IGNORED

Best sub pair for strictly 2 channel listening

Budget first .  .  .  $5000.00 usd / pair

I have never owned subs for my two channel audio room.  I have always had larger speakers so never really considered. Now I am considering. 

I’m sure I could throw a pair in room and carefully integrate yet ruin what I already have accomplished. With that said I would rather stay as is if I can’t gain sound qualities using my budget allowed. 

Current speakers are Meadowlark Nightingale with Krell MDA 500 power.  I have pretty good bass extension now.  

Thanks in advance for your experienced input. 

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

At your budget for the pair, right at $5,000, I really like the Revel Performa3 B110.  Revel's Low Frequency Optimization software works very well and simplifies room integration, although you still want to get the subs in optimal position as much as possible.  Also, good on you for going with a pair, which is much better than just one sub.  

The Revel B112 digs deeper for sure, but B110 is very quick and musical.  The bass quality is very good and high fidelity.   For example, with some work I as able to integrate both the B110 and B112 with my Raidho XT-1, which are very quick and fast and therefore not an easy feat.  JL Audio are also supposed to be nice, but I've never tried them.

I have also owned SVS and Miller & Kreisel (M&K- no longer available).  SVS is great for the money, but from a pure 2-channel, music only perspective, Revel is a cut above.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

19 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

My two cents, the best subwoofer I have heard are the Zu Audio subwoofers. Two of the Undertone Mk2 subs come in  just a bit above your budget at 5700 bucks.

Yes, a "shout out" to my home town company Zu.   I should check out Zu sometime as they are close by.  I have read good things.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

SVS SB16 Ultra .  .  .

Large driver, Large Amp, 8” Voice Coils .  .  .

Priced at two grand per sub .  .  .  Appears to be a lot for the money.  Is this just a “get what you pay for” brand?

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I am usually reluctant to divide up my budget when choosing/buying gear, preferring higher quality/less number, but subs are an exception to this for me.  I think it is clear that two are better than one, and three are better than two (though four is only minimally better than three).

This is the "multi-sub approach," about which lots has been written.  Just food for thought:

https://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

On 12/1/2020 at 6:26 AM, HifiHandyman said:

I’m using two Rythmik 15” subs and couldn’t be happier.  My main speakers are Magnepan 3.7i, so they rely on good sub integration.  For your budget, you could get a pair of subs, nice cables, and a crossover like the JL Audio or Wilson units.  I honestly think to best the performance of two Rythmik 15” or 18” subs you would spend a lot more.  Personally, I’m big on sealed box subs, so I went sealed and my system sounds insane.  Good luck!

I have the exact same setup and its divine. 

Have added over time and now am up to 3 sealed rythmik subs. Bass management and EQ by DIRAC. 

Another vote for Rythmik here. I've got two of their E15HP2-SE's in my setup and am fully satisfied. My room is quite large and they fill it with ease while not even blinking. I was very surprised at how well they keep up with the speed demon Magico S3's I use for my front main towers. Mine Rythmiks are crossed over at 65hz and the Magico's do the rest.

Bang for the buck I don't think they can be beat...IMO of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned 2 JLAudio 12 Mk 1 subs for some time now after Robert Harley "The Absolute Sound" gave them an excellent review many years ago. These replaced 2 REL Stadium subs. The new MKII versions are $4000 ea but they do have cheaper models the JL AUDIO FATHOM F110V2 or even cheaper the JL AUDIO E-SUB E112 12" SUBWOOFER. Honestly its no cheap exercise to get good subs. You will be rewarded with with much better sound. I've always been amazed at the treble improvement adding subwoofers does. Sealed enclosures are a must, lots of power, solid construction of both cabinet and drivers. Be wary of floor facing drivers these can be problematic with wooden floors also rear facing with walls. Using an active crossover is needed to get the best sound. Two subs are minimum in my book for stereo.

• 1 month later...

I am not trying to be cute or sarcastic but why a sub for 2 channel setup?

I have a pair of handmade/ paired individually Legacy Audio Studio HDs driven by a Schiit Rggy just the amp-- those Studio HDs have more than enough bass/woofer power to make me feel the vibration through wood floors of my 1906 house same goes to my body when listening with headphones and it just seems like overkill spend the money on monitors like mine or go up a class to the Calibre. The studio HDs are closefield with 8" woofer and frequency response of 42-22 kHz plus when I watch/listen to movies sports etc instead of music those HDs have more than enough 'muscle' to enjoy say star wars--to me much better than my old 5-7.1 cambridgesoundworks(henry kloss's last company) set with towers satelites(sic) model 6s and sub--just thumping good bass etc. 

• 1 month later...

@cjf Thanks for that wonderful discourse- I understand your reasoning much better now but alas I have what my CFO calls is "my last rodeo" system that she graciously allowed me to have- -so there will be no subs(or anything else) in my audiophile hobby and far less clutter for her to complain about!! BTW(if you are interested) am listening this morning to The Grateful Dead, Complete Live Chronology consisting of 115 albums 2616 songs compiled by someone @BartStevens from I think TIDAL. bobbmd