IGNORED

Okto DAC8 Stereo Processor reviewed and measured

Thanks Stefano -  Do not understand what the HQP NAA is exactly, HQP installed on another computer that is linked to the router?  I have no plans to share music outside of my dedicated music room at this point.  Understand that folks who can put up with multiple boxes ( 2 PCs, D to D converters, multiple power supplies...) experience better sonics when HQP is on one computer and second computer takes processed files and "feeds" them to the DAC.  

I prefer simpler solutions: Mac to DAC with LPS (Mytek B+), to amp to speakers. Current Mini is a Quad Core 2012 version, so I have been thinking about the new M1 or better Mini and the Okto as upgrades.

Tone with Soul

3 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Do not understand what the HQP NAA is exactly

NAA is a Network Audio Adapter for HQPlayer, call it an endpoint, ie something like a raspberry connected to the network (better if wired) to which you can connect your dac.

Speaking of the Okto it could be dac and NAA at the same time.

NAA is useful to have HQP running on a pc/Mac in another room (sometimes a pc/Mac running HQP can be too noisy to stay in the same room of your system).

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

NAA is a Network Audio Adapter for HQPlayer, call it an endpoint, ie something like a raspberry connected to the network (better if wired) to which you can connect your dac.

Speaking of the Okto it could be dac and NAA at the same time.

NAA is useful to have HQP running on a pc/Mac in another room (sometimes a pc/Mac running HQP can be too noisy to stay in the same room of your system).

This was what I was going to suggest if someone wants to use the Okto as an HQP endpoint. The installed Pi accepts any micro SD that one can throw at it, including the NAA OS from HQPlayer or RoPieee XL.  If I didn't already have a rendu that's better than a Pi, that's how I would run mine. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I have confirmed that a Pi using Ropieee XL works really well as an HQPlayer renderer when installed in an Okto DAC.  I received my DAC yesterday, the day after my Rendu went on the fritz, so I installed a spare Pi4 that I had.  Installation was easy enough (although a stripped screw made removal of the top more difficult than it needed to be), setting up the Pi as an NAA renderer took just a few minutes, and I was up and running pretty quickly.  On first impression, the sound is pretty glorious.

I find it pretty astounding that the ASR guys insist, in effect if not explicitly, that two level-matched DACs should sound the same if they measure the same.  The Okto replaces the Topping D90, which I have been using in my main system for awhile, and it sounds quite different from it.  As lean as the Topping can be in my system, the Okto seems as lush, but the Okto seems woolier in the bass.  

I will be interested n seeing if there are changes due to break-in and if the Rendu improves things when it’s back in the system. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 1/13/2022 at 11:13 PM, Mike Rubin said:

FWIW, I have confirmed that a Pi using Ropieee XL works really well as an HQPlayer renderer when installed in an Okto DAC.  I received my DAC yesterday, the day after my Rendu went on the fritz, so I installed a spare Pi4 that I had.  Installation was easy enough (although a stripped screw made removal of the top more difficult than it needed to be), setting up the Pi as an NAA renderer took just a few minutes, and I was up and running pretty quickly.  On first impression, the sound is pretty glorious.

I find it pretty astounding that the ASR guys insist, in effect if not explicitly, that two level-matched DACs should sound the same if they measure the same.  The Okto replaces the Topping D90, which I have been using in my main system for awhile, and it sounds quite different from it.  As lean as the Topping can be in my system, the Okto seems as lush, but the Okto seems woolier in the bass.  

I will be interested n seeing if there are changes due to break-in and if the Rendu improves things when it’s back in the system. 

I got my dac8 stereo a few days ago too.

So far, I think it sounds best to me when sending everything to it at DSD256 (using HQPlayer).  An Allo USBridge Signature running GentooPlayer is being used as an endpoint (running HQPlayer NAA)...

I've only had it in a headphone system so far, so I haven't heard it with speakers yet.  But I am really liking it.

Would be really interested in anything you discover about it...

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 12:13 AM, Mike Rubin said:

Hi Mike, curious to know your impressions now that you've had some time with the Okto now? 

