IGNORED

Red Underwear, Cheap Fiats and Other Moto Stuff

No underwear on display here, but we do have some cheap Fiats, and some cars in red livery:

The greatest small cars ever made | Autocar

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:23 AM, Confused said:

The greatest small cars ever made | Autocar

To many the Peugeot 205 was the most significant car of the eighties. It was made in huge numbers (5.3 million) over 15 years, the model range was enormous, and it was wide too, encompassing ultra-frugal diesels with high-performance models such as the GTi and Turbo 16 Group B rally car.

Road going homologation version of the T16:

205t16.thumb.jpg.5f21eb75f1e004e76baeeba69f645268.jpg

This glass model above doesn't show the 4wd drive train unfortunately, but note what has happened to the back seats... And although not mentioned in the article, the Toyota Yaris has a full blown rally version as well. And speaking of Toyota...

On 7/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, accwai said:

Endurance racing is mostly a game of strategy. That's probably way too subtle to sell movies...

...they just won their 4th consecutive Le Mans last weekend. Despite their second car got punted off the track right at the start, they still managed to finish 1-2 by flattening the whole field. Toyota had a live stream on YouTube from each of their cars for the duration of the whole race but essentially the pair was circulating the track passing anything in sight in total nonchalance. Not much mention from external coverage other than the occasional Oh yeah, Toyota's still 1-2 overall. While the professionalism that Toyota displayed was jaw dropping, there won't be a Toyota vs The World movie any time soon that's for sure...

14 hours ago, accwai said:

And speaking of Toyota...

...they just won their 4th consecutive Le Mans last weekend. Despite their second car got punted off the track right at the start, they still managed to finish 1-2 by flattening the whole field. Toyota had a live stream on YouTube from each of their cars for the duration of the whole race but essentially the pair was circulating the track passing anything in sight in total nonchalance. Not much mention from external coverage other than the occasional Oh yeah, Toyota's still 1-2 overall. While the professionalism that Toyota displayed was jaw dropping, there won't be a Toyota vs The World movie any time soon that's for sure...

I'm sure they are very happy that Porsche dropped out of this type of endurance racing!

I enjoyed @accwai's mention of the Peugeot 205 T16.

Recently I was negotiating traffic on a multi-lane roundabout. A 205 GTI moved along side me. It is many years since I have seen one on the road in the UK, although at one time they were very popular here. This thing is though, I was very surprised at just how small they are. I mean, in the 80's they were a normal sized car, but here in 2021 they look tiny. Most curious. I guess cars are a bit like audiophiles, who also tend to gradually increase in size over the years.

Plus, as mentioned above, the T16 was slightly tweaked versus the standard car:

image.png.510b976d1d3f155034dc9ad4979c7413.png

image.png.0d5afd0462d8d33bec2e17e0f3081e59.png

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

20 hours ago, Confused said:

Recently I was negotiating traffic on a multi-lane roundabout. A 205 GTI moved along side me. It is many years since I have seen one on the road in the UK, although at one time they were very popular here. This thing is though, I was very surprised at just how small they are. I mean, in the 80's they were a normal sized car, but here in 2021 they look tiny. Most curious. I guess cars are a bit like audiophiles, who also tend to gradually increase in size over the years.

Plus, as mentioned above, the T16 was slightly tweaked versus the standard car

The term slightly above is a slightly casual x-D Instead of asking about the back seats, I suppose a more direct question would be what's happened to the engine, i.e. where it is... And the full rally version is wild. The screenshot below links to a DiRT Rally 2.0 demo run with commentary by the simracer Jimmy Broadbent 🍿

205t16.jpg.bb9ee884fad41649c9eb8c757b57f598.jpg

As for size of cars going up, depends on where I guess. Here in Canada, cars have always been big but lately they have been getting taller. Those in low cars constantly got headlight stuffed in their face at night. We once visited a gated community. The gate control was so high up I had to shuffle the car to the right, get out, talk, jump back and dash through the gate before it closed. For most gates and drive-through ATMs, one just needs to reach up a little, but this one seems to be specifically catering for enormous SUVs.

The flip side though is that when we were going through southern Europe in the summer of 2018, tiny cars were everywhere. Around here, Toyota Yaris is considered small while Corolla is consider mid-sized. During the trip, the Aygo was all over the place. By comparison, Yaris would be considered mid-size. Corolla was quite rare, and probably considered big. Don't recall seeing a Camry during the trip. Avalon? Forgot that, it's rare even around here. Oh, and came across a *sparkling* Lancia Delta Integrale at a side street in Genoa. Too bad that's before I started taking pictures of cars in the street. And speaking of Toyota Aygo, there is a one-off I Go Crazy concept that's along more or less the same line as Peugeot 205 T16:

640px-Toyota_Aygo_Crazy_-_Flickr_-_exfor

It's only RWD through.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:17 AM, GregWormald said:

I'm sure they are very happy that Porsche dropped out of this type of endurance racing!

