IGNORED

Unpopular opinion... I don't think Eric Clapton is very great.

27 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

My mother knew Louis Armstrong. I only found out about this after she died. My mother worked as a bookkeeper at some of NYs Jazz spots and ultimately the Copa. Unbeknownst to me, he was partially raised by a Jewish guy in NO who spoke Yiddish and became fluent in Yiddish and would speak to my mother in Yiddish. Unfortunately my mother has passed and there is only one cousin I have that has an information on my mom's crazy past and her Jazz love which I never knew.

And the reason he wore, I believe, a star of David pendant his whole life.

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

ECT can actually be remarkably effective, especially for schizophrenia with catatonia or severe major depression.

I had an attending, cool old dude, who told us that should he develop severe MD that he wanted ECT rather than meds.  He referred it (analogously to cardiac "shocking" or cardioversion) as "cerebroversion." :).

We used to administer it to patients in the county hospital (I did it as a medical student!  Ahhh...the good old days).

I wonder if some of the horror stories (and subsequent lay people negative perception) is from the persistent disorganized thinking that is one of the hallmarks of schizophrenia.

Also, in the old days it was done bilaterally (both brain hemispheres) and is now done unilaterally, this perhaps mitigating some of the downsides.

Just some thoughts for consideration. :)

Bill

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

10 hours ago, RHSims said:

Coltrane should never have played soprano sax

I know this isn't necessarily your position, but oh my, that would have been a huge loss to me.

Bill

22 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Roky Erickson of the 13th Floor Elevators was sentenced to a mental hospital for drug possession.  There, he received quite a bit of ElectroConvulsive Therapy, and a lot of Thorazine.  It destroyed his mind.

Just watch the documentary You're Gonna Miss Me if you're curious to see the results of ECT.  I think the only people advocating ECT are ones that have never received it.

I don't want to be argumentative, and it may be too far off topic, but I note that from a scientific perspective you are citing anecdotes and these can be strongly affected by mistaking/erroneously ascribing a relationship between cause and effect.

And I have seen many patients who have undergone ECT and think it was very valuable, so I don't think your last statement is accurate.  Not to mention young catatonic schizophrenics I have seen whose only activity was wiping their feces on the wall who "woke up" and did well, truly disease changing.

Bill

13 minutes ago, Allan F said:

An insightful reply with substance. 😊

And wrong.  Though of course it is fine if he feels that way.  :)

Bill

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

I find John Coltrane way, way overrated.

50 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Technically, it's not "wrong", as Davis simply provided advice to address the reason that Coltrane offered. 😊

I was responding to the first.  The second is definitely a true story! :)

Bill

4 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Like I said, those advocating the treatment have never received it...

You need to read more closely.  As I wrote, I know people who have had it that DO advocate it:

"And I have seen many patients who have undergone ECT and think it was very valuable"

Knowing you a bit, I suspect you have some chops, but if God was to reach down and bless me with his I don't think I would complain....

Bill

Wow @charlesphoto, you nailed that one.  And the cigarette smoke.  I didn't notice it/the hand at first, but once I did it capped it off.  Bravo.  It is such a "sophisticated" (or something!) hand (she is not quite as close to needing to reapply her nail-polish as I suspect many women in the crowd were :) ), and I actually find it fairly pretty (and wonder about who it is attached to...).

In his worn Converse's he certainly looks less sophisticated.  The juxtaposition is striking.  That hand belongs in one of my Herman Leonard's!

Hell, forgive me if my observations suck.  I am comfortable talking about musical art but apprehensive with the visual, especially with the artist!

Bill

Great post @bluesman.  I consider it authoritative, perhaps definitive on this topic.  Thread over after bluesman enters late then drops the mic! :)

I can hear Robert Cray's compositional style in "Old Love."  Great tune.  I really like the version on Unplugged as well.

Like him, love him, or not, I believe his music commands respect

Bill

Re. TVBO my gut feeling is not to include things re. artist behavior.  I'd prefer it to be simply about the music/art.  I suspect many of us know the backstories, could research it if we don't, and as you alluded to, there is much we don't know about many others.  All of us have our failings (not excusing the egregious ones, of course).

Bill

2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

It wasn't clear to me that you have undergone ECT and are advocating it.  My apologies.

Huh??

2 minutes ago, Allan F said:

I guess he just "needs to read more closely". 😊

Yes, I suppose so.  I was a little perplexed by the response, truthfully.

Thanks,

Bill