I would offer to simply put one together for you. Takes less than 30 minutes from unboxing to using either Etcher or Rufus to write the image to micro-sd.

11 minutes ago, plissken said:

As already pointed out direct from Volumio. Audiophonics also sells a pre-built solution.  If you where local I would offer to simply put one together for you. Takes less than 30 minutes from unboxing to using either Etcher or Rufus to write the image to micro-sd.

Are there any simple and straightforward ways to use a mac mini with Volumio directly on the streamer?

30 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I didn't understand a thing. Where to start?

Sorry. Can you reword or expand on what your ask is? Volumio runs a web server that resides on your local network. I normally go into what ever is running my DHCP services and look for the MAC address to IP binding. MAC address is the burned in 48 bit (base 16 numbering 0-F) of the Volumio box and the corresponding IP address. Then you point your web browser to that IP address. The MAC, with a decent vendor, should be printed on a label on the box.

Here is an example from my L3 switch. Your Firewall/Router should have an equivalent Web/Gui version. Let me know if this is what you are asking about.

(GSM7352Sv2) #show ip dhcp binding

IP address         Hardware Address     Lease Expiration     Type
-----------        -----------------    -----------------    -----
10.0.40.2          40:a2:db:b7:55:b1    49:21:58             Automatic
10.0.40.3          34:e1:2d:32:19:4b    43:00:03             Automatic
10.0.10.1          e4:c3:2a:e5:c5:26    43:00:03             Automatic

1 hour ago, plissken said:

That's so sweet! Thank you @plissken, I greatly appreciate the gesture :)

19 hours ago, plissken said:

Why no one is mentioning what is the most ubiquitous Tidal Connect end point is beyond me:

Raspberry Pi4 running Volumio

I don't think Volumio is the best solution for Tidal. Seems needlessly constrained because they want you to buy into the My Volumio subscription service. 

https://www.audfree.com/tidal/tidal-on-volumio.html

With an SOtM sMS-200 for example, all one needs to do is to sign into Tidal in the operating system, no middle man, contortions or middle man required.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

13 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

With an SOtM sMS-200 for example, all one needs to do is to sign into Tidal in the operating system

True!

anyway should you decide to go with Volumio Primo (their “turn key” solution) you could buy Volumio Primo HiFi Edition which integrates the lifetime license for MyVolumio Superstar Lifetime Plan

https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/

Stefano

My audio system

24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I don't think Volumio is the best solution for Tidal. Seems needlessly constrained because they want you to buy into the My Volumio subscription service. 

https://www.audfree.com/tidal/tidal-on-volumio.html

The buy in doesn't even extend to decoding MQA to the MQA Core signal ('first unfold') - Volumio isn't licensed to use TIDAL Connect's optional built-in MQA decoder.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox