IGNORED

Investigation Into Effects Of PC load On DAC Analogue Output

Just for info here is some info on galvanic isolation from Mathias Carstens who is the founder of RME.

Hello Mr. Stämmler,

the isolator arrived this morning. I tested it right away:

- It’s fully compatible with all RME USB interfaces, regardless of whether they’re working in interrupt or isochronous modes. The test was carried out with the maximum channel count. Also, I've flashed the device with a new firmware via USB. No problem at all.

- The power supplied to the device end is surprisingly high. Our bus-powered interfaces Babyface and Babyface Pro overload the isolator anyway, so you’ll have to work with it there on an external power supply. This was to be expected, because at 550 and 800 mA we’re drawing considerably more power than originally planned of course.

- The isolator does exactly what I had hoped it would: it eliminates all problems arising via USB during unbalanced test setup.

I’ve attached two screenshots for you. Two USB audio interfaces were connected to a notebook here (one wasn’t from RME). On one device the analysis software emitted a test signal (1 kHz sine wave), on the other device it was analyzed at the input. The analog connection Out to In is unbalanced. Once with the isolator, once without.

I’ll share this information and the images with you. So if you want to show somewhere that RME has found the isolator to be fully compatible, or want to use the measurements on the website or as visual aids in your presentations, then you’re welcome to do so free of charge.

Best regards,

Matthias Carstens

RME

Unbal_DA-AD_2_x_USB_same_computer.png

Unbal_DA-AD_2_x_USB_same_computer_Intona.png

More data.  Same PC and ADC.  This time a Gustard X16 DAC driven from Roon with WASAPI through XLR outputs.

No PC load.  Note a very small amount of mains pick up at 50Hz, 150Hz and 250Hz.  From the weight this DAC has a linear psu internally with a transformer.  Probably from that.

image.thumb.png.0a48403bd3656fe0d936d6867b35595a.png

With PC loaded.

image.thumb.png.4db7e33ee0274d21d505a2cb8b7d1649.png

No significant difference.

I will perform the Deltawave check on this DAC tomorrow.  I can also try the DACs RCA single ended output.

6 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

The whole thing? If you mean the whole 2 page thread, I did. And other DAC threads too. Did you? Amir made assumptions: he didn't locate the noise source; he read the brochure which said "isolated", but not "galvanically isolated", so he assumed it was defective. It may be, but I don't accept that type of assumption without evidence.

There is a common technique of stating that all "competent" or "properly-designed" DACs behave [the way you say - whatever you want], with the convenient response to any counterexample as being "broken" or "defective". You're guaranteed to always be right, since you made the definitions.
There was a $1000 bet on another site (not the recent one on ASR), where the person proposing the bet would allow the I-can-hear-a-difference claimant to pick any 2 "competent" DACs. He warned of DACs that were deliberately or unintentionally "defective". He said pick any 2 that had been tested with SINADs over "say... 100dB". I noticed that of the many DACs that Amir had tested, the median was about 100. So by the challenger's admittedly random cutoff, nearly half the DACs tested were defective. You didn't make that bet, but I wonder how useful a term like "defective" is if it applies to too many examples. The rule-of-thumb that's intended to use it may be weak, maybe a rule-of-pinkie.

The fact is that a "defective" DAC may function well with a low-noise PC, as will a "competent" DAC with a noisy, but within spec, PC. What about PCs that are nearly in spec, but not quite (noise on USB lines slightly too high)?

@March Audio has shown that his PC with (now 2) DACs performs certain tests well. Great, and I appreciate his effort. My concern is that if the goal is to convince members who "hear a difference" in whatever (don't think the motivating threads were simply about DACs), or to convince them they have defective hardware, this method may not work. And there are better, more efficient, methods. @firedog do you think this can convince the target group? I don't think convincing people who are already convinced was the goal. I do not wish to dissuade @March Audio from continuing... so I'll probably continue with the issue of convincing skeptical people in another thread.

The goal is to objectively investigate and show what's actually going on as opposed to just guessing.  You wont convince believers with entrenched views of anything, I have no illusions about that.  However there are still plenty of people our there who will be interested in the investigation.

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Since I can't measure myself the differences which can easily be heard by all those who are open to it, including myself, I don't care much.

All those who are not open to this and (think they can) measure, obviously won't see any "significant" difference.

And the definition of "significant' is indeed ...

You haven't actually demonstrated using controlled techniques that people can hear a difference.

Later I intend to perform controlled listening tests.

3 hours ago, semente said:

Since these measurements don’t show the effects of “PC load”, which other measurements could be performed?

