IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

“As usual, MU1 tends to minimize the SQ impact of successive Roon builds (compared to many other servers), but that does not mean that it is completely immune to them. Whatever, I'll be making sure that I do have a backup of this build in case the next build goes the wrong way”

Agreed! With a myriad of component combinations, Roon wont stand pat. I’ll need some resolve to not update on the next FW. Side point, ordered the MU2 and was surprised at the near glut of MU1’s in used markets (mostly dealers). Conversely,  DAC’s like the DAVE are relatively the same in quantity and price.  

4 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Maybe they have indeed deployed some magic. Last night, I upgraded from build 1388 to 1392, and felt there were some nice (if subtle) improvements, which is impressive considering I thought 1388 was already pretty good. The main reason for the new build were "performance improvements", with which I didn't have a problem with in the first place, but maybe the Law of Unintended Consequences has applied?

As usual, MU1 tends to minimize the SQ impact of successive roon builds (compared to many other servers), but that does not mean that it is completely immune to them. Whatever, I'll be making sure that I do have a backup of this build in case the next build goes the wrong way.

I'm curious. How do you create a backup of an actual "build"?  The backups offered in Roon appear to only capture the database and settings but not the underlying code. Do you have another server with license that you use for just this purpose?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

How do you create a backup of an actual "build"? 

Because each backup includes the build number, I've assumed that the s/w version is also backed up (otherwise how could functionality introduced at each build keep in step?). But it's just an assumption - I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I’ve read many of the posts on this thread. One thing that is obvious, Roon set up parameters affect the sound quality. I noticed that Taiko published Roon set up recommendations that applies to their streamers.   Is there a compiled list of Roon settings for Grimm streamers, beyond what I see in the MU2 owners manual?

Suggest you start with the last on the Taiko list and see how that sounds:  Disable DSP and remove filters.  

I don't think there is a posted list for the Grimm, but @TheAttorney has a post or two on this thread about what he has tried (a lot).  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 hours ago, bluebeat said:

To my ears there's an improvement too since the latest Roon update. I hear better defined leading edges and a wider and deeper soundstage, overall a more nimble and musical presentation. Nice!

Cheers

when Roon re-programmed the lefthand menu, the performance was snappier.  Perhaps they have trimmed down some code that affects sound too (network traffic?).  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

28 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Because each backup includes the build number, I've assumed that the s/w version is also backed up (otherwise how could functionality introduced at each build keep in step?). But it's just an assumption - I could be wrong.

From my reading of responses on the Roon community site, it would appear that the backups do not envelop the software version code with them.  Net: once you've moved forward, you cannot go back.  Classic physics "arrow of time" applies to this software.  I've other hardware that allows for using any number of old firmware.  Yet with Windows systems, complete backups allow for their restoration, no matter their age.  The caveat is you're subject to intermediate malware...

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

On 4/7/2024 at 4:10 PM, Vangelis said:

I’ve read many of the posts on this thread. One thing that is obvious, Roon set up parameters affect the sound quality. I noticed that Taiko published Roon set up recommendations that applies to their streamers.   Is there a compiled list of Roon settings for Grimm streamers, beyond what I see in the MU2 owners manual?

Start with my earlier post, further down the page here. The referenced forum is still running strong for dedicated roon tweakers.

Wow, there is a lot to absorb on that thread.  This was just what I was looking for. 

Thank you 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

Anyone upgraded to a SR fuse in the Mu2, if so what value was it?  Not sure if it’s a similar spec as what’s in the Mu1 which think was small / short 640ma fast blow. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

16 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Anyone upgraded to a SR fuse in the Mu2, if so what value was it?  Not sure if it’s a similar spec as what’s in the Mu1 which think was small / short 640ma fast blow. 

Might be worthwhile ($) to ask Grimm if there's any possible chance doing so would make any difference.  

Steve Schaffer

13 hours ago, Vangelis said:

MU2's fuse is a bit higher at 1A.

IMO, the MU1 (and therefore probably the MU2) is affected by power cords, power connectors, power conditioners and fuses in much the same way as all other hifi components that I've tried. I felt the SR Orange (the best I had at the time) gave a nice boost to my MU1 (more obvious, say, than the recently mentioned roon tweaks). It's rated very slightly higher than spec because of SR's reputation for premature failure. My risk.

I doubt if Grimm would ever publicly condone audiophile fuses, for the same reason as most other mainstream manufacturers - they are obliged to put safety first, which is fair enough.

3 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

MU2's fuse is a bit higher at 1A.

IMO, the MU1 (and therefore probably the MU2) is affected by power cords, power connectors, power conditioners and fuses in much the same way as all other hifi components that I've tried. I felt the SR Orange (the best I had at the time) gave a nice boost to my MU1 (more obvious, say, than the recently mentioned roon tweaks). It's rated very slightly higher than spec because of SR's reputation for premature failure. My risk.

I doubt if Grimm would ever publicly condone audiophile fuses, for the same reason as most other mainstream manufacturers - they are obliged to put safety first, which is fair enough.

What do you currently use in your Grimm today?  What do you mean, exactly, by "a nice boost"?  Can you relate this to sonic qualities?

Steve Schaffer

No doubt, manufactures are generally not keen on aftermarket fuses. Some of them are OK with it, like Innous. I’ve experienced significant improvement by upgrading my fuses to the overpriced, but effective Synergitic Research fuse.  

So, is this a 1A slow blow or fast blow in the Grimm. 

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

What do you currently use in your Grimm today?  What do you mean, exactly, by "a nice boost"?  Can you relate this to sonic qualities?

I still use the same SR Orange in the MU1 - haven't bothered to change it, but I did add an SR Purple in the UK mains wall plug, which was better still.

I don't try to dissect sound into separate characteristics (unless a particular aspect really stands out).

I'd class the fuse upgrade as an incremental, general, across-the-board improvement, very broadly equivalent to going up one level up the hierarchy of any manufacturer's power cord range. Put in another way, a bit more focus and clarity along with a slightly more natural presentation. I always value a change where both clarity and naturalness are improved at the same time -  a sign of a genuine improvement, rather than just a different flavour.

MU2's fuse is 1A fast blow worldwide.

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I still use the same SR Orange in the MU1 - haven't bothered to change it, but I did add an SR Purple in the UK mains wall plug, which was better still.

I don't try to dissect sound into separate characteristics (unless a particular aspect really stands out).

I'd class the fuse upgrade as an incremental, general, across-the-board improvement, very broadly equivalent to going up one level up the hierarchy of any manufacturer's power cord range. Put in another way, a bit more focus and clarity along with a slightly more natural presentation. I always value a change where both clarity and naturalness are improved at the same time -  a sign of a genuine improvement, rather than just a different flavour.

MU2's fuse is 1A fast blow worldwide.

Is that the large (5x20mm) small or large (6.3x32mm) size?

Steve Schaffer

1 hour ago, Ronnie112 said:

I'd guess not. Clearly the sound is from the volume control relays clicking under the rotary disk.

Thanks Ronnie like always!

Grimm MU2

Denon DP-7000 / Vertere Phono-1 mk2L

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse