IGNORED

Blind listening at Schiit

Wow.  Interesting.  And impressed with his honesty regarding the very small differences and dismissing some of the more radical subjectivists' beliefs re. output devices, cables, etc.

More common ground emerging......(?)

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

So, this guy is talking Schitt and you believe him?  Ok, had to say that.  This is really interesting stuff.  Thanks for the link.  I think the only blind listening I have done was with speakers and the difference, and my preference, was very obvious.  

My own experience that you need to live with a new piece of equipment for months to truly appreciate it fully aligns well with this part of his post:  Human hearing seems to be more integrative than differential, so those small differences between components may be magnified over time, and therefore seem larger and more important than during rapid switching.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

When is a Schiit test not a test and how Schitt is the test?

Well first kudos to the Schiits for delivering a more balanced approach to the Blinding debate.

They are suggesting blind listening over blind testing . Their (as well as mine and others) premise is that tests are anxiety provoking and they suggest therefore blind "listening" may be less anxiety provoking. I'm not sure I was completely convinced with the distinction:

"listening to hidden audio components in a low-stress environment. Afterwards, you might pick a favorite, comment on any differences you might hear, or try to identify the product. But there’s no forced choices, no time limit, no pressure…and “there is no difference” is a totally cool answer."

To the extent that it is just preference based - Preference and difference are related but not equivalent.  What if A and B were chocolate vs Vanilla ice cream. There can be strong difference but no particular preference either way.

They are really asking to discern a difference and I doubt saying "chill out, its okay to fail" will make people less anxious.

Anxiety is well known to influence test performances and is one of the reasons conventional audio blind testing has been challenged. You remove one bias (expectation bias) but introduce another in the form of an inter-dependent variable (anxiety). Hawthorne effect (Observational bias) may also be relevant.

Even successfully removing one bias does not guarantee that the test is somehow now magically validated. Failure to tell a difference may be due to some other methodological design flaw. This is notwithstanding that sighted listening will produce false positives due to obvious "tells". The fact that nothing else has (seemingly) changed when the tell is removed would appear, prima facie , to equate with the tell (brand, appearance, whatever) being the *only* reason a difference could have been heard. This conclusion only follows if you can demonstrate the test is valid and reliable *in the first place* so that it will pick up on all possible true positives and produce no false negatives (and those measurements cited) ; and that you haven't introduced other confounders.

Blind tests are fine but all tests must be cited. Maybe it sounds catchier as, Non-sighted tests must be cited 🤔😁. Tests of test measurements aka calibration against a gold standard of known accuracy.

Only small differences or indeed no differences will tend to be yielded in tests that are biased to false negatives (Type 2 error). Everything will supposedly sound the same. There is widespread subjective belief that blind tests are unreliable and there is some evidence to support a systematic bias  towards a high risk of concluding that audible differences are inaudible (type 2 error).

How Conventional Statistical Analyses Can Prevent Finding Audible Differences in Listening Tests

Leventhal -Type 1 and Type 2 Errors in the Statistical Analysis of Listening Tests

Sound Minds Mind Sound