IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

I was curious about the specs of the cell phone tower OCXO  clock currently offered on AliExpress for the EtherREGEN. I asked the vendor these questions:

1. What is the output impedance, 50 ohms or 75 ohms? The pictures look like 50 ohm outputs, but I wasn't sure if the picture was the actual product.

2. Who is the manufacturer of the OCXO?

Answers:

1. 50 ohms.

2. NDK 2525.

AliExpress OCXO item ordering page:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001705401580.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4a913c00TOaaBw&mp=1

NDK2525 spec sheet:

https://www.ndk.com/en/ad/2013/001/pdf/c_NZ2520SD_e.pdf

3 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I think you've not read this thread fully. A few of us have asked for and received 75 ohm units. It's easy to verify by looking at the BNC connectors.

There are at least three brands of OCXO clocks used. Both my active and spare one use DAPU.

Also, some units are single square and dual sinewave, while others are triple squarewave. It depends on what you want.

I read the thread fully. I think you did not read, or understand, my post fully.

As my post stated, the pictures in the AliExpress ad I referenced showed 50 ohm outputs, but the ad specifically stated that the clock was for EtherREGEN owners. I wanted to ask about the output impedace to be sure. Product pictures in ads are not always representative of the actual product.

I recall reading that the DAPU OXCO stocks have been depleted, and that people were receiving clocks that had other brands of oscillators. That is why I asked the vendor in my referenced AliExpress ad about the OCXO brand in their clock.

Obviously, I am aware that there are several options for these type of  OCXO clocks and outputs, hence my references to not wanting to play "reclaimed cell tower clock roulette", and ordering the Afterdark Giesemann clock with integrated linear power supply.

Specifically, I was posting information for those who might be interested in that particular AliExpress OCXO option, as I had not seen the specs for it posted previously. My apologies if I overlooked it.

I am still interested in one of these inexpensive clocks to compare to the Giesemann, and possibly to use with my second EtherREGEN in my system at work.

5 hours ago, James Stephens said:

Hi there,

Something might be amiss.

That spec sheet appears to be for an oscillator that will output a number of frequencies but not 10MHz, and that isn't an NDK2525.

Having said that, I checked NDK's website but I didn't see a spec page for an NDK2525.

Best,

James

Hi James,

That spec sheet was the closest I could find when doing a search for an NDK2525, either by search engine or on NDK's website.

When I saw the "2520" in the part number, I wondered if the 2520 might be a member of that family of OCXOs.  ALso, it could be that I was given the wrong part number by the AliExpress vendor.

When I searched for 10 MHz NDK OCXOs, most of those part numbers began with "NH". I have sent an email to NDK requesting clarification.

After the AliExpress seller confirmed that they could change the square wave output to 75 ohms, for an additional charge of $8 USD, I placed an order for one. I paid an additional $13.98 for AliExpress Premium shipping, with an expected delivery date of March 21, 2021.

My total came to $114.24 ($85 for the clock + $8.00 for the 75 ohm output + $9.26 tax + $13.98 premium shipping - $2.00 AliExpress discount coupon).

However, the order did not go through for security reasons. I was then led to an "appeals" page where I was asked to upload a photo of my credit card, a photo of a photo ID, and other identity confirmation. The appeals page said if everything checked out, the order would be released in about three days, at which time I could complete payment.

This, along with the difficulty in finding accurate specs, or even the accurate identity of the OCXO in this clock, were taken as "signs" that I should move on. I then promptly cancelled the order.

844757326_AliExpressTZT10MHzClockOrderCancelled-s.thumb.jpg.a18c8d1da5e5969222122c51eeb42ef8.jpg

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why aren’t you purchasing the same clock as the rest of us ?

@R1200CL, The three square wave output BG7TBL clock you purchased from HamRadioshop Store is no longer available. That unfortunate development has been mentioned a few times previously in this thread.

Three square wave output BG7TBL no longer available:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001245799329.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&social_params=20028087761&tt=MG&aff_fsk=_mNKlgzX&aff_platform=default&sk=_mNKlgzX&aff_trace_key=093f272f4474412f94cf5157972e514d-1614452691180-01472-_mNKlgzX&shareId=20028087761&businessType=ProductDetail&platform=AE&terminal_id=a79ff3b9eedb4287b15412a42a902112

The BG7TBL I attempted to purchase from TZT specifically said it was for use with the EtherREGEN. Based on that, I assumed that clock would have a low phase noise OCXO and that the seller might be agreeable to changing the square wave output to 75 ohms.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001705401580.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4a913c00TOaaBw&mp=1

17 hours ago, ambre said:

Vannot you use Paypal also insured shipment and risks. That working great with AliBaBa :-)

Yes, I reconsidered and placed the order again and paid with Paypal with no issues.