I'm sure of that too! Experts have been predicting all kinds of Toyota demise scenario with various protagonists, Alpine this year and Bugatti, Peugeot etc going forward. Toyota's luck will surely run out after so many years right? In fact, Porsche vs Bugatti vs Tesla 2023 would make a wonderful sci-fi movie. Really looking forward to it!

In any case, just came across this certified used Porsche:

gt2rs_1.jpg.34e42090797841bda8c4d29315193513.jpg

gt2rs_2.jpg.4b4ff0b9a4896f03453efa3f7cd948c1.jpg

... with 104km on the odom 🤣

On 8/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, accwai said:

The term slightly above is a slightly casual x-D

Perhaps. More accurately it is English understatement. With the correct interpretation being something nearer to "utterly bonkers" or similar.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, accwai said:

It's only RWD through.

Nothing wrong with that in my view. I love RWD cars.

If you were entering a rally in snow and ice conditions, maybe not, but other than that I love RWD.

There was mention of the Zandvoort F1 Grand Prix in anther thread. (or the Sandford GP, as we call it in the UK) 

Anyway, I did not want to take the other thread off topic, but I do have a question.

What is it with Dutch GP fans and endless EDM? The Grand Prix was like a massive outdoor three day rave, interrupted by very occasional motor racing.

(It looked fantastic by the way, I might make the effort go next year and join the Verstappen fans wearing my "Hammer Time" tee shirt)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 2:46 AM, fas42 said:

Something old, something new ...

... until you floor it, and like Whaaaat?! ... My brain just exploded. Yeah it goes like a Porsche, but does it stop and turn like one too?

taycan4s.jpg.58719bec742faed1e61f4fa1b9dbd897.jpg

Also take a look at the size difference between front and rear brakes on the Taycan. Just like Lambo Urus but on a flat body. That must be saying something...

2 hours ago, accwai said:

it goes like a Porsche, but does it stop and turn like one too?

Very important but do you think that this:

2 hours ago, accwai said:

taycan4s.jpg.58719bec742faed1e61f4fa1b9dbd897.jpg

turns and in general handles like Porsche.?

By Porsche I mean something closer to the number nine-nine-one..

9-1-8 etc..  9_9

BTW they clearly put some effort in the design but for me it's another Porsch which is not really a looker. Except from the badge of course.. obviously among the coolest ones.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I wish this was cheap...

classiccarvoyage_242142769_111170231311538_822368570899085997_n.jpg

classiccarvoyage_242188735_968923443982800_4881485722904463004_n.jpg

classiccarvoyage_242343381_902387080690430_3245600524623204473_n.jpg

Quoting myself here because I made a discovery, and all things being relative, it may just be cheap...

GTO Engineering, in England, is making a revival version of the California Spyder. Though I am positive it will cost near a million USD that's significantly less than an original California Spider.

https://www.gtoengineering.com/revival

No electron left behind.

21 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

[...] do you think that this:

turns and in general handles like Porsche.?

By Porsche I mean something closer to the number nine-nine-one..

9-1-8 etc..  9_9

Don't know if this is close to number nine-nine-one but the enormous brake got to count for something:

Is this comparable then?

4gvYMZxyvtFfudSdCx7rSw.jpg.a2a50de4c2a447ea06ee536125df38c7.jpg

Please advise.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Just found this ... a famous name, locally made track car, on our best known circuit,

The interior layout looks quite normal for something in the GT3 class... In any case, this video is supposed to be the same circuit's production class lap record:

Isn't it supposed to be the same color as the red Porsche above?

1 hour ago, Racerxnet said:

D or DD cups? ☺️

I hoped someone would get it.. 👍

On 10/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, accwai said:

Don't know if this is close to number nine-nine-one but the enormous brake got to count for something:

Is this comparable then?

4gvYMZxyvtFfudSdCx7rSw.jpg.a2a50de4c2a447ea06ee536125df38c7.jpg

Please advise.

Absolutely - the upper one! 

Primo - it's red (!)

Secundo - it's got Michelin tyres, I'm a huge fan of the brand, have them even in my second consecutive MTB..

But most importantly:

Primo..