I am interested in this DAC I reached out to see how long the wait will be from Pavel, waiting to hear back. Seems like a good overall here with this DAC. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Speakers=SF Heritage/Amator

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

1 hour ago, skids929 said:

Hi Mike, curious to know your impressions now that you've had some time with the Okto now? 

I am interested in this DAC I reached out to see how long the wait will be from Pavel, waiting to hear back. Seems like a good overall here with this DAC. 

Skids, it takes a long time to break in and I don't listen an awful lot, so I think it still is coming into its own.

I like the DAC and it seems like good value for money, although it may be a bit 'threadbare" in the midrange compared to my old Wyred 4 Sound despite my initial impression that it was "lush."   The soundstage is huge.  High notes from shrill instruments like flutes and poorly-played-or-recorded violins are surprisingly listenable. I don't use the Pi as my primary source, but, when it isn't supply-constrained, it is a great, cheap backup source for when my sometimes temperamental Hqplayer isn't behaving or is unusable while taking forever with a library scan.

I can't imagine that anyone would dislike the DAC.  I just don't know how it compares to other things in its price range.

Unfortunately, though, my assessment isn't reliable because I did what you aren't supposed to do: make a bunch of system changes quickly, so it is difficult to pin down what affected what. I sold some LP's and went on a buying spree with the proceeds:  this DAC, an external clock for my etherregen, an LPS, and some new cables. 

With all that in place, my system never has sounded better, but, when the Okto went in first and had played a bit, my thought was that the midrange had gotten a bit recessed compared to what I had previously.  I don't think that characteristic has entirely gone away through the subsequent changes.

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Skids, it takes a long time to break in and I don't listen an awful lot, so I think it still is coming into its own.

I like the DAC and it seems like good value for money, although it may be a bit 'threadbare" in the midrange compared to my old Wyred 4 Sound despite my initial impression that it was "lush."   The soundstage is huge.  High notes from shrill instruments like flutes and poorly-played-or-recorded violins are surprisingly listenable. I don't use the Pi as my primary source, but, when it isn't supply-constrained, it is a great, cheap backup source for when my sometimes temperamental Hqplayer isn't behaving or is unusable while taking forever with a library scan.

I can't imagine that anyone would dislike the DAC.  I just don't know how it compares to other things in its price range.

Unfortunately, though, my assessment isn't reliable because I did what you aren't supposed to do: make a bunch of system changes quickly, so it is difficult to pin down what affected what. I sold some LP's and went on a buying spree with the proceeds:  this DAC, an external clock for my etherregen, an LPS, and some new cables. 

With all that in place, my system never has sounded better, but, when the Okto went in first and had played a bit, my thought was that the midrange had gotten a bit recessed compared to what I had previously.  I don't think that characteristic has entirely gone away through the subsequent changes.

Thanks Mike...I was thinking this would be a good off-the-desk DAC for my second system. Let me know if anything develops for you over time, appreciate the reply. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

36 minutes ago, skids929 said:

Thanks Mike...I was thinking this would be a good off-the-desk DAC for my second system. Let me know if anything develops for you over time, appreciate the reply. 

You could do worse.  On the whole, I like it better than the Topping D90, which it doesn't sound like very much.  It is almost twice the price of the Topping, but I would rather have it.  

I will add this:  this morning, I A-B'ed the two USB inputs and the DAC can sound like two different beasts depending on how you feed it.  The Pi side sounds very good and it would be a very fine daily driver if I made it my main system.  The other side, however, keeps sounding better and better as I improve the source: Sablon ethernet cable to etherregen (powered by Uptone Ultracap 1.2 and clocked with AfterDark Emperor Signature powered by AfterDark LPS) to Sonore Signature Rendu SE sounds, as you would expect at the much higher price, infinitely better in every single way. 

I guess my point is that the DAC definitely reveals differences in what you feed it. 

Did you hear what the lead time is on them now? 

21 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

You could do worse.  On the whole, I like it better than the Topping D90, which it doesn't sound like very much.  It is almost twice the price of the Topping, but I would rather have it.  