I have been ordering from AliExpress since 2017 and never had any issues paying by credit card, or with merchandise arriving in a reasonably timely manner from China. Maybe they have some new security protocols for credit card payments.

My order is supposed to ship within 8 days. I requested the square wave output and the middle sine wave output to be changed to 75 ohms. We'll see what shows up and when.

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333541364404

a premium alternative among the Chinese ocxos. 

The phase noise spec for the Morion OCXO is given for 5MHz,  (-130 dBc/Hz at 10 Hz). This would be equivalent to -124 dBc/Hz at 10 Hz. According to @Superdad "125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's 25.0MHz Crystek CCHD-575."

The Morion-based clock might not be an audibly superior alternative to the ER's Crystek clock.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:09 PM, Superdad said:

"The Crystal CCHD-575 [used in the EtherREGEN] is one of the lowest phase-noise production XO available (about $10 each at 500 piece qty,), and our 3 original 25MHz (random production) samples came with plots showing 10Hz-offset phase-noise of -108, -110, and -112 dBc/Hz.  (Crystek is very conservative and the graphs they post do not reflect these actual terrific production performance marks.) And remember, it is far easier to get better numbers from a 10MHz clock than a 25MHz clock, though they can be equivalent in terms of jitter/phase-noise.

-125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's 25.0MHz Crystek CCHD-575.  25.0MHz is 1.5 octaves above 10.0MHz, so its typical -110dBc/Hz (@ 10Hz offset) can be considered equivalent to -119dBc/Hz if it was a 10MHz clock (about 6dB/octave is safe to draw comparisons between frequencies). And it seems plausible that the adjusted-for-frequency difference of 6dB--between -119 and -125--would be about the threshold for what could be audible with our switch.

This assumes use of a good short clock cable, matched impedances, and use of square wave..."

6 hours ago, GMG said:

I was wondering about the longevity of OCXO in general. 
do they degrade over time?

how are they compared to “regular” audio clocks?

@JohnSwenson addressed that question here:

On 12/31/2020 at 8:47 PM, JohnSwenson said:

I've said this many times before but I'll say it again. What matters for digital audio is the phase noise, the absolute accuracy, and the aging (drift over time) and temperature coefficient do not matter. These are all so good that they will not even come into the picture for digital audio.

The lowest phase noise is produced by the best crystal oscillators, period. All these other types of clocks (mostly "atomic clocks" such as rubidium, cesium, hydrogen maser, cesium fountain) all have lousy phase noise, but great long term stability (fractions of a part per billion), which is completely meaningless for digital audio. The time it will take to get a one second error is greater than the age of the universe, but that is meaningless for digital audio!

John S.

• 4 weeks later...

23 minutes ago, ambre said:

Less voltage and peaks in both waves.

How to interpret less is better ......??!!!

There is some amplitude inaccuracy due to the impedance mismatch between the scope and the source/cables.

10 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

What impedance did you have the scope input set to? A standard inputof 1 megaohm will give very different results than a 50 ohm input. (which is much closer to 75 than 2 megaohm is).

John S.

The scope inputs are 1 megaohm. This scope requires a 75 ohm feedthrough terminator to properly terminate 75 ohm sources and cables, which I don't have at the moment.

6 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

@DarqueKnight

My BG7BTL from RadioHam arrived too. I had a similar experience to your. 

How do you know which [output] is which?

The Ham Radio Shop BG7TBLs are advertised as

"75ohm output by BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO FREQUENCY STANDARD 3 channel square wave clock Master Clock for your EtherREGEN"

Therefore all three of the outputs should be square wave. The only way to know for sure is to attach the outputs to an oscilloscope (which is what I did).

The BG7TBL I purchased drom TZT shop had, per my request, going from left to right:

Output 1 - 75 Ohm Square

Output 2 - 75 Ohm Sine

Outout 3 - 50 Ohm Sine