IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

On 6/25/2023 at 5:59 PM, Eelco Grimm said:

@Nicholas Dong The next firmware update is a _huge_ amount of work since we write most of the code ourselves. And we prefer to do it right the first time. Please remain patient for a few months. It will be very much worth the wait...

Well, if I could play music without Roon, I'd wait a few more months, thanks to Eelco

6 hours ago, aangen said:

I have so many DACs already!

I just assumed because of this I could choose to not get involved with the MU2. But what I am reading makes that seem incorrect. Now it seems like I will soon have yet another DAC. Moohaha!

will be very interesting to read about what you hear and any comparisons to your other two DACs.  

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Makua > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, new MU1 owner here in Vancouver Canada.

Just wanna see if other users notice the fuse rating inside the unit is different from what it says in the user manual?  I’m waiting for a reply from the dealer now.

1.  200mA Fast blow (worldwide it says) in user manual

2.  630mA Fast blow in actual MU1 fuse tray.

It’s quite surprising to find that out.

Grimm MU2

Denon DP-7000 / Vertere Phono-1 mk2L

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse

14 hours ago, Terrycwk said:

Just wanna see if other users notice the fuse rating inside the unit is different from what it says in the user manual?  I’m waiting for a reply from the dealer now.

1.  200mA Fast blow (worldwide it says) in user manual

2.  630mA Fast blow in actual MU1 fuse tray.

My UK-supplied MU1 has Fast Blow 630mA. I think the 200mA must be a typo.

I'm surprised it's Fast Blow though. Most mains fuses are Slow Blow to handle switch-on surge. Grimm must be particularly concerned about transients on the mains supply, as they also have that little button on the back for a two-stage power up or down.

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I'm surprised it's Fast Blow though. Most mains fuses are Slow Blow to handle switch-on surge. Grimm must be particularly concerned about transients on the mains supply, as they also have that little button on the back for a two-stage power up or down.

Thanks TheAttorney!  I’m still waiting for the dealer to give me a reply on this question so will wait and see.  There’s actually a Grimm user group on FB and I do plan to post the question later on.

Grimm MU2

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse

12 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

May I ask if you have changed the fuse?  If yes I suppose it would be F630mA right?

Grimm MU2

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse

5 hours ago, Terrycwk said:

May I ask if you have changed the fuse?  If yes I suppose it would be F630mA right?

Yes, I replaced it with an SR Orange, and yes this was worth it for improved SQ.

I had a spare SR Orange that was rated slightly higher than 630mA, which is a slight risk I'm prepared to take as a temporary measure, as the SR's have a reputation for premature failure at the recommended rating. I'm waiting to see the recommended rating for MU2 before making any other fuse changes. With the extra circuitry, the MU2 could well have a higher rated fuse.

15 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Yes, I replaced it with an SR Orange, and yes this was worth it for improved SQ.

I had a spare SR Orange that was rated slightly higher than 630mA, which is a slight risk I'm prepared to take as a temporary measure, as the SR's have a reputation for premature failure at the recommended rating. I'm waiting to see the recommended rating for MU2 before making any other fuse changes. With the extra circuitry, the MU2 could well have a higher rated fuse.

Many thanks again!  Hopefully I will get a reply from the dealer soon on why the discrepancies.

Grimm MU2

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse

Any updates on what the proper fuse value is? I have an inkling that Eelco probably doesn’t believe a fuse or a power cable impact the MU1 much. This seems pretty typical with most audio manufacturers. But I have positive experiences with fuses, power cables and interconnects in my system. I wouldn’t be shy to trying a fuse upgrade.

4 hours ago, aangen said:

Any updates on what the proper fuse value is? I have an inkling that Eelco probably doesn’t believe a fuse or a power cable impact the MU1 much. This seems pretty typical with most audio manufacturers. But I have positive experiences with fuses, power cables and interconnects in my system. I wouldn’t be shy to trying a fuse upgrade.

In mine it is 630mA, so assuming that is the proper value. And although the electrical design of the Grimm MU1 makes it less immune to its surroundings compared to others, it does benefit from better fuses and powercords in my experience. Replacing the fuse with the Synergistic Purple fuse improved resolution and openness of the soundstage as well as slightly better dynamics. I'm inclined to go for one of those new Master fuses, but waiting for the fuse rating of the MU2 before I place my order. 

"You should create the circumstances in which happiness can be made possible" - Herman van Veen

For info about my setup, look at my profile

5 hours ago, aangen said:

As per message from a dealer in another forum the F630mA is the correct one and somehow the numbers are misprinted.  As many other users are using the F630mA, I’m just gonna follow the queue and get it replaced lol.

Grimm MU2

Aesthetix Mimas

JMR Abscisse

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, Stevem324 said:

I just ordered a MU1 to replace my ancient Bryston BDP-2.  I'll be using it my Bricasti M1SE.  I had my Bryston connected with an ethernet cable directly to my Netgear Mesh wifi booster.  I was thinking of getting a network switch to put between the wifi booster and the MU1.  Would it be beneficial to get a network switch for this application?  I was thinking of getting a Innous PhoenixNet, Melco, or SOTM switch but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to make a major impact due the MU1's excellent noise rejection.  Would I be better off going direct from the wifi booster to the MU1 and putting my money into a very good AES cable and power cords?  Also I'm looking for suggestions for a good AES cable without breaking the bank.  I was thinking of getting a Triode Wire Labs AES cable.  Anyone have experience with that cable.  I've also had good experience with Revelation Audio Labs digital cables.

I'm not new to network switches and the audio SQ benefits that they provide.  In my basement system, I have a Etherregen, external After Dark OCXO clock, and Sonore Optical Module Deluxe with LPS for all of these components.  My streamer in this system is an Aurender W20SE connected to a May KTE. In this system, I have my main router ethernet wired to the Sonore OMD and fiber optic to the ER.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Any comments on difference in SQ between your BDP 2 and MU 1? I have a BDP 3 and am considering replacing it with an MU 1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 5:14 PM, Terrycwk said:

As per message from a dealer in another forum the F630mA is the correct one and somehow the numbers are misprinted.  As many other users are using the F630mA, I’m just gonna follow the queue and get it replaced lol.

@Eelco Grimm could you please confirm that 630 mA FB is the right fuse value/type?

Thanks!

Source: APL DNP-MR SE, DAC: APL DSD-MR SE, Amp: Pilium Leonidas Integrated, Speakers: EgglestonWorks Savoy SE, Network: APL ANS-MR, Cabling: Esprit Audio, Stealth Audio, Power: Stromtank S-1000