I will add this:  this morning, I A-B'ed the two USB inputs and the DAC can sound like two different beasts depending on how you feed it.  The Pi side sounds very good and it would be a very fine daily driver if I made it my main system.  The other side, however, keeps sounding better and better as I improve the source: Sablon ethernet cable to etherregen (powered by Uptone Ultracap 1.2 and clocked with AfterDark Emperor Signature powered by AfterDark LPS) to Sonore Signature Rendu SE sounds, as you would expect at the much higher price, infinitely better in every single way. 

I guess my point is that the DAC definitely reveals differences in what you feed it. 

Did you hear what the lead time is on them now? 

Haven't heard back yet. Will keep it posted here, if I hear at all. Im on the fence with just getting an all in one like the Uniti Atom and calling it a day but this DAC is intriguing at the price. I've heard all the chord stuff and I generally dislike it so won't go that route. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

13 minutes ago, skids929 said:

Haven't heard back yet. Will keep it posted here, if I hear at all. Im on the fence with just getting an all in one like the Uniti Atom and calling it a day but this DAC is intriguing at the price. I've heard all the chord stuff and I generally dislike it so won't go that route. 

You can simulate the Atom with the Okto if you can find a Pi 4 somewhere out there, but I suspect the Atom always will sound better.  The Pi is an amazing piece of hardware for what it can accomplish but it can be bettered if you spend more. 

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, 57gold said:

Anyone get one of these recently?  I periodically check the company's site and no new info posted.

Maybe when China lifts COVID restrictions, supply chain issues will be resolved, if that is the issue?

They open ordering sporadically and close when their capacity is obligated.  Happens pretty fast so you have to monitor the site regularly, if you are interested.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, 57gold said:

Anyone get one of these recently?  I periodically check the company's site and no new info posted.

Maybe when China lifts COVID restrictions, supply chain issues will be resolved, if that is the issue?

Got one DAC 8 pro in April, ordered last week of February.

The unit will be part of an active speaker project, thus I use it just with headphones for the slow & steady break in.

20220506_181455.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2024 at 1:40 PM, lfsanmartin said:

Hello everybody,

did anyone have the  opportunity to compare the Okto with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS?

Thanks

curious to see if there are other comparisons or thoughts on the OKTO dac

After almost 2 years in my main system, I may report some ideas/impressions on the DAC8 pro.

- Feeding it with a stereo signal from the Audio PC  via USB using JRIVER 31 it sounds very transparent and detailed to my ears.

- For comparison: (unblinded/unmatched): Allo Revolution, FIIO K7pro, SMSL D-6, SONCOZ LAQXD1)
Hint: Both, the FIIO and the SMSL, use the same DAC configuration used within RME AKM version,

Subjectively, I feel the OKTO is more in control and more at ease with demanding music, however comparing the FIIO or the SMSL might rather be the search for (rather unimportant to me) needles in the haystack,

- I bought it for a purpose that it does perfectly:
I am listening mainly to signals that are time-aligned & DSPed for Room Correction through convolution files created by Audiolense XO and processed by JRMC31's convolution engine. For this task I would expect my DAC to be as transparent as necessary for my aging ears. (last quarter of the 50s)

- The functionality (for my aims) is great - however as demands may differ - as this is a more simplicistic approach in comparison to RME functionality, which serves both: the Pros and the consumer, the OKTO suits me very well.

- from my personal experience with dedicated headphone amplifiers, I do prefer these to the integrated HPA of the OKTO. It may be either a question of available power or the point that the device is unfavorably placed for the tasks I do with wired headphones.

- product quality wise there is nothing negative to report, however, I've read about different experience.
- The only issue I have experienced is the loss of the remote control, thus I bought 2 cheap substitutions chez big A.
By the time these arrived I had already found that little bugger ...

- there is however the risk of upgrading to the newest firmware of the DAC 8 stereo - @Mike Rubin may report on that - which held me back to try an update with my DAC 8 Pro as it is a flawless running existing system.

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...