Peter has already suggested multi-tone IMD. Anything else?

Multitone is no problem to try.  Will do later.  However I can tell you now that it won't make any difference.  IMD is directly related to THD.  If the PC load is having no effect on thd (as already seen), it won't effect IMD.

I'm happy to field other suggestions for tests.

40 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Turns out that it's quite easy to see differences in the waveform, where it counts, which is the sound waves in the room -  @manisandher recorded what was happening when he altered settings of Peter's player; which had clearly audible variation, and this was quite distinct in the recordings when examined with DeltaWave. We were promised a more thorough version of this exercise, to overcome those who went into a mad thrash about microphone technique and everything else they could think of - but this has not eventuated.

Interesting how all investigations into things like this either bog down, or die a slow death - an instinctive reluctance not to rock the boat too much, perhaps ... ?

As discussed elsewhere recording with a microphone in a room is hopelessly insensitive and will pick up all sorts of irrelevant random background noise.

With all respect to Mani, unfortuntely Its a hopelessly flawed method.  Of course you will see differences in the waveform.  However these differences will have nothing to do with the PC or audio system.

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Since I can't measure myself the differences which can easily be heard by all those who are open to it, including myself, I don't care much.

All those who are not open to this and (think they can) measure, obviously won't see any "significant" difference.

And the definition of "significant' is indeed ...

I'm open, however I am looking for evidence. Otherwise it is just faith.

Significant?  Well my definition of insignificant is when you can't see any changes at -180dBFS.

6 hours ago, idiot_savant said:

@SoundAndMotion there seems to be a bit of crossed purposes here. I myself have said on a forum, you’re unlikely to “convert” people who are entrenched, but if you let some of the more outrageous claims go unchallenged, people who are maybe unconvinced need a bit of a sensible voice to help a bit of balance?

I think the point @March Audio is trying to make *isn’t* that all PC’s with all DACs are perfect, but that with a bit of care, you don’t need a PC encased in unobtanium to get really good performance. 

As for specs, most well-engineered stuff tends to have a margin of error built in, and good engineering in one place *can* indicate overall good engineering, whereas bad engineering in one area tends to indicate a trend

your friendly neighbourhood idiot 

This is the point.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

First of all, the background noise can be made to be relatively consistent - to test this, merely record the same playback, with no changes, several times to establish the consistency of the recording space.

Secondly, what you are looking are patterns in the waveform which consistently register as being different at certain points in the music - say, a treble crescendo, or transient. These are the "tells" that one's ears are sensitive to, and which are meaningful.

No it can't Frank.  Also before you argue, you have no basis to judge.  You have never analysed any acoustic noise so have no idea about it.

Background noise in your listening room will probably be around 30dB on a quiet day and quite variable.  This will mask subtle differences.

The tests I have performed are looking far, far below the threshold of audibility.

11 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Maybe you or others have better ideas, but I don't think that watching the multitones themselves would bring anything (well, as we saw). So the - or my idea would be that the multitones would be the stimulus and that with other means other data is observed. Thus for example, give it those tones (the more the better) and observe possible jitter influence. I did such things myself with normal music

image.png.bad3fe9e27e88c3cb0dd16e764594342.png

vs

image.png.0ef1dcebb30d90fd537058a12100d418.png

... when jitter was high enough so I could still do these things (today it is way under the measurable level for me).

This is only about the volume of music and how a higher level (2nd shot) implies more random jitter than low level or even idle (1st).

But see ? while this is uncontrollable music, multitones would be controllable (repeated tests with various environmental parameters like you attempt here).

There is no way this is really simple, because it will require measuring clock data so (analog) system noise is avoided. And, people may see me write for the xth time that by now 3 years or so ago, I had applied measuring wires to certain in-DAC chips so I could measure USB influence (this originated in the original Lush thread), but the analyser I bought for the purpose is still unpacked (yes, I am serious).  Those wires still stick out in there. Read: so much prep time this takes, including the learning what actually to look at - how to ground the probes and so much more.

And so I will repeat:  the effort you put into this, is much appreciated and I would hope something comes from it. But it won't go easy IMHO.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Can you explain what "other data"?  Happy to look into things

Measuring jitter does not require measuring clock data.  In fact by trying to you will probably introduce additional jitter. You just need to look at the dac output signal.  Thats the only thing we are interested in and if there is jitter in the clock it will be quite apparent there.  The clock timing variations directly translate into sidebands on the test tone.  Close in phase noise appears more like a widening of the tone base.

image.thumb.png.8ce05a1b9a27ed78444cf1cbdfc9a72a.png