IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player

28 minutes ago, 4est said:

I always find humor that so many people don't realize that the vast majority of DACs internally convert to SDM/DSD, or in Alex's case, cannot seem to accept that simple tidbit of truth. But yes, people should use whatever software they prefer regardless.

Well implemented native DSD/SDM and PCM/R2R DACs can both sound great. The native SDM DAC is more cost effective and the upsampling to high bitrate PCM is more cost effective. Alex doesn’t have access to a fast workstation or reasonably good gaming computer so depends on DSP chips. That said great DSP chips are in mass production eg the Apple AirPods and can have very nice sound!

I wonder what percentage of the world is currently listening to AirPods and not reading this thread? 99.x decimal points? 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yet I am still getting way better sounding Audio than the vast majority of members by correcting deficiencies in other areas that matter more.

That’s a rather strange conclusion: how do you presume to say that you get way better sound than the vast majority of members here? That is extraordinarily presumptuous  and entirely without basis.

You have no way of knowing what an approach may do or not, what filters do or don’t and what modulators do or don’t. You have no experience. 

Of course everything above modifies the bits entering the DAC and I know you prefer to stick with approaches that don’t have an effect on bits. Just so.

35 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In my experience, every time you use S/W to convert to different formats , or process a file further , there is a minor penalty to be paid in the SQ area due to the electrical noise generated by less than perfect power supplies ,where the most obvious example is conversion to and from .flac , especially when done "on the fly" as many other members have reported,

That’s where not only are you wrong but admit that you have no experience with software such as HQPlayer or XXHE — so you continue to “say stuff” with no experience. You bandy about the term “electrical noise” without actual experience, neither subjective nor objective.

I suspect that you have no experience with Linux either, so neither wtfplay nor audiolinux etc. You know Linux the actually free OS that everyone can use.

Why are you even commenting here? 

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Neither are my system or Teresa's system for that matter, capable of doing this .

You ought not speak for @Teresa, she is very articulate and has spoken well for herself. I believe she has spoken of an affinity for SACD for example. No one need do what I personally do and if cost constraints are an issue I have often posted of cost effective approaches including Raspberry Pi. In other cases simplicity is paramount. To each his or her own. 

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Most people do not need, or want, the added complexity and cost of implementing this kind of thing with numerous settings in Software , with no setting that appears to give a universally accepted best quality. This is exactly why I originally rejected Peter's generous offer of a free copy of XXHE some years ago, with numerous program updates.

Yes I get the point that you have an active distaste for software and the use of software under any circumstances—and networks. You have endlessly posted about the evils done both by software and networks to your precious bits.