IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

On 3/1/2024 at 11:07 AM, PYP said:

@aangen Since the MU2 is indeed different, why not a different approach than the T-shirt?  Given your classification of DACs, why not try what is known as a Hawaiian or Aloha shirt.  You can google how this should be worn.  Then cut the arms off of that (or customize as below).  Your YouTube subscriptions will definitely increase.  And the MU2 may reach a different market. 

image.png.be7f2944f0e6fc37cec0c300d3ec19c4.png

I was actually thinking we, as a group, do it like an open mic night at a comedy club. About a year ago I stopped clicking on links to some alleged expert who is absolutely convinced granite Really Is a good material to use as a shelf. 

So fake videos about absurd products and solutions (Mmmmmm, solutions!) and explaining to the raptured audience What You’ve Discovered and Why They Need It!

You go first, I like this current song and I’m setting down this iPad.

I am wearing a lumberjack shirt today. Expecting my made to order wonderwood underboards. Think everyone should have one, or consider yourself banned 😉

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

For info about my setup, look at my profile

6 hours ago, aangen said:

I was actually thinking we, as a group, do it like an open mic night at a comedy club. About a year ago I stopped clicking on links to some alleged expert who is absolutely convinced granite Really Is a good material to use as a shelf. 

So fake videos about absurd products and solutions (Mmmmmm, solutions!) and explaining to the raptured audience What You’ve Discovered and Why They Need It!

You go first, I like this current song and I’m setting down this iPad.

@krass is correct that my post is rather off topic (although it was in reaction to @aangen's classification scheme for DACs and his impression, with which I agree, about so many experts in the YouTube world).  

But no disrespect is meant toward the hard-working folks at Grimm.  In fact, this team of talented individuals who produce innovative products unlike any other (think about the functionality, the performance and the warranty at that particular price point) has my highest respect.  As does my MU1.  While I'm as guilty as any when using hyperbole in my descriptions, it is true to say that the MU1 has re-calibrated my expectation of what a hi-fi system can provide to a music lover.  I look forward to trying an MU2.  Either it or the MU1 will stay in my setup.  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

7 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Fourth month of playing my music through the MU2 and still enjoying every minute with it. You know it does something really good when you rediscover your library (which you know so well) and just make so much more sense out of it. Was just listening to the Kyteman orchestra (a Dutch band) recorded with all vintage equipment. On most of my past listening sessions I liked it, but so much was happening that sometines I just lost it somewhere. With the MU2 it feels like I'm in the recording. Can hear the large choir members breathing between the parts, can see the venue and where everyone is and just get it so much better altogether.  I think this is what our hobby is all about. Thanks Grimm team, for giving me some much more pleasure enjoying my music!

Hi Ronnie, can you remind us of your system? Thanks

4 minutes ago, ls13 said:

Hi Ronnie, can you remind us of your system? Thanks

Please look at my profile for a full overview. Recently added a Purtian DC blocker/filter, only for the amp. And iRAP decoupling platforms and wonderwood underboards. Will update my profile accordingly soon.

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

4 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Please look at my profile for a full overview. Recently added a Purtian DC blocker/filter, only for the amp. And iRAP decoupling platforms and wonderwood underboards. Will update my profile accordingly soon.

Got it. Interesting set up!

Any thoughts on this ? 
He is basically saying they MU1 and Tambaqe  is undoubtedly better sounding than MU2. 
as a mola mola distributor I think it financially makes more sense for him to sell separate boxes vs one MU2 …

38 minutes ago, Datka said:

Any thoughts on this ? 
He is basically saying they MU1 and Tambaqe  is undoubtedly better sounding than MU2. 
as a mola mola distributor I think it financially makes more sense for him to sell separate boxes vs one MU2 …

Bill is an honest guy with good ears.  He helped Mola Mola achieve a certain sound presentation for the Tambaqui (apparently it was voiced in his listening room), so naturally it fits his preferences.  But he will work with you to get the sound you want in your room.  I will demo a MU2 when it is available (short supply at this point).

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

It is a very rambling non-review - I get the impression that a lot of his MU1/MMT customers are asking about trading in for the MU2, and he is trying to reassure them that they should keep their MU1/MMT.   It might well be true the the MU1/MMT is better - but I don't think he made the case very well in this video.   It would be nice to see him focus more on a direct comparison, and not general statements of how separate components in other product lines are better than non-separates.

