IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

@PYP

you just took the words outta my head. 

I need to find a way to demo the L1s or higher.  I love my horns but the synergy in the Grimm ecosystem has me curious. 

I’m hoping it doesn’t please me should I finally demo, because that’ll leave me with some tough choices in my digital chain. Yikes. 😬 

Fleetwood Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP ADIO < Grimm MU1

Hi,

Just after some information regarding the internal SSD Music storage on the Grimm mu1. Can that internal SSD be easily changed to a larger SSD is this something that can be done DIY or will it need to be sent away? I do not know much on the MU1 so asking here.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Nay said:

Hi,

Just after some information regarding the internal SSD Music storage on the Grimm mu1. Can that internal SSD be easily changed to a larger SSD is this something that can be done DIY or will it need to be sent away? I do not know much on the MU1 so asking here.

Thanks

yes it can be changed… I bought a used Mu1 and mine was upgraded to a larger disc by Grimm (from 4Gb to 8Gb; I don’t know what the maximum is)

I don’t know whether it can be done DIY, or whether it’s wise. But I do know that the Grimm service was excellent… they also brought some other internals up to date and all for a very reasonable price (such that I didn’t even consider trying to do it myself).

I contacted Grimm with my serial number who then provided an “offer” for the work, options etc. They preferred not to deal directly with me but rather through an existing dealer (easier to arrange transport etc), but if you go this way you should have that conversation with them yourself.

Very good & friendly service.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

11 hours ago, Nay said:

Hi,

Thanks

Additional questions (after a dispute with local dealer):

- is there a SQ decrease comparing internal drive vs external (USB)?

- is it possible to prepare external SDD in a magic way so it becomes R/W (instead of read only)?

Questions above appeared after dealers suggestions when I instisted on having at least 2TB internal drive.

Apart of above - MU1 / Tambaqui is a terrific combo…

1 hour ago, onefspeed said:

Additional questions (after a dispute with local dealer):

- is there a SQ decrease comparing internal drive vs external (USB)?

- is it possible to prepare external SDD in a magic way so it becomes R/W (instead of read only)?

Questions above appeared after dealers suggestions when I instisted on having at least 2TB internal drive.

Apart of above - MU1 / Tambaqui is a terrific combo…

I have not heard a SQ difference comparing internal drive vs external USB.  The external USB is read only, as you said, and there isn't a magic solution to that since it was specifically designed that way.  Some users do connect to a NAS however (I've read about some issues such as a very large number of files on the NAS and the some models of the NAS, but have no NAS and therefor no personal experience).   

I have a 2TB drive and it works flawlessly even though I don't use it much since streaming via Qobuz is so my fun (discovering new music every day). 

Agree that the MU1 + Tambaqui has special synergy.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thanks for a swift answer. Till yesterday I was only lurking that forum, esp MU1 thread recently. 

I am also on Qoubuz (streaming + occasionally buying hi-res), switching from Melco, over 4TB library, and still ripping. Internal SSD seemed to be a must.

Your explanation turned orange warning light to red. Looks like local distributor prefers to sell diskless Grimms adding some BS to it, instead of effort of installing anything. I will probably kiss my discounts goodbye and buy directly from Grimm online shop.

6 hours ago, onefspeed said:

Thanks for a swift answer. Till yesterday I was only lurking that forum, esp MU1 thread recently. 

I am also on Qoubuz (streaming + occasionally buying hi-res), switching from Melco, over 4TB library, and still ripping. Internal SSD seemed to be a must.

Your explanation turned orange warning light to red. Looks like local distributor prefers to sell diskless Grimms adding some BS to it, instead of effort of installing anything. I will probably kiss my discounts goodbye and buy directly from Grimm online shop.

If you have a library, then the internal SSD is the best option.  Of course, some people have more than 8TB of music, therefore the option to use a NAS is welcome.  

When I purchased my MU1, there were four dealers in the US (now there are more).  I had to call around to find one willing to send one for a demo.   My dealer assumed that the 2TB option would be popular and seemed to have bought his MU1s with that size SSD (which was perfect for me).   However, a dealer should explain the options and offer the service of providing the one you choose (mine did).  It seems from your post that you only have the option of one dealer.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have a Synology NAS as well. I keep it in a cabinet far away from my listening chair. Five 16TB drives configured for Raid 6. Synology M3 drives for both input and output caching. If the unit has a fan I have never heard it. I am very pleased with it.

Five years from now we will have all SSD NAS setups and we will have to pay hundreds of dollars for them. LOL

On 2/4/2024 at 6:44 PM, krass said:

I keep my local music on the Grimm SSD but only because it’s convenient to maintain 1 copy there as one of 3 physical copies for backup purposes:

Copy 1: on my main computer

Copy 2: a proper backup from Copy 1 to a physically remote NAS

Copy 3: rsync of Copy 1 to the Grimm SSD.. acts as local playback

It would not worry me playing from a NAS instead of the SSD…

Just to share: For my modest music collection ( <2 TB), I added an extra account on my Microsoft Office 365 family licence to make a backup in the cloud (music and Roon backup).

The Microsoft 365 family subscription allows 6 members in total, standard with 1 TB each. I also have an annual local backup on a HDD, just in case.

5 hours ago, FredM said:

Just to share: For my modest music collection ( <2 TB), I added an extra account on my Microsoft Office 365 family licence to make a backup in the cloud (music and Roon backup).

The Microsoft 365 family subscription allows 6 members in total, standard with 1 TB each. I also have an annual local backup on a HDD, just in case.

Offsite/cloud backup is nice.  Never know when the house will burn down or a the "big one" will happen out here in the Bay Area. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I don’t choose to backup to the cloud. But I do have my collection backed up on multiple computers, and multiple external hard drives that I keep offline until I update them. Multiple computers, multiple hard drives, in two different states. I think that will do.

8 minutes ago, aangen said:

I don’t choose to backup to the cloud. But I do have my collection backed up on multiple computers, and multiple external hard drives that I keep offline until I update them. Multiple computers, multiple hard drives, in two different states. I think that will do.

That should work as long as at least one state is not in the path of unfortunate weather events and the location of the drives are both upstairs.  Never know when a 100-year flood will arrive.  And these days, with rapid climate change...🤪

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 hours ago, ls13 said:

At the end of the day, I think the Mu2 is fantastic, but it's sound characteristics will need to fit into the rest of the system, and match the purchaser's tastes. 

Thanks for sharing your experience👍. That’s what it is all about, finding your personal favourites, in your room with your other gear (no such thing as an overall ‘best’). Enjoy your new Accuphase C3900 pre amp as soon as you have received it 😀