Still waiting on my MU2 - the dealer says they forgot to include the 8TB SSD, which is causing another delay.

4 minutes ago, Datka said:

We should have some good MU2 reviewes in a month or 2 . 
I couldn’t wait, sold Dave and Preordered MU2 with 2TB SSD .  

Good for you! Just jump in, you won't be disappointed.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, janN said:

Today I received the MU2 replacing my MMT/MU1 combination.

Old Roon database and music is installed and I did already some listening through headphones ( Focal Utopia).

First impressions are good.

There is difference between the MU2 and MMT/MU1.

I don't know or this is caused by the headphone output of the MU2 which I think it is "better" than headphone output of the MMT.

Maybe because of the analogue pre-amp of the MU2

Tomorrow I'll play through my amp and speakers. 

Looking forward to your listening impressions!

9 minutes ago, Low325 said:

No0o0o0o0 don’t convince me to acquire one!  Timing is not good! 😂 

I can tell you, with certainty, the MU2 is better than running the MMT directly into an amp. (I guess at least my amp).

On the other hand, the MMT sounds pretty great with a preamp in the chain. 

18 minutes ago, ls13 said:

I can tell you, with certainty, the MU2 is better than running the MMT directly into an amp. (I guess at least my amp).

On the other hand, the MMT sounds pretty great with a preamp in the chain. 

Thx. I may have to try a preamp to see if I can sense enhancement. I have one of those gain control amps (not really an integrated but kinda like an integrated)

Fleetwood Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP ADIO < Grimm MU1

20 minutes ago, janN said:

I have the MU2 now for 1 week and kept it running all the time.

The MU2 is directly connected into my power amp, my MMT/MU1 combination was also connected without pre-amp.

At first listening session I was a little bit disappointed.  I heard a difference in the lows, maybe less lows?

But after listening for several days the tonal balance of the MU2 outperformed the MMT/MU1 and is superb in my opinion. There is more space between voices and sometimes I heard details I never noticed before. 

After all I'm very satisfied with the MU2.

Thx. Exactly what you expect at this level. Relatively small differences, but once you have experienced them it is difficult to take a step back....

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Looking at the specs I’m not confused with headphone output specs 

Headphone output - max 40 mW into 30 Ohm, 55 mW into 600 Ohm

1 . usually higher resistance less power it can output ? 
2 checked chord Dave specs for headphone 

1% THD 6.8v RMS with 33Ω (1.4w)

does this make MU2 headphone output significantly less compared to Dave ? 

19 hours ago, ls13 said:

I had some of the same impressions. For me, going directly from the Mu1/MMT into a Gryphon Essence Stereo amp, I had a marked attenuation of Bass, and a sharper edges to imaging, with a rather flat soundstage behind the speakers. Putting the Mu2 directly, I experienced more bass (different from you), and a more natural  tonality, that didn't rely on treble accentuation for detail or spatial cues. It really was quite good. For my system, with the Mu2 alone, the 2D size of the soundstage did shrink. When adding the Accuphase C3900 to the Mu1/MMT, I had the good qualities of the Mu2, but a bigger soundstage, tighter more dynamic bass, while retaining great imaging and a natural sound. System synergy is real. I'm no longer willing to "roll the dice" without auditioning components in the system. Too much work to be constantly moving components in and out, and system synergy/user preference is a big deal.

That was no fun to read. My MU2 arrives next week. Hmmmmm.

I plug my DACs into a Gryphon Commander Preamp. Hopefully that solves whatever it is you experienced. I have never been a fan of having a DAC connected straight to Amplifier. In theory…blah blah blah… but in reality I prefer the Preamp route. Oddly, the MU2 has an excellent Preamp in it if what the reviewers say is accurate. I guess I’ll find out.

10 minutes ago, aangen said:

That was no fun to read. My MU2 arrives next week. Hmmmmm.

Looking forward to you findings @aangen@ls13 did you also try the MU2 with the Accuphase C3900 to see if the additional soundstage/dynamics/imaging was to atttibute to the MU1/MMT or to the C3900?